Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

New to site

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  mitchk90 
#1 ·
Hi All, I am new to this site. I am in search of information. Ethel, is my 297,566 mile old, 2003 Escape. I absolutely love her, She not as fast as she used to be, she's getting a lot greyer, she leaks, makes funny noises and gives off odors from time to time, but hey I'm 60, and the same can be said of me :). Today however, I think the transmission gave out. I have looked at number of online posts and the symptoms could either be transmission failure or a shift solenoid. My question for the community is, is the solenoid inside the transmission or can it be replaced without taking the tranny out and apart? The engine and transmission are original equipment, i am more than happy to invest some money to keep Ethel but not sure if I want to invest a bunch of bucks to rebuild the transmission with an engine that has 300,000 miles.
Any advice is appreciated.

#2 ·
Welcome to the City!!! We are glad you joined us!!! :welcome:

Sorry you are having issues with Ethel. I am moving your post to our Problems and Solutions forum to increase exposure.

#4 ·
300K on a CD4E is extraordinary.

Anyway, a good scanner like a mechanic would use can check for transmission codes that might indicate a problem other than a dead trans. Solenoids can cause problems as the transmission range selector can.

I think you need to start with a scan.

John

#6 ·
Other than some sensors (like the TPS) most of the components of the CD4E are internal. It's not impossible to work on them, but you would have to really want to! I know when my tranny goes I'm going to take a stab at fixing or rebuilding it myself. I say if your engine, interior and everything else is good, get it fixed. It's cheaper than a car payment! :yes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.