Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

07 3.0L Engine Swap Possibilities?

7K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Tdogg77 
#1 ·
What are possible engine swaps for an 07 Escape? I wanted to turbo the original 3.0L but I'm starting to think an engine swap would be a better idea :?

#2 ·
Anything is possible if you have the $$$$....

What motor and what year are you thinking?

The hardest things will be mating the engine with the transmission and also making sure your transmission can handle the extra power.

The CD4E transmission was only used up until 2008 I believe. 2009+ Ford switched to the 6F35.

Swapping the transmission with the engine may bring other issues into play like getting the CV shafts to match up with with the knuckles on the front of the vehicle. I don't know how backwards compatible the 6F35 tranny is with the 08 and older Escapes.

I can tell you the 09-2012 Escape had a similar layout to the 05-08 engines and used a 6F35. The thing to check is the differences in how the CD4E and 6F35 attach to the engine (bolt pattern) and the starter. 2013 is when Ford completely reengineered the vehicle so any drive train swaps from 2013+ will cost even more.

You'll also need the Main Harness, Engine Harness, and PCM from the donor car as well as wiring diagrams for both your Escape and donor vehicle so you properly mate the main harness to your cars electrical system.

You may also need some custom fabrication in the way of exhaust tubing and/or motor and transmission mounts.

There's a ton of other stuff but that should give you some info to ponder.

#3 ·
14theRoad said:
Anything is possible if you have the $$$$....

What motor and what year are you thinking?

The hardest things will be mating the engine with the transmission and also making sure your transmission can handle the extra power.

The CD4E transmission was only used up until 2008 I believe. 2009+ Ford switched to the 6F35.

Swapping the transmission with the engine may bring other issues into play like getting the CV shafts to match up with with the knuckles on the front of the vehicle. I don't know how backwards compatible the 6F35 tranny is with the 08 and older Escapes.

I can tell you the 09-2012 Escape had a similar layout to the 05-08 engines and used a 6F35. The thing to check is the differences in how the CD4E and 6F35 attach to the engine (bolt pattern) and the starter. 2013 is when Ford completely reengineered the vehicle so any drive train swaps from 2013+ will cost even more.

You'll also need the Main Harness, Engine Harness, and PCM from the donor car as well as wiring diagrams for both your Escape and donor vehicle so you properly mate the main harness to your cars electrical system.

You may also need some custom fabrication in the way of exhaust tubing and/or motor and transmission mounts.

There's a ton of other stuff but that should give you some info to ponder.
I wanted to go the route of a 2.0 Ecoboost but as you said it would be a lot of work. I was just looking to bet more power out of it. It's either an engine swap or trying to figure out a custom turbo setup but trying to get it tuned us going to be the hardest part.

#4 ·
I'm thinking narrowed 9" in the rear / D-44 up front / D-24 case mated to a C-4 / 302 V-8 .030 over would do me just fine!
I once mated a 71' Maverick to a 71' Toyota Landcruiser-it couldn't be as hard as that was. :thumb:

#5 ·
No offense but the Escape is not really something that pops into my head when someone says engine swap. I would just try to trade up to a clean 09-12 V6 or a 13-up 2.0L Ecoboost. From there maybe an SUV or an Escape may not be the right car for me and would maybe look at a Mazdaspeed3 or a WRX/STi.

#6 ·
Look into getting a custom engine tune. It'll be money better spent. Torrie on here can set you up with that :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.