Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

The 2017 Ford Escape!!!

13K views 57 replies 12 participants last post by  HuntingEscape 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
#5 ·
Hmmm... I think I'll need to see it in person. In the photos, it looks to me like they just grafted the new corporate snout on an existing design. It doesn't blend as well as the original front end did. Two design philosophies in one product tends to create a confused final design. :shrug: I will say it does look cleaner at least. I also wish they moved the back end closer to the original VerTrek concept. These new taillights look very Kia'ish to me.

I also wish they had done more with the interior. More Edge like and less Focus. I wasn't a fan of all the angles and that central dash top pod when I test drove one. But I'll look at it in person again when I'm shopping in a year. I might just be missing something in the photos...

#7 ·
#8 ·
Design is so subjective, I find the new more fluid and less confusing then the old and I find it less Hyundai/Kia and more Edge then the old :shrug: The best part is I find it by far more masculine then the old. Although it's still kind of Santa Fe-ish, I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. I also see that grille getting blacked-out as a possible SAP. The two character creases on the hood really add length and balance to the whole vehicle

#9 ·
Design is absolutely subjective and doesn't necessarily translate in photos. The nose is very Edge like and I'm sure that is what they were going for. I think my issue is the original 3rd gen Escape's design language was based on the Focus. Small and sporty. Lots of angles and creases to create a feel of movement and tension. The Edge is smoother and blockier (if that's a word). It's more upscale and relaxed. They grafted the 2 together and I'm just not sure it works as well as I would have liked it to. I wish it was pushed more towards the look of the Edge and it's simpler design language inside and out. But then again, this is just a mid-cycle refresh so I'm sure the budget wasn't there for major changes to the body.

Frenchy - My Equinox has OnStar which has an app that does most of the things Sync-Connect does. It is quite convenient to have. Hopefully Ford makes it affordable. Chevy makes you have at least the minimum OnStar Subscription ($200/yr) to access the features in my Model year (they include the app free for 5 years in the MY after mine :doh: )

#10 ·
The only thing I didn't really care for design wise on the old that they unfortunately chose not to address is the "D" pillar sweep forward and pinch at the top. It just looks weak to me and should have gone more "Edge" Maybe that's why I like this body style in black, it tends to hide all that. I wish they had some rear shots I'd like to see what else they did with the tail lights

#16 ·
The Tuscon looks like the same design language front to back. I do like it but... Hyundai :taz:

Another thing I really dislike about the Escape is the tiny area of the taillight that actually illuminates. I wish they would make the lit area larger at the back of the vehicle. With so many people "glancing" at their phones, GPSs, infotainment systems, etc, I want my taillights to smack them in the eyeballs when they do happen to look up from the gadgets. I was hit from behind while waiting at a stoplight by a young girl who was fiddling with her GPS a few years ago. She said she didn't see me. I bet if I had a new Durango she would have seen me...

#18 ·
RobtRoma said:
The Tuscon looks like the same design language front to back. I do like it but... Hyundai :taz:

Another thing I really dislike about the Escape is the tiny area of the taillight that actually illuminates. I wish they would make the lit area larger at the back of the vehicle. With so many people "glancing" at their phones, GPSs, infotainment systems, etc, I want my taillights to smack them in the eyeballs when they do happen to look up from the gadgets. I was hit from behind while waiting at a stoplight by a young girl who was fiddling with her GPS a few years ago. She said she didn't see me. I bet if I had a new Durango she would have seen me...

.... Then Lincoln

#21 ·
MazdaShark said:
Well you could take the Cadillac approach of lighting up the entire damn car for the stop lights

That should go with their new "self driving" models that are coming out in 2016 right? Be very afraid folks.
Looks like a Carnival Cruise ship coming into port at night.

#22 ·
Saw this little tidbit over at "Truckyeah"

you can enjoy a 1.5 liter four-cylinder EcoBoost or an optional 2.0. Both come with a six-speed automatic transmission and, for reasons we can't hope to understand, paddle shifters on the fancier trims.
Car and Driver...

Power-Tech

On the horsepower front, 2017 brings the arrival of the turbocharged 1.5-liter EcoBoost engine, as well as a revised version of the 2.0-liter EcoBoost. The 1.5-liter EcoBoost will be standard in the SE and Titanium trim levels, and although the numbers aren't yet set in stone, it is projected to produce 180 horsepower and 185 lb-ft of torque. The optional twin-scroll 2.0-liter EcoBoost has received new pistons and a redesigned exhaust manifold for improved efficiency and refinement; it is rated at 245 horsepower and an impressive 275 lb-ft. Returning for duty basically unchanged is the naturally aspirated 2.5-liter four-cylinder, which will be available only in the base S trim. All three engines are mated to a six-speed automatic.
... and more pics

The front over all is just a vast improvement :thumb:

#23 ·
The Caddy tailight are not new, see Volvo XC...

:topic: :topic: 2017 Ford Escape

#24 ·
FRENCHY said:
The Caddy tailight are not new, see Volvo XC...

:topic: :topic: 2017 Ford Escape
THANK YOU! at least I know I'm not the only one who thinks that. Looks good on the Volvo but I dislike it on the Cadillac.

#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.