Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

wtf now.. Engine noise

11K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  Squirrel 
#1 ·
So yesterday morning when I went out to my car to leave for work, it was making an abnormal rattle-rumble. It was roughly 0545 (I work at 0630) so I really didnt have much time to investigate.

This morning I pop my hood and the noise is coming from the left side of the Duratec. So now I get to play super-fun Ear game, " Try to diagnose that noise"..

I'm sure its on the beltline somewhere and/but I hope its not my Waterpump,A/C Clutch or my Power steering.

If this noise keeps up, looks like I'm gonna be taking her in to the Doc (mechanic) ..

A/C has suffered alot this summer, even after a recharge, so maybe it is the A/C Clutch.. :wall: :wall: :wall:

Edit: The noise doesn't seem to stop when I turn off the A/C, so that might not be it.. fuq

#3 ·
HuntingEscape said:
any other symptoms other than noise? dimming lights, loss of engine power, rough idle, leaking fluids?
I have not noticed any fluids or an abnormal idle.

Have had a door ajar issue but thats most likely completely irrelevant.

#5 ·
boogie_4wheel said:
I had a serpentine belt stretch, and the rattling was from the tensioner running out of room to take up the slack. It was at the end of its travel so it beat against the end of its rotation ability and made a hell of a noise.
Escapes/Mariners have timing chains and not belts, so I doubt that's the problem

#6 ·
Hmmmm.
Mine has a serpentine belt. (more commonly referred to as a Fan belt).

I would think though, if the belt was stretched enough to make a loud noise, you'd have weak or flickering lights,
lousy steering, bad AC, etc.

My guess would be a bad bearing on something.
Time for probing with a metal stick to find the culprit.
:thumb:

#7 ·
Touringmike said:
Hmmmm.
Mine has a serpentine belt. (more commonly referred to as a Fan belt).

I would think though, if the belt was stretched enough to make a loud noise, you'd have weak or flickering lights,
lousy steering, bad AC, etc.

My guess would be a bad bearing on something.
Time for probing with a metal stick to find the culprit.
:thumb:
I do have s_hitty AC..

Here's a video I just took..
You hear the sound best beginning at :09 ....

#8 ·
Whatever it is, I pray it's not too expensive

#9 ·
Possibly power steering pump?

#10 ·
Sounds like the serpentine belt tensioner bearing. Not PS or AC. Though, I wouldn't rule out the Clutch, but when my AC clutch went bad (on a different vehicle) it rattled more and did stop/start the noise if the AC was on/off.

If you can, hit up Harbor Freight and get one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics- ... 69913.html

It will help narrow down the location/cause. :thumb:

Comments about Pittsburgh Automotive Mechanic's Stethoscope:
used to isolate noise in accessory drive belt idler pully. works great
BOTTOM LINE Yes, I would recommend this to a friend

#11 ·
Squirrel said:
Sounds like the serpentine belt tensioner bearing. Not PS or AC. Though, I wouldn't rule out the Clutch, but when my AC clutch went bad (on a different vehicle) it rattled more and did stop/start the noise if the AC was on/off.

If you can, hit up Harbor Freight and get one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics- ... 69913.html

It will help narrow down the location/cause. :thumb:

Comments about Pittsburgh Automotive Mechanic's Stethoscope:
used to isolate noise in accessory drive belt idler pully. works great
BOTTOM LINE Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
I guess it wouldn't exactly hurt if I spent like $10 (combined) and bought a turkey baster and some Mercon ATF and swapped out the fluid in the PS reservoir.

#12 ·
Midshift said:
I guess it wouldn't exactly hurt if I spent like $10 (combined) and bought a turkey baster and some Mercon ATF and swapped out the fluid in the PS reservoir.
While a turkey baster will work, I highly recommend this tool (I have and use) instead. You will find ALOT of other uses/needs for it as well. http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-flui ... 92924.html

#13 ·
Well, I just used an empty spray bottle and got the old fluid out of the reservoir at least.

Refilled it with some Lucas Oil PS Fluid, turned the wheel from lock to lock for like 5-10 minutes, drove around the block, doing some turns, parked it, went inside for like 4 hours, then did this all again...

Even if the PS didn't NEED to be changed, it is now changed (the simple change, not flushed)...

Engine noise def. seems to be coming from the beltline, I just cant figure out where...

I think I'm gonna hafta call a mechanic on Monday :(

#14 ·
Mechanic thinks it the tensioner...

#16 ·
MadMax said:
Makes sense :yes:
So, I will be spending $70 on Friday for a tensioner and belt..
Yay for car parts :?

#17 ·
Midshift said:
MadMax said:
Makes sense :yes:
So, I will be spending $70 on Friday for a tensioner and belt..
Yay for car parts :?
Had a feeling. :yes:

Enjoy the quiet engine again. :rockon:

#19 ·
Yup. I buy the parts and my mechanic friend (been mechanic for 40+ years) will do the labor for roughly 1/2 to 1/4 of what a random shop would charge. :D
Sometimes it pays to have friends like that :yes:

Found a Dayco (89370) Tensioner from RockAuto..
I could go cheaper on the belt, but Dayco (5060840) PolyRIB belt from RockAuto..

Shouldn't be too bad unless he finds out something else is messed up (which at 87k* miles, I'd think not)

#20 ·
Work complete..

New Belt
New Belt Tensioner
New Idler Pulley ...........................................................................................

and its the AC Compressor ... :censor: :censor: :censor: :censor: :censor: :censor: :censor: :censor: :censor: :censor:

So, SOON I will be buying a compressor, for install. :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

#21 ·
:wall: :rant: :bill:

Well, look at it this way...you should never have to change the belt and/or idler pulley, again. :thumb:

#22 ·

New compressor..
Noise .. Gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.