Permanently disable auto stop/start?

Talk about anything related to your 2017 - Present Ford Escape/ New Ford Kuga here!

Permanently disable auto stop/start?

Postby Bionicrocky - June 30th, 2016, 10:55 pm

I tend to turn the auto start/stop off most of the time, manually poking the button. Does anyone know if there is a way to permanently/semi-permanently disable it? I don't pay for the gas for work or personal use and it's just not worth the annoyance to have it on.
Bionicrocky

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2017 SE 1.5 FWD Leather
My vehicle's name: Estelle

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Permanently disable auto stop/start?

Postby Jay2TheRescue - July 1st, 2016, 12:14 am

The EPA probably requires it to only be temporarily disabled. Auto Stop probably helped it get the EPA rating it has.

Jay2TheRescue

E-C LEVEL 10
My vehicle: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4x4
My vehicle's name: The Toaster

Postby feh2goup - July 1st, 2016, 1:20 am

Bionicrocky wrote:I tend to turn the auto start/stop off most of the time, manually poking the button. Does anyone know if there is a way to permanently/semi-permanently disable it? I don't pay for the gas for work or personal use and it's just not worth the annoyance to have it on.

And the idea behind it was not to save you money. It was to lower carbon emissions, improve mileage and with a side benefit of reducing gas consumption. Who's against cleaner air?
2009 Escape Hybrid Limited AWD, Black, bought Jan.2013
- replaced ambient temperature sensor
- replaced hvac blend door motor
- updated SYNC software
- replaced water pump
- brake job
- replaced steering column
- replaced TPMS sensor
- multiple rear hatch water leaks fixed
- rattle in dashboard resolved as loose bolt in steering column coupler
- replaced underbody a/c lines to rear hvac
- replaced backup sensor
- replaced sway bar links
- replaced one outer tie rod (105,000 miles)
- replaced right front wheel bearing
- replaced ball joints
- another brake job
- replaced a/c condenser
feh2goup

E-C LEVEL 5

Postby Charles - July 1st, 2016, 7:04 am

Check the settings on your 2017. If it doesn't list the ability to permanently turn on/off auto stop/start, it can't be done. :shrug:

Federal Ownership Respectfully Declined
Present Vehicle
2015 F450 Platinum Crew Cab Long Bed DRW, White Platinum Tricoat, 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel, 225/70R/19.5 tires, Almost every option known to man (except a sunroof). Ford 27.5K Fifth Wheel Hitch; AirRide LoadLifter 5000 Air Suspension System with LoadController Single Air Compressor System; BetterBuilt Aluminum Crossover Pickup Bed Tool Box
"19.5s are chick magnets"
Former Vehicles
2016 Escape Titanium FWD, Shadow Black, Equipment Pkg 301A, Titanium Technology Package with HID Auto Headlamps, BLIS, Active Park Assist, 2.0L EcoBoost, Panoramic Vista Roof, SYNC3 with Navigation, 19" wheels

2012 Buick Verano Leather Group - Black Onyx - Sunroof, Navigation, Premium Exterior Package, WeatherTech DigitalFit liners (1st & 2nd Row), Wireless Rear View Camera.
Charles
Super Moderator and Supreme Overlord of Web Darkness

E-C LEVEL 21
My nickname: Charles
My vehicle: 2015 F-450 Platinum DRW 4x4

Postby rfruth - September 21st, 2016, 9:29 pm

I'm all for clean air but wonder how effective the A/C is when the auto start/stop has been on for 45 seconds or longer (like when sitting at a red light in traffic when its 95 degrees outside)
((I have a feeling I'll be using the disable button a LOT))
2017 Ti 2.0 4x2 300A (no custom wallpaper Sync3 ver 2, grrr)

rfruth

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!
My vehicle: 2017 Escape FWD
My vehicle's name: Silver Bullet

Postby hangover2fanz - September 23rd, 2016, 9:46 am

I don't have my 2017 yet (hopefully picking it up tomorrow morning) but I read on another forum that when the transmission is in sport mode it doesn't allow auto stop/start to occur, so that is a sort of permanent deactivation if you drive in that mode all the time (which, i plan on doing anyway unless break in period doesn't allow it).

