Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Full Size Spare Relocate

6K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Sevencycle 
#1 ·
Hey! New here but not to my '01 E. While cursing though pictures of fully build overland rigs,I couldn't help but wonder if any one has made a rear spare tire mount for the E. Much like a Jeep or Landy. I figured there is no reason why I couldn't mount something like this right to the hatch:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Bumpers-Tire ... UG11585.01

I think it would look slick and keep it off the roof,Plus maybe a spot trail jack somehow...

Cheers!

#2 ·
Thats interesting, dont think I've seen one before but I would want to reinforce the hatch right behind the bracket. Not sure if it comes with big washers or a steel plate or anything, but that would be a lot of weight added to a door that probably wasnt designed for it. You may also have to consider the door shocks if it wont stay open, as well as make sure theres clearance for the wiper.
I'd probably start by sitting the tire on the bumper and see how it looks lol.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Yeah it does seam a little unethical lol. Would defiantly need a sort of plate on the back side and probably stronger shocks for the hatch. Plus the exterior of the hatch isnt flat and easy to mount too like a jeep. Hmmm might be a lost cause :? Ive also looked in to the hitch mount tire carriers witch seem like they would look good and work but then I would have to remove it to haul the boat. There must be a way!

#6 ·
Pretty sure some of the hitchgate tire carriers have another receiver on the back of them. Or email the company and see if they have advice. I think that'd be your best bet. Unless you want a full size spare up on your roof

#7 ·
#9 ·
Yeah! Figured I may be able to scrap or find one on craigslist from either a wrangler or like a zr2 blazer

#10 ·
What if you construct a mount for the inside of the cargo area, driver side, like how the Jeep XJ and old suburbans came?

#11 ·
I try to keep the cargo area as open as possible for the built-in storage/camp kitchen cabinet and sleeping room for solo camp trips. Thus trying to keep the spare outside and utilize the area that stock spare goes in for storage.

#12 ·
I had the swing away spare tire carrier on both a '71 Blazer and a '74 Bronco II before they were even known as a II. Both were great but did rattle a bit.

Surely somebody out there (California) must offer a simple kit for Escapes.

They also make rear luggage carriers for the hitch that swing up vertical when not in use. Could you make a simple spare mount out of this principal? Just swing it down to access the rear cargo area. I've seen similar on motorhomes with rear storage compartments.

#13 ·
Not real familiar with the 01-04 escape, but maybe you could cut out the spare tire well inside the trunk and make it bigger to fit a fullsize spare? Or cut it out completely and weld it flat and mount the spare underneath like the 05-07. This of course is if you could even fit a full size spare underneath or inside. Tape measure time. :yes:

#14 ·
I do like the idea of a swing down cargo carrier of sorts. Would just go with the hitch mount tire carrier that lays down flat to access that hatch but they are $250+. As for re-fabbing the stock spare area, Im no welding guru and hopefully getting the spare out of there to have room for camping gear....or a maybe pressurized on-board water system :rockon:

#15 ·
Drjames said:
I do like the idea of a swing down cargo carrier of sorts. Would just go with the hitch mount tire carrier that lays down flat to access that hatch but they are $250+. As for re-fabbing the stock spare area, Im no welding guru and hopefully getting the spare out of there to have room for camping gear....or a maybe pressurized on-board water system :rockon:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... R&_sacat=0

#16 ·
Think Im gunna pull the trigger on the whole set up next paycheck. Gunna go with the rugged ridge HD mount. After researching and measuring and re-measuring, in theory it should work. Going to mount it right where the rear plate is. The mounts footprint is 8''x10'' so I should have plenty of room to mount securely. Also the mount put the spare lugs 10'' away from the hatch witch should be enough to have the tire clear the rear bumper,because it will hang a bit lower than the bumper its self.

A back plate on the inside of the hatch along with a silicon caulking or bushing of sorts in the both holes (to reduce vibrations and movement if there is any) should create a secure mounting area. The mount its self is made for a 35'' tire on a jeep so I have no doubt in the strenghth in the product.

Also going to try this http://landroverforums.com/forum/discov ... 8-a-36063/
to mount a hi lift.

Ill be sure to post pictures of the process and final product. I figure worst case I would have to get stronger door shocks

#17 ·
I relocated mine to the roof rack. Its a full size alloy wheel/tire. I added 2 beefed up cross pieces to support the wheel. I bought a Yakima spare tire mounting kit p/n 8007076. I had to fab a new base plate to attach it to the cross pieces using some muffler hanger u bolts that conformed to the cross pieces perfectly. I used the attach plate, ubolt and vbolt from the kit as is. There was some other fab required as well w some aluminum square tubing. The tire mounts right side up instead of upside down. I also bonded a piece of rubber to the attach plate to prevent marring on my powder coat.
I attached some eye bolts to the rack side rails for using a 3point ratchet strap that I got from Home Depot for under $20. Most other suppliers of a similar product were charging over $90. I have some pictures but I am waiting for approval to attach.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.