Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

ford ranger drivetrain swap?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  text_missing 
#1 ·
i was wondering if it would be possible to fit a ranger 2.3 and its tranny in a first gen escape by "massaging" the driveshaft tunnel and using the sock rearend. im mostly wondering if the 2.3 will fit north-south in the engine bay without pushing the firewall back, and would the duratec from a ranger would plug into the wiring harness on the escape the same as the stock motor, since they are the same engine

#3 ·
I think it'd be a challenge but if you're up for it, I'd say go ahead and try. Hopefully someone else will chime in on this

#4 ·
The Escape is based on a front wheel drive unibody sedan, the Ranger is a rear wheel drive body on frame pickup. To do what you want would be like converting from front wheel to rear wheel drive.
If this was easy to do, you should probably find videos from people who have done it in the past 16 years.
There's reasons that junkyards have lots of old Escapes with blown engines that get parted out instead of brought back to life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.