Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Block heater?

16K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  squawk1200 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever put or seen a block heater in a 1st gen V6? I really will be needing one to avoid head gasket issues this winter but can't find a good kit that doesn't look cheaply made. Any ideas are super helpful thanks!

#2 ·
Block heater are standard here in Canada, I have one from factory in my 02 and 05 in the past :thumb:

#3 ·
The only ones I've seen are put in thru a frost plug and then tightened with a nut or wingnut or something, I rarely use them, most vehicles here in Canada will do fine to -20 to -25C (-10F or so) with no block heater, when it gets that cold I will sometimes plug it in on a timer that starts 3-4 hours before I leave...if I remember, but I dont have to. After -25 then things dont like to start.
The biggest problems are usually batteries, many vehicles have battery blanket warmers as well as a block heater which helps, but I dont think these vehicles have them. My dodge has the blanket so am thinking about just grabbing one with the wiring from a wrecker.
Remember, wind chill doesnt affect vehicles, they may cool down faster, but for a car, -20 with a -35 wind chill is still only -20 to a car.

#4 ·
Interesting I wonder why I can't find an actual Ford part number. Maybe that means a stealership trip :hyst: but I do get what you mean about the wind chill not effecting much.

I have the problem of not getting any time to let the Mazda warm up before I take off, which obviously does some damage. Maybe a remote start would be easier I suppose if I can't find any.

#6 ·
I installed a remote start about 5 years ago, never really thought of them before that, but probably wont go back to not using them, the same as snow tires lol. For me it saves a couple minutes getting dressed then running down a flight of stairs and outside to start the car, then back in again. Even when its warm out I use it, I prefer to have the oil circulating and a bit of expansion to take place before I put a load on the engine so will start as I'm putting my shoes on.
I havent done a remote in any of these yet, but plan to do 2 of them this year.
Many people say to not start it a second early and thats their choice, I do what I do and have vehicles that last a long time, I dont get rid of them every couple years and dont drive the crap out of them.
I remember a friend of mine with a crapbox mazda glc or something, he would put it in first, not use the clutch, turn the key and the starter would slowly move the car until it started and then tear out of the driveway lol, the gas pedal didnt leave the floor much. It was kinda fun and neat when you were 20, but I wouldnt want to buy something thats been abused like that lol.

#7 ·
MazdaShark said:
If the car doesn't come with these default then is there simply a normal plug in there place?
Yes, the frost plugs, they are a round piece of stamped steel that you knock out. They are supposed to pop out and save your block from cracking in the winter if you accidentally use water instead of antifreeze or something like that lol, I'm sure theres many videos, but havent actually looked. You will notice them, about 3 circles going horizontally on an engine block, not the head.

#9 ·
I'm not sure what kind of frost plug is in these, I never really do anything with them, just barely notice them if I'm looking at the block. If a vehicle comes with a block heater I may use it a few times, but I havent had a car that hasnt started down to -25C yet and thats about the coldest we get and maybe only a few days a year.

I have a prostart, not sure who makes it, but its one of the pricier ones that retail almost $300 but go on sale for 100-150 1-2 times a year. Its got about 2400 foot range (ideal) and I've started my car from a good 1/4 mile away so the range is impressive, you dont have to stand 10 feet away to start it lol. It takes about a day, I solder everything and try to route wires out of the way and hidden, I prefer to have the factory look and not something that people say "I can see that you do all your own work" lol. Some vehicles have certain tricks or extra parts you need to make some of the options work.
Its been 5 years and used almost every day, uses a single AAA which is a bonus and I havent had any issues at all, sometimes the remote doesnt chime when it starts, but thats about it.

#10 ·
I never ever had problem starting my E's in the cold Canada's winter, never plug the block heater, now with my factory remote start, my E start every mornings that God and mother nature gives us :thumb: :thumb:

#11 ·
A couple years back I looked in to adding a block heater on mine. It replaces a freeze plug, and I want to say it was going to be about $150 installed at the dealership. It was dipping to -20*F. Slow cranking was expected, but it always started. And I was fortunate enough to allow 10min+ warmup time since it was parked right in front of my camp trailer.

I had added a block heater to a '97 GMC gas I had, it was a great upgrade, and I used it all winter for quicker warmups.

I prefer block heaters to remote start, but I also have easy access to my vehicles.

#13 ·
Yeah like I said I'm trying to spare the life of my head gaskets from the wear and tear of driving with no warm up time so I'm looking into an easier install application too, such as a heater that hooks in between the upper radiator hose. Anyone used one of these for a first gen V6?

#14 ·
MazdaShark said:
such as a heater that hooks in between the upper radiator hose. Anyone used one of these for a first gen V6?
I tried one of those in-line jobbers on that '97 GMC truck I mentioned above. It sucked. Complete waste of electricity. That is when I did the freeze plug unit.

It would work well at keeping dogs water bucket from freezing, but did nothing on the small block V8.

#15 ·
If you are just looking for a cheap, simple and maybe temporary solution, when I was 20 or so lol, I used a magnetic heater, just stuck it to the middle of the block and used it on very cold days, it stuck there for years and I think I removed it when I scrapped the car.
It wouldnt be as effective so you would need it turned on much longer because it would have to warm the block before the coolant starts to warm up. They would be much more effective on thinner steel like oil pans or oil tanks for home furnace oil. For some reason they wont stick to an aluminum oil pan lol.

#19 ·
I dont like leaving things unattended for extended periods, but thats me, If I'm plugged in then I like to park away from my garage a bit in case something happens, but I think most heaters only get to a certain temp before they shut off so that theres not much chance of them boiling away your oil as you sleep lol. A timer is good because it allows you to turn it on when needed, instead of 12 hours early when you get home from work the previous day. Many people and companies leave their vehicles plugged in for the same amount of time with no issues, if hydro is expensive than many use timers.
My issue is wasting hydro and possible risk of fire, even though its slim, you decide for yourself.

#20 ·
#22 ·
Freeze plugs usually come out pretty easy, (if they're brass) by tapping on the inside lip (one side) with a flat blade screwdriver or small chisel-then take either a pair of channel locks or vise grips and work it back and forth while pulling on it. Never done it on a 3.0 / here's a pretty good image on where they are located:

#23 ·
Block heaters are quite reliable and do a good job in helping you car turn over on very cold evenings. I used to reside in a community where it would reach -45 C. A lot of cars would not start even with block heaters. Next to the block heater, your battery is your best friend. I was saved many times by using an Optima battery. It's important to change your coolant every second year. If you choose not to install a block heater, perhaps look into getting an oil pan heater. It an adhesive heating pad that sticks to your oil pan. VW's use them as there is no block heater frost plugs on VW engines. Remote starter is a nice add on as well. I prefer Compustar to the vipers..

#24 ·
I have a 2005 sls with 4 cylinder and am looking for a good pic that shows the freeze plug that needs to be removed for the block heater. I've seen some pics, but not sure I'm looking the front of the engine, back, or where the neck the freeze plug is located... Any more detailed drawings or descriptions would be appreciated....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.