Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Transmission Fluid

5K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  ITBland 
#1 ·
After replacing a cv axle, I need to top off the transmission on my 2008 escape hybrid. Info off the internet is mixed as to type of fluid. What is the straight skinny from folks on this forum as to what fluid to use?

#6 ·
Well, to add to the confusion. Being an Amsoil product user, I went to use the Amsoil Automatic Transmission fluid which lists it meeting Mercon V specs, and than lo and behold, right at the bottom of the listing on the container, it says not for CVT transmissions. Seems as if the container listing contradicts itself.

#10 ·
So then, just use regular Mercon V and DO NOT use CVT fluid?! Interesting. :?

#11 ·
Reviving an older topic for anyone searching,
Escape FEH uses an eCVT, with two electric motors changing the ratio of the transmission using a planetary gear set, not a chain.
The Transmission fluid needed has changed and the new chart is here: Automatic Transmission Fluid Chart (v12 dated 03/2018) (Column "AW ECVT")
2005 - 2008 FEH now use MERCON® V, Ford part number XT-5
2009 - 2012 FEH now use MERCON® LV, Ford part number XT-10

Note the warning in the PDF:
Due to fluid recommendation changes approved by Ford Motor Company, some older owner guides, workshop manuals, and fluid level indicators may not show the same fluid as the above chart. For those applications, service with the fluid shown in this chart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.