Block heater?

Share your product reviews here!
Forum rules
Product reviews are provided for your enjoyment. These reviews reflect the opinions of members who have used these products and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Escape City. This forum is not intended for sales. Posts deemed to be sales-oriented are subject to removal by moderators of Escape City. Thank you for your understanding!

Re: Block heater?

Postby MazdaShark - October 10th, 2015, 8:06 am

Yeah the screw in block heater is cool I just don't know exactly how you go about pushing the metal cover that covers the existing hole out?
MazdaShark
Banned User

E-C LEVEL 3

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Postby MTNEscaped - October 10th, 2015, 10:44 am

Freeze plugs usually come out pretty easy, (if they're brass) by tapping on the inside lip (one side) with a flat blade screwdriver or small chisel-then take either a pair of channel locks or vise grips and work it back and forth while pulling on it. Never done it on a 3.0 / here's a pretty good image on where they are located:
2008 Ford Escape XLT 4WD
Plain Jane with K & N filter / Optima yellow top battery / Goodyear Gatorback serpentine belt / Sensen front struts
30+ years of ford parts that do me no good at all on MTNEscaped !
MTNEscaped

E-C LEVEL 3
My nickname: Mtnman
My vehicle: 2008 XLT Escape 4WD
My vehicle's name: MTNEscaped

Postby hungry_eye - October 12th, 2015, 12:17 am

Block heaters are quite reliable and do a good job in helping you car turn over on very cold evenings. I used to reside in a community where it would reach -45 C. A lot of cars would not start even with block heaters. Next to the block heater, your battery is your best friend. I was saved many times by using an Optima battery. It's important to change your coolant every second year. If you choose not to install a block heater, perhaps look into getting an oil pan heater. It an adhesive heating pad that sticks to your oil pan. VW's use them as there is no block heater frost plugs on VW engines. Remote starter is a nice add on as well. I prefer Compustar to the vipers..
hungry_eye

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 01 Ford Escape XLT, 3.0 4x4

Postby squawk1200 - December 26th, 2016, 12:55 am

I have a 2005 sls with 4 cylinder and am looking for a good pic that shows the freeze plug that needs to be removed for the block heater. I've seen some pics, but not sure I'm looking the front of the engine, back, or where the neck the freeze plug is located... Any more detailed drawings or descriptions would be appreciated....
squawk1200

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Previous

Return to Product Reviews