Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Weight Distribution of Escape

9K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  camusdarrach 
#1 ·
I have looked all over the Interwebs looking for the approximate percentage weight distribution, front to rear, for the Gen 3 Escapes.

The reason I am asking relates to whether or not I can safely tow my 2016 Escape on a tow dolly equipped with Maxxis ST185/80R13 Load Range C tires. According to the Maxxis Trailer Tire Load/Inflation Chart, this particular tire can handle a load of 1,480 lbs at a cold inflation of 50 psi.

My best guess for the curb weight for my Escape is 3,582 lbs. I know FWD vehicles are heaver on the front axle than the rear. I have made calculations that show I should be good for 60% of the curb weight on the front axle, 65%, and 70%. Based on all three of these scenarios, I should be good with the Load Range C tires.

Does anyone know what the approximate front/rear weight distribution on this generation of Escapes? Is there any place on the Interwebs that lists this percentage?

#2 ·
I couldn't find anything specific to the Escape, but just about every other FWD crossover/SUV in it's class is 60/40, including the Edge. My guess is that the E is pretty close to that :shrug:

EDIT: Also the Focus which of course the E is based on is also 60/40

#3 ·
MadMax said:
I couldn't find anything specific to the Escape, but just about every other FWD crossover/SUV in it's class is 60/40, including the Edge. My guess is that the E is pretty close to that :shrug:

EDIT: Also the Focus which of course the E is based on is also 60/40
I suspect you are real close Max. I do plan on putting the Escape on the CAT Scale to get an actual weight on the front versus rear.

Like I said earlier, I "guestimated" based on 60%, 65%, and 70% front weight and am good for my Load Range C tire. My previous tire was a Load Range D which has 2 additional plies, is capable of handling more weight, has a higher maximum cold tire pressure, etc.

#5 ·
Jay2TheRescue said:
That's one thing I like about having a 4wd hybrid... The weight is more evenly distributed.
Your Hybrid can be flat towed Jay according to Ford. Source: 2008 Ford Towing Guide, page 12. If my Escape could be flat towed in either the FWD or AWD configuration, I wouldn't be agonizing over this. :rant:

#6 ·
Wife came across this file on the Interwebs. Weight Guidelines.

What it says is this:

Determine the front end weight of your car to be towed. To do this you must weigh the front end of your car (at a truck stop, etc.). As an estimate, you can multiply the curb weight of your car by 62% for a front wheel drive, and by 52% for
a rear wheel drive car. These percentages are approximations and should not take the place of an actual weight.
Like I said before, I have made assumptions of 60%, 62%, 65%, 70%, 75% and 80% of the Escape's curb weight of 3,582 lbs biased to the front axle. And assuming a 50%/50% Left/Right weight distribution of the front axle weight, I can successfully use a Load Range C tow dolly tire safely to tow my Escape.

If I assume the front axle weight is distributed 55% / 45% (in other words, one side of the front axle has more weight than the other), I can not safely tow my Escape using the tow dolly for 75% and 80% of the Escape curb weight of 3,582 lbs biased to the front axle.

#7 ·
Charles said:
Jay2TheRescue said:
That's one thing I like about having a 4wd hybrid... The weight is more evenly distributed.
Your Hybrid can be flat towed Jay according to Ford. Source: 2008 Ford Towing Guide, page 12. If my Escape could be flat towed in either the FWD or AWD configuration, I wouldn't be agonizing over this. :rant:
All FEH models are flat towable.

#8 ·
Over here, it's an offence to tow a vehicle behind a campervan / RV using a tow dolly, or A frame etc, due to anything being towed over 740kgin weight requires brakes that activate when the tow vehicle brakes.

The only exception is if the vehicle being towed has broken down during a journey, and is being taken either back home or to a garage to be repaired.

So we can only use a trailer to put a car on behind a campervan, but to me that is far safer, as well as easier to reverse etc.

So why not trailer the Escape.....?

