Mileage until Oil Change

Talk about anything related to your 2013 - 2016 Escape and 2012 - Present Kuga here!

Mileage until Oil Change

Postby Charles - August 23rd, 2016, 7:14 am

Getting the oil changed (among other things) on Shadow this morning. Yesterday, the Oil Change Required light showed up in the Information Display. I was only at 5,400 miles.

In my prior Escape, I could easily go 7,500 miles and have 30% oil life left.

I wonder if Ford changed things when they migrated from My Ford Touch to Sync3. :shrug:
Image Image

Present vehicles
2016 Escape Titanium FWD, Shadow Black, Equipment Pkg 301A, Titanium Technology Package with HID Auto Headlamps, BLIS, Active Park Assist, 2.0L EcoBoost, Panoramic Vista Roof, SYNC3 with Navigation, 19" wheels

2012 Buick Verano Leather Group - Black Onyx - Sunroof, Navigation, Premium Exterior Package, WeatherTech DigitalFit liners (1st & 2nd Row)
Charles
Super Moderator and Supreme Overlord of Web Darkness

E-C LEVEL 21
My nickname: Charles
My vehicle: 2016 Escape Titanium FWD 2.0L
My vehicle's name: Shadow

Re: Mileage until Oil Change

Postby TributeLove - August 23rd, 2016, 8:29 am

I'm thinking these Oil Change Lights are programmed to illuminate at a set distance and only able to be reset at "the dealership". A good way to keep the money coming in for them.

The only true way to know is to get your oil professionally analyzed (sampled). Heavy machinery agents do it, but it's expensive. Your local CAT service center is an example. No need to get it done again once you know how far you can go on the first sample if your driving habits stay the same.

I have a light truck and got the test done at 11,000 KMS after change - result came back and it could go another 5,000 KMS they said.
TributeLove

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!

Postby Charles - August 23rd, 2016, 9:25 am

Really irritated that Oil Life can't be determined by the end user so an intelligent decision can be made as to when to schedule oil change and other maintenance.

Edited to add: It doesn't help that the ability to run a Vehicle Health Report was deleted with the implementation of the new Sync3 system. :rant:
Image Image

Present vehicles
2016 Escape Titanium FWD, Shadow Black, Equipment Pkg 301A, Titanium Technology Package with HID Auto Headlamps, BLIS, Active Park Assist, 2.0L EcoBoost, Panoramic Vista Roof, SYNC3 with Navigation, 19" wheels

2012 Buick Verano Leather Group - Black Onyx - Sunroof, Navigation, Premium Exterior Package, WeatherTech DigitalFit liners (1st & 2nd Row)
Charles

E-C LEVEL 21

Postby Charles - August 23rd, 2016, 9:30 am

TributeLove wrote:I'm thinking these Oil Change Lights are programmed to illuminate at a set distance and only able to be reset at "the dealership". A good way to keep the money coming in for them.

The only true way to know is to get your oil professionally analyzed (sampled). Heavy machinery agents do it, but it's expensive. Your local CAT service center is an example. No need to get it done again once you know how far you can go on the first sample if your driving habits stay the same.

I have a light truck and got the test done at 11,000 KMS after change - result came back and it could go another 5,000 KMS they said.

It is true that oil analysis can be performed. In addition to a CAT Service Center (have an 8.3 L Cummins ISC diesel engine in my motorhome), you can have an oil analysis performed at Speedco.

I was planning on having oil changed on a roughly 5,000 mile interval anyway.
Image Image

Present vehicles

Charles

E-C LEVEL 21

Postby MadMax - August 23rd, 2016, 9:36 am

Oil change intervals is one of the things I can set myself under "settings" in my2010 with sync, I'm surprised Ford changed that :shrug:
2010 Escape XLT 3.0 V6 AWD, Sun and Sync. Mods: OEM Running boards modded with LED lighting and red accent. LED lighting lower bumper front and rear. Paramount Grille, LED DRLs and fog lights, Interior LED accents, Custom Mud Flaps, Body side and bumper moldings, Blackened fog light bezels and ESCAPE letters, Chrome wheel skins, Tail light guards, Chrome exhaust tip, Custom roof rack with Carbon Fiber and red accents, Strut Tower bar, K&N filter, AVS Vent Visors

Formerly: 2006 Mazda Tribute

"Because I can... and I did, sure won't do that again"
MadMax
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 17

Postby Charles - August 23rd, 2016, 9:48 am

MadMax wrote:Oil change intervals is one of the things I can set myself under "settings" in my2010 with sync, I'm surprised Ford changed that :shrug:

Sync with MyFordTouch gave the end user the ability to run a Vehicle Health Report which I liked ...... A LOT!!!! Sync3 apparently gave us the digital equivalent of an "idiot light". :yes:
Image Image

Present vehicles

Charles

E-C LEVEL 21

Postby HuntingEscape - August 23rd, 2016, 9:52 am

Charles wrote:Really irritated that Oil Life can't be determined by the end user so an intelligent decision can be made as to when to schedule oil change and other maintenance.

determined by the end user so an intelligent decision makes me laugh. You know how many people do not know how to properly take care of their vehicles? I have heard of people going 50k miles without changing their airfilter and are dumb founded on why they were getting such crappy fuel economy, and having no "power". I went to high school with a girl that drove her car for 2 years without getting an oil change and didn't understand why her dad was so pissed when she blew her motor.

What gets me is that with all of the high tech sensors we have in cars these days, we can't have one in the oil pan that determines the quality of oil running through the motor, and automatically resets the idiot light when new oil is added from an oil change
HuntingEscape

E-C LEVEL 1
My vehicle: White 2009 Escape XLT
My vehicle's name: Sid

Postby TributeLove - August 23rd, 2016, 6:45 pm

HuntingEscape wrote:I have heard of people going 50k miles without changing their airfilter and are dumb founded on why they were getting such crappy fuel economy, and having no "power". I went to high school with a girl that drove her car for 2 years without getting an oil change and didn't understand why her dad was so pissed when she blew her motor.

Some people need "idiot lights"!
TributeLove

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!

Postby Charles - August 23rd, 2016, 6:48 pm

TributeLove wrote:
HuntingEscape wrote:I have heard of people going 50k miles without changing their airfilter and are dumb founded on why they were getting such crappy fuel economy, and having no "power". I went to high school with a girl that drove her car for 2 years without getting an oil change and didn't understand why her dad was so pissed when she blew her motor.

Some people need "idiot lights"!

Very true!!! :yes:
Image Image

Present vehicles

Charles

E-C LEVEL 21

Postby underthetire - August 23rd, 2016, 11:09 pm

MadMax wrote:Oil change intervals is one of the things I can set myself under "settings" in my2010 with sync, I'm surprised Ford changed that :shrug:

My 09 as well, but the newer ones take time, mileage, and engine load and calculate oil change intervals. Our focus can go anywhere from 5k to 10k before we see the oil change light.

Sent from my A3-A20FHD using Tapatalk
underthetire

E-C LEVEL 8
My vehicle: 2009 xlt sun and sync 2.5
My vehicle's name: Money saver

Next

Return to 2013 - 2016 Escape / 2012 - Present Kuga General Discussion