The other day I was driving up a steep rough logging road (backroad to the Sea to Sky Gondola), with a friend watching the rear axle clutch engagement % using Hobdrive running on a smartphone, getting data from a Bluetooth adapter plugged into the OBDII port.
The highest % it registered was 68%. This was on such a steep loose grade that the Escape came to a stop momentarily without me lifting off the gas, then traction control or something kicked in, a bit of wheelspin, and it clambered on up the slope. So it seems to me the rear axle engagement should have been at maximum.
Assuming Hobdrive is reporting the real numbers,
- does the 68% indicate the percentage the rear axle clutch was engaged and it still had 32% that was not engaged? If so, why would it not use 100% in this situation?
- does the 68% actually indicate that 68% of the available engine torque was directed to the rear wheels, leaving 32% for the front wheels?
- or is the rear axle clutch electronically limited from engaging above 68% of it's maximum engagement?
- what maximum % of engagement do those monitoring this parameter using ScanGauges see?
2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara JLX-L, ~Maroon Red
2009 Escape Hybrid Limited AWD, Black, bought Jan.2013
- replaced ambient temperature sensor
- replaced hvac blend door motor
- updated SYNC software
- replaced water pump
- brake job
- replaced steering column
- replaced TPMS sensor
- multiple rear hatch water leaks fixed
- rattle in dashboard resolved as loose bolt in steering column coupler
- replaced underbody a/c lines to rear hvac
- replaced backup sensor
- replaced sway bar links
- replaced one outer tie rod (105,000 miles)
- replaced right front wheel bearing
- replaced ball joints
- another brake job