Add an electric water pump to the existing cooling system

Talk about anything related to your 2013 - 2016 Escape and 2012 - Present Kuga here!

Add an electric water pump to the existing cooling system

Postby PickyBiker - August 18th, 2016, 4:31 pm

2016 Ford Escape 2.0L ecoboost with the factory towing package.

In an effort to help with overheating while towing, I thought about installing an electric water pump inline with the output of the existing belt driven water pump. I can use an adjustable thermostat to have this pump come on only when the engine temperature begins to rise above the thermostat temperature.

Is that a reasonable way to increase water flow and cooling?
Why the heck doesn't this engine have an electric water pump to begin with?
PickyBiker

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Re: Add an electric water pump to the existing cooling syste

Postby Heywood_F - August 18th, 2016, 5:37 pm

Why no electric pump? Reliability.
However, adding an electric pump for transmission fluid has been done to Escapes that are being towed (by an RV).

I'm not familiar with the towing package for the '16s - does it have a separate transmission cooler (radiator), or is it plumbed into the bottom of the engine rad?
Still, overheating if towing below the rated limit seems odd - many of us have towed 3000+lbs in the hills without issues. However, the towing guide does state that you'll lose 3-4% engine power per 1000 ft of elevation, reducing your load capacity by 2% per 1000ft. That doesn't sound like much, but in Denver, that's almost 500 lbs less.
Heywood_F

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!
My vehicle: 2008 Escape V6 Limited AWD

Postby Jay2TheRescue - August 18th, 2016, 8:13 pm

I don't think the problem is the pump. The limiting factor is probably the radiator's capacity to dissipate heat. In the old days you just put a bigger radiator in, but that was the days where there was plenty of room under the hood. IDK if Ford left room under there for a bigger radiator.

Jay2TheRescue

E-C LEVEL 10
My vehicle: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4x4
My vehicle's name: The Toaster

Postby mozz - August 18th, 2016, 8:21 pm

I would see if you can add a fan on the outside of the radiator. Another one is a tranny cooler, and third is a oil cooler. Adding another water pump isn't going to solve anything, if the water travels too fast through the radiator, it will cool less.

The old trick was to drill extra holes in the thermostat. Removing the oil drain plastic shield from underneath the car may make it run cooler also.
2003 Ford Mustang GT 4.6l 5 speed
2007 Ford Focus SE 2.0l 5 speed
2010 Ford Escape XLS 2.5l Fwd 5 speed
2012 Ford Fusion S 2.5l 6 speed
mozz

E-C LEVEL 6
Congratulations on reaching 1,000 posts!
My vehicle: 2010 XLS 2.5 Fwd Blue 5 speed

Postby Heywood_F - August 18th, 2016, 8:52 pm

Just thinking out loud - does the '16 have radiator shutters?
Heywood_F

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!
My vehicle: 2008 Escape V6 Limited AWD

Postby PickyBiker - August 19th, 2016, 10:44 pm

Questions answered here:
No shutters on this one.
According to the messages, it is the engine getting hot and the computer reduces the engine power to cool it, not the transmission getting hot. (really exciting when the speed drops to 40 mph and traffic is going 65-75.
There is no reasonable access to the front of the radiator.
There appears to be a separate transmission cooler radiator under the engine's radiator.
There is a very large shield of some sort (maybe plastic) under the engine and entire surrounding area. (I suspect it's trapping lots of heat )

Found the specs on the thermostat and will try one just a little bit cooler.
Will also try removing the large shield beneath the engine.

I have fairly good access to the bottom radiator hose. I also have a heater radiator, an electric pump, and a cooling fan that fits the heater radiator. I can tap into the bottom hose for input to the pump, the pump output would go to the extra heater radiator input, and then the radiator output would go back into the bottom radiator hose about 6" further down the flow. That would add additional cooling to a portion of the coolant in the bottom radiator hose.

Thoughts?
PickyBiker

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Return to 2013 - 2016 Escape / 2012 - Present Kuga General Discussion