#9 ·
Thinking about towing etc, and recalling my vast experience in recovering all types of vehicles, from tractors to 40 ton arctic trucks, have you considered the centre of balance will be affected when the front end is raised up, i.e. loaded on the dolly.

The act of raising the front end will put more weight on the rear axle, and it can make a huge difference, just ask any tow truck driver.

Yes the front is supported on the road, but the vehicle isn't on the road as the manufacturer intended, and worse case scenario is damage to the rear wheel area, as the angle of contact is greater than was designed.

I mention this as I have in the past had to deal with damage by so called suspended tows, causes more damage than you think, especially over a period of time.

For towing your Escape, the best ans safest way is all wheels off the road, i.e. on a trailer.

Sorry.

#10 ·
camusdarrach said:
Thinking about towing etc, and recalling my vast experience in recovering all types of vehicles, from tractors to 40 ton arctic trucks, have you considered the centre of balance will be affected when the front end is raised up, i.e. loaded on the dolly.

The act of raising the front end will put more weight on the rear axle, and it can make a huge difference, just ask any tow truck driver.

Yes the front is supported on the road, but the vehicle isn't on the road as the manufacturer intended, and worse case scenario is damage to the rear wheel area, as the angle of contact is greater than was designed.

I mention this as I have in the past had to deal with damage by so called suspended tows, causes more damage than you think, especially over a period of time.

For towing your Escape, the best ans safest way is all wheels off the road, i.e. on a trailer.

Sorry.
I wish I could flat tow the Escape but Ford says, Nooooo!!!! :doh:

#12 ·
camusdarrach said:
Over here, it's an offence to tow a vehicle behind a campervan / RV using a tow dolly, or A frame etc, due to anything being towed over 740kgin weight requires brakes that activate when the tow vehicle brakes.

The only exception is if the vehicle being towed has broken down during a journey, and is being taken either back home or to a garage to be repaired.

So we can only use a trailer to put a car on behind a campervan, but to me that is far safer, as well as easier to reverse etc.

There is a device sold here in the states called a "Brake Buddy", I'm sure its probably available over there too. You put it on the driver's seat, and you attach its arm to the brake pedal. When the motorhome brakes, the brake buddy applies the brakes in the towed vehicle as well.

#13 ·
Jay2TheRescue said:
camusdarrach said:

There is a device sold here in the states called a "Brake Buddy", I'm sure its probably available over there too. You put it on the driver's seat, and you attach its arm to the brake pedal. When the motorhome brakes, the brake buddy applies the brakes in the towed vehicle as well.
The dolly I purchased to tow the Escape has a self contained braking system on it so no additional braking system is necessary. It is hydraulic and actuates disc brakes located on the dolly wheels automatically if the dolly ever becomes detached from my motorhome. If I were to flat tow a vehicle, I would have to purchase a system similar to the "Brake Buddy" that Jay mentioned.

#14 ·
Over here, the tow buddy is illegal, as the vehicle being towed, being classed as a trailer over 740kg has to have equal braking pressure acting on all wheels that are in contact with the road at all times, the use of a braked towing dolly is only allowed to be used to move a vehicle that is road legal, but has broken down.

The legislation was introduced because too many accidents were happening due to people tnot knowing how to use dollies properly.

Btw a dolly has a max speed limit of 20mph when in use over here, 30 mph if unloaded.

#16 ·
I do realise that it's used for flat towing, the problem is whilst it use the cars brakes, the way a vehicle braking system is designed, most force acts on the front, therefore not equal between front and rear, hence illegal over here.

When using one of the towing buddies, or even a dolly, if you have to make an emergency stop, esp when travelling over say 30mph, the towed vehicle can act as a pendulum, causing all kinds of problems, there have been a number of incidents over here due to this, hence the use been outlawed.

Having being involved in an accident due to somebody using one of these setups, yes in capable hands they are good, but so many decided to use them without understanding the limitations, esp travelling at highway speeds....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.