Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Removal of Front Seats

10K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  thesavo 
#1 ·
I'm figuring this should be fairly easy but I thought I'd ask anyway. I would like to remove my front seats so that I can re-paint the tracks. There is a lot of rust around the areas where the seats bolt to the floor and I'd like to fix it. Anyone else having or had this issue? The driver side seat is power operated and I have the side airbags. I would assume I would need to disconnect the wiring under the seat and just unbolt the seats. Things I'm thinking about: How hard is it to separate the tracks from the seat once out of the vehicle? Do I need to use a torque wrench to tighten the bolts back down? Do we need to do anything special do disconnect or connect the airbags? Stuff like that...

#3 ·
Holy Hand Grenade Batman!!! :shock:

Thanks for posting that for me jpark. I'm glad I asked 'cause I never expected that much work to take out a seat. I'm not sure I want to get into all that for some rust that I only see when I vacuum out my Escape. I wonder if I can mask off the carpet, seat and other interior bits and just paint it in place... hmmm...

#4 ·
I didn't expect it to be that much work, either!

:shock:

I can take a look at the diagrams again tomorrow to see if you can remove only the tracks and leave the seat sitting on the floor.

#6 ·
Me too... I don't really want to try this now. I didn't get to read thru all of it (because I'm stuck at work... at 9:30 pm) but it seems most of it has to do with the airbags. I don't want to play with them. Last thing I need it to replace them and my seats after accidently setting them off...

#8 ·
stone said:
Will you be installing a laptop mount?
Nope... wasn't planning on it. Just wanted to paint the rusting rails under the seat but decided against it when I saw all the steps involved because of the airbags.

#9 ·
jpark said:
I'm putting up a post for it under How-To: 2001-2004 Models.

It's... er... a little involved, especially with the airbags.

:shock:
Soooo I am new to the forum. I don't understand how to get to the write up you posted. I can get to the "How-To" section but then I don't see another subcategory for 2001-2004 Models. Is there a link or something?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.