2008 Escape Hybrid won't start - HELP Please

Got a problem? Want to find the solution? Check here!

2008 Escape Hybrid won't start - HELP Please

Postby jimc137 - October 27th, 2016, 12:58 am

I got the red triangle of death and yellow wrench, car won't start, replaced hybrid battery (with used) as diagnosed by ford, still no start.
Here are the codes I pulled

P0a0a-ff high voltage interlock open

U0111-60 Lost communication with batt energy control module A

U2023-60 Fault from ext node

P0a28-ff Hybrid batt power off circuit low

P1000-ff OBD rediness test incomplete (just need to drive around - replaced 12v batter)

P1a10-ff Hybrid powertrain control module disabled

P1a14-ff Hybrid Transmission disabled

U0111-ff Low 12V battery

any insights would be greatly appreciated.
checked all fuses, all are good - under hood and in pass compartment center console.
jimc137

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: 2008 Escape Hybrid won't start - HELP Please

Postby wptski - October 27th, 2016, 8:21 am

More Escape Hybrid traffic at: http://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f26/
Bill

What a waste of space, huge pictures of your cars, lists of cars you've own, addons, etc!
wptski

E-C LEVEL 7
My vehicle: '09 Ford Escape Limited, 4WD

Postby TributeLove - October 27th, 2016, 1:31 pm

I know nothing about Hybrids, but basic electronic knowledge would indicate;

Sounds like a bad connection - earth point, broken wire (high resistance = voltage drop), or something?

If not that, then the voltage detection system in the control module - what ever the control module is?
TributeLove

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!

Postby Linna - October 28th, 2016, 10:38 pm

How do you know the battery you had replaced was bad and used battery is good? It's pretty unusual for hybrid batteries to fail on their own.
At one glance, it looks like the vehicle was in a crash and/or airbags went off, shutting down the high voltage battery system. Not sure if the vehicle can be brought back to life in that situation for a reasonable cost.
Linna

E-C LEVEL 6
My vehicle: 2007 Ford Escape 4WD

Postby jimc137 - November 7th, 2016, 7:00 pm

Vehicle was last diagnosed by FORD and was told the battery was bad. I replaced it with a battery from craigslist and am still having the same issues. I will be replacing it from my 05 escape hybrid next to confirm if it is the battery or not since i know the one in my 05 works perfectly.

no signs of accident, was purchased from gov auction and has very low miles, 58K. very clean inside and out.

tried both red buttons in front and back of car, checked wires under jack.
jimc137

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby djames28 - November 10th, 2016, 10:51 am

My [not able to start a hybrid] experience was due to Ground Lead (part of the wiring harness) that was failed to be noticed and reattached.
djames28

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My nickname: djim
My vehicle: 2005 Escape V6 XLT AWD

Postby Linna - November 13th, 2016, 10:22 am

jimc137 wrote:Vehicle was last diagnosed by FORD and was told the battery was bad. I replaced it with a battery from craigslist and am still having the same issues. I will be replacing it from my 05 escape hybrid next to confirm if it is the battery or not since i know the one in my 05 works perfectly.

no signs of accident, was purchased from gov auction and has very low miles, 58K. very clean inside and out.

tried both red buttons in front and back of car, checked wires under jack.

It makes perfect sense, then, that the vehicle was in an accident, flood, or fire and was sold for salvage/parts by a government agency. Otherwise at 58K miles and running fine it would very likely still be in service. The agency probably evaluated if they could get it fixed like you're doing and decided against it. Since governments self-insure, they wouldn't have to report the loss to an insurance company.
Linna

E-C LEVEL 6
My vehicle: 2007 Ford Escape 4WD

Postby jimc137 - November 14th, 2016, 10:44 pm

do you happen to know where the ground lead was?
jimc137

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby jimc137 - January 10th, 2017, 9:09 pm

Problem solved, had to bring it to the dealer, after 8 hours of diagnostic time, they found a corroded wire...they wouldn't tell me exactly where is was, only that it was between the battery junction box and the traction batter...it was a gray/red wire. saw signs of wiring harness inspection in engine bay behind battery and under drivers side dash.

The corroded wire caused all the codes and issues. so far it's been running perfectly.
jimc137

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Squirrel - January 11th, 2017, 1:28 pm

jimc137 wrote:Problem solved, had to bring it to the dealer, after 8 hours of diagnostic time, they found a corroded wire...they wouldn't tell me exactly where is was, only that it was between the battery junction box and the traction batter...it was a gray/red wire. saw signs of wiring harness inspection in engine bay behind battery and under drivers side dash.

The corroded wire caused all the codes and issues. so far it's been running perfectly.

Thanks for the update and glad it is working for you now. :thumb:
'04 Escape XLT | V-6 | FWD | Factory Bug Shield | Boss Audio BV9384NV double din touchscreen w/NAV | Esky EC170-08 High Definition Color CMOS Waterproof Car Backup Camera | Geartist GTS8500b Reverse Backup Radar Sound Alert | CIPA 36400 Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror with Compass and Temperature | carfieldenterprise.com Strut Tower Brace
Squirrel

E-C LEVEL 4
My nickname: Squirrel!
My vehicle: 2004 XLT FWD; 2006 FEH AWD
My vehicle's name: Wannabe Bronco; Ghost

Return to Problems And Solutions