Maybe others could test that out and report back. If not, I most likely will :-)
hangover2fanz

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby MadMax - September 23rd, 2016, 3:39 pm

hangover2fanz wrote:I don't have my 2017 yet (hopefully picking it up tomorrow morning) but I read on another forum that when the transmission is in sport mode it doesn't allow auto stop/start to occur, so that is a sort of permanent deactivation if you drive in that mode all the time (which, i plan on doing anyway unless break in period doesn't allow it).

Maybe others could test that out and report back. If not, I most likely will :-)

This is good to know :yes:
2010 Escape XLT 3.0 V6 AWD, Sun and Sync. Mods: OEM Running boards modded with LED lighting and red accent. LED lighting lower bumper front and rear. Paramount Grille, LED DRLs and fog lights, Interior LED accents, Custom Mud Flaps, Body side and bumper moldings, Blackened fog light bezels and ESCAPE letters, Chrome wheel skins, Tail light guards, Chrome exhaust tip, Custom roof rack with Carbon Fiber and red accents, Strut Tower bar, K&N filter, AVS Vent Visors

Formerly: 2006 Mazda Tribute

"Because I can... and I did, sure won't do that again"
MadMax
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 19

Postby Charles - September 23rd, 2016, 4:25 pm

hangover2fanz wrote:I don't have my 2017 yet (hopefully picking it up tomorrow morning) but I read on another forum that when the transmission is in sport mode it doesn't allow auto stop/start to occur, so that is a sort of permanent deactivation if you drive in that mode all the time (which, i plan on doing anyway unless break in period doesn't allow it).

Welcome to the City!!!! Glad you joined us!!! :yes:

:topic:

Federal Ownership Respectfully Declined
Present Vehicle
2015 F450 Platinum Crew Cab Long Bed DRW, White Platinum Tricoat, 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel, 225/70R/19.5 tires, Almost every option known to man (except a sunroof). Ford 27.5K Fifth Wheel Hitch; AirRide LoadLifter 5000 Air Suspension System with LoadController Single Air Compressor System; BetterBuilt Aluminum Crossover Pickup Bed Tool Box
"19.5s are chick magnets"
Former Vehicles
2016 Escape Titanium FWD, Shadow Black, Equipment Pkg 301A, Titanium Technology Package with HID Auto Headlamps, BLIS, Active Park Assist, 2.0L EcoBoost, Panoramic Vista Roof, SYNC3 with Navigation, 19" wheels

2012 Buick Verano Leather Group - Black Onyx - Sunroof, Navigation, Premium Exterior Package, WeatherTech DigitalFit liners (1st & 2nd Row), Wireless Rear View Camera.
Charles
Super Moderator and Supreme Overlord of Web Darkness

E-C LEVEL 21
My nickname: Charles
My vehicle: 2015 F-450 Platinum DRW 4x4

Postby hangover2fanz - September 26th, 2016, 11:09 am

MadMax wrote:

This is good to know :yes:

I did pick up my Escape Saturday morning and i can confirm leaving it in sport automatically disables Auto Start/Stop and leaves it off while in that mode.
hangover2fanz

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby bobump - October 10th, 2016, 2:59 pm

I found that if I turn on climate control the engine will take longer to go into auto off or not go off at all. Also pressing climate control often forces the car to start. LOL

That said, I'm pretty impressed with it. I do wish you could tweak the time it takes to shut off. Sometimes it's 1 second after a stop, but start up is seemless 99% of the time.
2010 XLT 203A package
AVS window rain guards
bobump

E-C LEVEL 1
My vehicle: '17 Lightning Blue SE 4WD 1.5L

Next

Return to 2017 - Present Escape / New Kuga General Discussion