Electric parking brake

Talk about anything related to your 2017 - Present Ford Escape/ New Ford Kuga here!

Electric parking brake

Postby montermahan - October 18th, 2016, 1:28 pm

I always called what they removed as the emergency brake which can be used if the regular brakes fail. what happens, if anything, if you apply this while moving?
montermahan

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Re: Electric parking brake

Postby Charles - October 18th, 2016, 2:48 pm

I don't know. :?

If my local Ford dealer wasn't waist-deep in renovating their showroom, I would ask for you.
Image Image

Present vehicles
2016 Escape Titanium FWD, Shadow Black, Equipment Pkg 301A, Titanium Technology Package with HID Auto Headlamps, BLIS, Active Park Assist, 2.0L EcoBoost, Panoramic Vista Roof, SYNC3 with Navigation, 19" wheels

2012 Buick Verano Leather Group - Black Onyx - Sunroof, Navigation, Premium Exterior Package, WeatherTech DigitalFit liners (1st & 2nd Row)
Charles
Super Moderator and Supreme Overlord of Web Darkness

E-C LEVEL 21
My nickname: Charles
My vehicle: 2016 Escape Titanium FWD 2.0L
My vehicle's name: Shadow

Electric parking brake

Postby AusEscape - October 22nd, 2016, 5:05 pm

Try it on a dirt road or wet grass would be good. I'm curious.
I have an 05 so I can't try it.
I have friends with newer cars that have them and I have wondered.
I guess it's just on and off so it might be a sudden stop. Lol.
It would answer the question for many. Give it a go.
AusEscape

E-C LEVEL 2
My vehicle: 2005 Ford Escape XLS 4x4 2.3L

Postby MadMax - October 22nd, 2016, 6:32 pm

I'm not sure either, but I highly doubt if it works while the car is in motion. Think of the lawsuits. The "E" in E-brake stands for electronic and not emergency
2010 Escape XLT 3.0 V6 AWD, Sun and Sync. Mods: OEM Running boards modded with LED lighting and red accent. LED lighting lower bumper front and rear. Paramount Grille, LED DRLs and fog lights, Interior LED accents, Custom Mud Flaps, Body side and bumper moldings, Blackened fog light bezels and ESCAPE letters, Chrome wheel skins, Tail light guards, Chrome exhaust tip, Custom roof rack with Carbon Fiber and red accents, Strut Tower bar, K&N filter, AVS Vent Visors

Formerly: 2006 Mazda Tribute

"Because I can... and I did, sure won't do that again"
MadMax
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 17

Postby AusEscape - October 23rd, 2016, 1:29 am

MadMax wrote:I'm not sure either, but I highly doubt if it works while the car is in motion. Think of the lawsuits. The "E" in E-brake stands for electronic and not emergency

That's no fun.
There goes any stunt driving.
AusEscape

E-C LEVEL 2
My vehicle: 2005 Ford Escape XLS 4x4 2.3L

Postby MadMax - October 23rd, 2016, 8:50 am

AusEscape wrote:
MadMax wrote:I'm not sure either, but I highly doubt if it works while the car is in motion. Think of the lawsuits. The "E" in E-brake stands for electronic and not emergency

That's no fun.
There goes any stunt driving.

Yeah, that's a common complaint about E-brakes
2010 Escape XLT 3.0 V6 AWD, Sun and Sync. Mods: OEM Running boards modded with LED lighting and red accent. LED lighting lower bumper front and rear. Paramount Grille, LED DRLs and fog lights, Interior LED accents, Custom Mud Flaps, Body side and bumper moldings, Blackened fog light bezels and ESCAPE letters, Chrome wheel skins, Tail light guards, Chrome exhaust tip, Custom roof rack with Carbon Fiber and red accents, Strut Tower bar, K&N filter, AVS Vent Visors

Formerly: 2006 Mazda Tribute

"Because I can... and I did, sure won't do that again"
MadMax
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 17

Postby Charles - October 24th, 2016, 12:01 pm

I went by my local Ford dealer and asked that question. The opinion of the service advisor who I normally deal with is you can not.

He mentioned that Lexis had electric parking brakes since 2013, Toyota since 2014. None of those can be activated while driving.
Image Image

Present vehicles
2016 Escape Titanium FWD, Shadow Black, Equipment Pkg 301A, Titanium Technology Package with HID Auto Headlamps, BLIS, Active Park Assist, 2.0L EcoBoost, Panoramic Vista Roof, SYNC3 with Navigation, 19" wheels

2012 Buick Verano Leather Group - Black Onyx - Sunroof, Navigation, Premium Exterior Package, WeatherTech DigitalFit liners (1st & 2nd Row)
Charles
Super Moderator and Supreme Overlord of Web Darkness

E-C LEVEL 21
My nickname: Charles
My vehicle: 2016 Escape Titanium FWD 2.0L
My vehicle's name: Shadow

Postby montermahan - October 24th, 2016, 12:35 pm

I'm sure that is the case, and I would guess, the master cyl has individual forward and rear braking so if one quits, the other is still there.
montermahan

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby montermahan - October 26th, 2016, 1:22 pm

After more reading, I found this---

"If you apply the electric parking brake when your vehicle is moving, the brake system warning lamp will illuminate and a warning chime will sound. See Information Displays (page 89). If your vehicle speed is above 4 mph (6 km/h), the braking force is applied as long as the switch is pulled. Releasing or pressing the switch or pressing the accelerator pedal will stop the braking force".

Now I know it can still function as an emergency brake. MM
montermahan

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Return to 2017 - Present Escape / New Kuga General Discussion