Fueling an EcoBoost

Talk about anything related to your 2013 - 2016 Escape and 2012 - Present Kuga here!

Fueling an EcoBoost

Postby ND1983 - June 26th, 2016, 2:32 pm

The wife and i just closed a deal on a 16 Ruby Red SE fully loaded with a 2L EcoBoost.

talking to a few friends and we are split on this. Do we run the lower cost 87 octane fuel and or 91 octane. some say 91 will give better fuel mileage to offset the extra cost, others disagree...
That's why i'm here to ask, because those who have the Eco would know.
Nathan

2005 Ford Escape XLT Sport in Silver Metallic
2016 Ford Escape SE in Rubdy Red

Retired
2003 Pontiac Montana EXT in Dark Bronzemist Metallic
1999 Pontiac Montana EXT in Flat Black (16.854 @83mph)
ND1983

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Re: Fueling an EcoBoost

Postby SSE - June 26th, 2016, 3:17 pm

I'll be interested to see the answers as well. :)
SSE

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!
My vehicle: 2016 Escape Titanium, FWD

Postby Charles - June 26th, 2016, 3:46 pm

There is nothing about getting better mileage if you use premium gas. The only thing I found is related to this is premium will give improved performance under certain circumstances.

Source: 2016 Ford Escape Owner Manual, page 130

For vehicles with EcoBoost engines, to
provide improved performance, we
recommend premium fuel for severe duty
usage such as trailer tow.

The mileage you see for Shadow in my Fuelly signature is calculated using regular gas. The mileage for Ruby I was similar until I towed a trailer for 7,000 miles.
Image Image

Present vehicles
2016 Escape Titanium FWD, Shadow Black, Equipment Pkg 301A, Titanium Technology Package with HID Auto Headlamps, BLIS, Active Park Assist, 2.0L EcoBoost, Panoramic Vista Roof, SYNC3 with Navigation, 19" wheels

2012 Buick Verano Leather Group - Black Onyx - Sunroof, Navigation, Premium Exterior Package, WeatherTech DigitalFit liners (1st & 2nd Row)
Charles
Super Moderator and Supreme Overlord of Web Darkness

E-C LEVEL 21
My nickname: Charles
My vehicle: 2016 Escape Titanium FWD 2.0L
My vehicle's name: Shadow

Postby SSE - June 26th, 2016, 4:23 pm

Charles wrote:There is nothing about getting better mileage if you use premium gas. The only thing I found is related to this is premium will give improved performance under certain circumstances.

Source: 2016 Ford Escape Owner Manual, page 130

For vehicles with EcoBoost engines, to
provide improved performance, we
recommend premium fuel for severe duty
usage such as trailer tow.

The mileage you see for Shadow in my Fuelly signature is calculated using regular gas. The mileage for Ruby I was similar until I towed a trailer for 7,000 miles.

I'm still trying to figure out how you get that mileage on Shadow and I get max 19.4 on mine :)
SSE

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby Charles - June 26th, 2016, 4:31 pm

SSE wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how you get that mileage on Shadow and I get max 19.4 on mine :)

I think the main difference is I am traveling mostly on rural Interstates and you are driving in urban (metro Atlanta) Interstate traffic. The Escape LOVES rural interstate driving on cruise control (mostly posted speed limit plus 1 or 2 [65 or 70 mph]).

I am not sure if you are doing this, but I have only used Top Tier gasoline. I tend to use Costco gasoline because of its price as well as the amount of detergent additives in their gasoline is much higher than those required for "Regular" non-Top Tier gas. Here is a YouTube that explains what Top Tier gas is and how it works.

Otherwise, the difference is good, clean living... :bag:

If it makes you feel better, I am averaging 7.5 mpg in my 39 ft Recreational Vehicle!!! :shock:

Part of its issue is it weighs 26,000 lbs and it has the aerodynamics of a brick!!! :yes:
Image Image

Present vehicles
2016 Escape Titanium FWD, Shadow Black, Equipment Pkg 301A, Titanium Technology Package with HID Auto Headlamps, BLIS, Active Park Assist, 2.0L EcoBoost, Panoramic Vista Roof, SYNC3 with Navigation, 19" wheels

2012 Buick Verano Leather Group - Black Onyx - Sunroof, Navigation, Premium Exterior Package, WeatherTech DigitalFit liners (1st & 2nd Row)
Charles

E-C LEVEL 21

Postby SSE - June 26th, 2016, 8:06 pm

Charles wrote:
SSE wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how you get that mileage on Shadow and I get max 19.4 on mine :)

I think the main difference is I am traveling mostly on rural Interstates and you are driving in urban (metro Atlanta) Interstate traffic. The Escape LOVES rural interstate driving on cruise control (mostly posted speed limit plus 1 or 2 [65 or 70 mph]).

I am not sure if you are doing this, but I have only used Top Tier gasoline. I tend to use Costco gasoline because of its price as well as the amount of detergent additives in their gasoline is much higher than those required for "Regular" non-Top Tier gas. Here is a YouTube that explains what Top Tier gas is and how it works.

Otherwise, the difference is good, clean living... :bag:

If it makes you feel better, I am averaging 7.5 mpg in my 39 ft Recreational Vehicle!!! :shock:

Part of its issue is it weighs 26,000 lbs and it has the aerodynamics of a brick!!! :yes:

Well I'm screwed on that good clean living thing I guess LOL :angel: Yep, Atlanta traffic is a you know what......

I've never heard of top tier, I tend to put in Shell or BP. And yes, it does make me feel better LOL
SSE

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby Charles - June 26th, 2016, 8:41 pm

SSE wrote:Yep, Atlanta traffic is a you know what......

Well aware of Atlanta traffic. Friday evening rush hour starts Thursday at noon!!!
Image Image

Present vehicles

Charles

E-C LEVEL 21

Postby mreed2483 - January 10th, 2017, 6:04 am

Shell is a TopTier gas as is BP
[b]Protected by AmsOil fluids and lubricants
mreed2483

E-C LEVEL 2