Weight Distribution of Escape

Talk about anything related to your 2013 - 2016 Escape and 2012 - Present Kuga here!

Re: Weight Distribution of Escape

Postby camusdarrach - September 30th, 2016, 8:09 pm

Sorry, I meant tow it on a trailer
The only member with both a RHD Maverick and LHD Escape
camusdarrach
E-C's only ambidextrous member and British Correspondent

E-C LEVEL 8
My vehicle: 2003 Ford Maverick 2.0 XLT,
My vehicle's name: 2002 Ford Escape 3.0 XLT Midni

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Postby Jay2TheRescue - September 30th, 2016, 11:07 pm

camusdarrach wrote:Over here, it's an offence to tow a vehicle behind a campervan / RV using a tow dolly, or A frame etc, due to anything being towed over 740kgin weight requires brakes that activate when the tow vehicle brakes.

The only exception is if the vehicle being towed has broken down during a journey, and is being taken either back home or to a garage to be repaired.

So we can only use a trailer to put a car on behind a campervan, but to me that is far safer, as well as easier to reverse etc.

So why not trailer the Escape.....?

There is a device sold here in the states called a "Brake Buddy", I'm sure its probably available over there too. You put it on the driver's seat, and you attach its arm to the brake pedal. When the motorhome brakes, the brake buddy applies the brakes in the towed vehicle as well.

Jay2TheRescue

E-C LEVEL 10
My vehicle: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4x4
My vehicle's name: The Toaster

Postby Charles - October 1st, 2016, 6:11 am

Jay2TheRescue wrote:
camusdarrach wrote:Over here, it's an offence to tow a vehicle behind a campervan / RV using a tow dolly, or A frame etc, due to anything being towed over 740kgin weight requires brakes that activate when the tow vehicle brakes.

The only exception is if the vehicle being towed has broken down during a journey, and is being taken either back home or to a garage to be repaired.

So we can only use a trailer to put a car on behind a campervan, but to me that is far safer, as well as easier to reverse etc.

So why not trailer the Escape.....?

There is a device sold here in the states called a "Brake Buddy", I'm sure its probably available over there too. You put it on the driver's seat, and you attach its arm to the brake pedal. When the motorhome brakes, the brake buddy applies the brakes in the towed vehicle as well.

The dolly I purchased to tow the Escape has a self contained braking system on it so no additional braking system is necessary. It is hydraulic and actuates disc brakes located on the dolly wheels automatically if the dolly ever becomes detached from my motorhome. If I were to flat tow a vehicle, I would have to purchase a system similar to the "Brake Buddy" that Jay mentioned.

Federal Ownership Respectfully Declined
Present Vehicle
2015 F450 Platinum Crew Cab Long Bed DRW, White Platinum Tricoat, 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel, 225/70R/19.5 tires, Almost every option known to man (except a sunroof). Ford 27.5K Fifth Wheel Hitch
"19.5s are chick magnets"
Former Vehicles
2016 Escape Titanium FWD, Shadow Black, Equipment Pkg 301A, Titanium Technology Package with HID Auto Headlamps, BLIS, Active Park Assist, 2.0L EcoBoost, Panoramic Vista Roof, SYNC3 with Navigation, 19" wheels

2012 Buick Verano Leather Group - Black Onyx - Sunroof, Navigation, Premium Exterior Package, WeatherTech DigitalFit liners (1st & 2nd Row), Wireless Rear View Camera.
Charles
Super Moderator and Supreme Overlord of Web Darkness

E-C LEVEL 21
My nickname: Charles
My vehicle: 2015 F-450 Platinum DRW 4x4

Postby camusdarrach - October 1st, 2016, 12:55 pm

Over here, the tow buddy is illegal, as the vehicle being towed, being classed as a trailer over 740kg has to have equal braking pressure acting on all wheels that are in contact with the road at all times, the use of a braked towing dolly is only allowed to be used to move a vehicle that is road legal, but has broken down.

The legislation was introduced because too many accidents were happening due to people tnot knowing how to use dollies properly.

Btw a dolly has a max speed limit of 20mph when in use over here, 30 mph if unloaded.
camusdarrach

E-C LEVEL 8

Postby Jay2TheRescue - October 1st, 2016, 6:52 pm

I don't think you understood. The brake buddy is for use when flat towing a vehicle.

Jay2TheRescue

E-C LEVEL 10
My vehicle: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4x4
My vehicle's name: The Toaster

Postby camusdarrach - October 2nd, 2016, 6:22 am

I do realise that it's used for flat towing, the problem is whilst it use the cars brakes, the way a vehicle braking system is designed, most force acts on the front, therefore not equal between front and rear, hence illegal over here.

When using one of the towing buddies, or even a dolly, if you have to make an emergency stop, esp when travelling over say 30mph, the towed vehicle can act as a pendulum, causing all kinds of problems, there have been a number of incidents over here due to this, hence the use been outlawed.

Having being involved in an accident due to somebody using one of these setups, yes in capable hands they are good, but so many decided to use them without understanding the limitations, esp travelling at highway speeds....
camusdarrach

E-C LEVEL 8

Previous

Return to 2013 - 2016 Escape / 2012 - Present Kuga General Discussion