AWD, % engagement

Talk about anything related to your 2013 - 2016 Escape and 2012 - Present Kuga here!

AWD, % engagement

Postby feh2goup - October 1st, 2016, 12:03 am

The other day I was driving up a steep rough logging road (backroad to the Sea to Sky Gondola), with a friend watching the rear axle clutch engagement % using Hobdrive running on a smartphone, getting data from a Bluetooth adapter plugged into the OBDII port.

The highest % it registered was 68%. This was on such a steep loose grade that the Escape came to a stop momentarily without me lifting off the gas, then traction control or something kicked in, a bit of wheelspin, and it clambered on up the slope. So it seems to me the rear axle engagement should have been at maximum.

Assuming Hobdrive is reporting the real numbers,

- does the 68% indicate the percentage the rear axle clutch was engaged and it still had 32% that was not engaged? If so, why would it not use 100% in this situation?

- does the 68% actually indicate that 68% of the available engine torque was directed to the rear wheels, leaving 32% for the front wheels?

- or is the rear axle clutch electronically limited from engaging above 68% of it's maximum engagement?

- what maximum % of engagement do those monitoring this parameter using ScanGauges see?
2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara JLX-L, ~Maroon Red
2009 Escape Hybrid Limited AWD, Black, bought Jan.2013
- replaced ambient temperature sensor
- replaced hvac blend door motor
- updated SYNC software
- replaced water pump
- brake job
- replaced steering column
- replaced TPMS sensor
- multiple rear hatch water leaks fixed
- rattle in dashboard resolved as loose bolt in steering column coupler
- replaced underbody a/c lines to rear hvac
- replaced backup sensor
- replaced sway bar links
- replaced one outer tie rod (105,000 miles)
- replaced right front wheel bearing
- replaced ball joints
- another brake job
feh2goup

E-C LEVEL 5
Congratulations on reaching 750 posts!

Re: AWD, % engagement

Postby MadMax - October 1st, 2016, 5:47 am

As far as I know and have read the Escape 4WD system is capable of sending 40% of total available power to the rear axle. There's a good test somewhere (try search) on here that has confirmed that. I'm not sure if what your readout of 68% means, unless it's 68% of the available 40%. If I'm understanding your question correctly :shrug:
2010 Escape XLT 3.0 V6 AWD, Sun and Sync. Mods: OEM Running boards modded with LED lighting and red accent. LED lighting lower bumper front and rear. Paramount Grille, LED DRLs and fog lights, Interior LED accents, Custom Mud Flaps, Body side and bumper moldings, Blackened fog light bezels and ESCAPE letters, Chrome wheel skins, Tail light guards, Chrome exhaust tip, Custom roof rack with Carbon Fiber and red accents, Strut Tower bar, K&N filter, AVS Vent Visors

Formerly: 2006 Mazda Tribute

"Because I can... and I did, sure won't do that again"
MadMax
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 18

Postby Jay2TheRescue - October 1st, 2016, 7:14 am

The reading you get is % clutch duty cycle. If you were seeing 68%, then the clutch was 68% engauged. It will never get to 100%, as there is no differential between the front and the rear of an Escape, so the system does not allow 100%. I'm not sure what the max % is though.

Jay2TheRescue

E-C LEVEL 10
My vehicle: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4x4
My vehicle's name: The Toaster

Postby mozz - October 1st, 2016, 9:45 pm

They don't make it a true 50/50 as a mechanical transfer case would do. You can get by with smaller and cheaper parts if you don't send much horsepower through them.
2003 Ford Mustang GT 4.6l 5 speed
2007 Ford Focus SE 2.0l 5 speed
2010 Ford Escape XLS 2.5l Fwd 5 speed
2012 Ford Fusion S 2.5l 6 speed
mozz

E-C LEVEL 6
Congratulations on reaching 1,000 posts!
My vehicle: 2010 XLS 2.5 Fwd Blue 5 speed

Return to 2013 - 2016 Escape / 2012 - Present Kuga General Discussion