Need definitive answer on coolant tank

Talk about anything related to your 2013 - 2016 Escape and 2012 - Present Kuga here!

Need definitive answer on coolant tank

Postby PickyBiker - August 9th, 2016, 5:51 pm

I need to increase the coolant capacity of my escape because it runs too hot when pulling a 3200 lb trailer. This one has the 2.0 ecoboost and the towing package and it rated for 3500 lbs towing. Going up an incline, I sometimes get a message that the power has been reduced to cool the engine.

I have been told that the coolant tank is not just an overflow tank. It is supposed to be part of the circulated water. In other words, the water goes into the tank at the top and comes back out at the bottom. It supposedly continuously circulates when the engine is running.

That information is important to me for two reasons. Redline makes an additive called Water Wetter that helps the engine run cooler. If the water does not circulate through the tank and I just pour it into the tank, it may never mix with the entire coolant supply.

The second reason is that I want to add an additional coolant reservoir and it would be nice to just just insert it between the radiator and the tank at the top line. Again, that woulkd be useless if the water does not circulate continuously.
So, does this tank have constant circulation when the engine is running?

Thanks
PickyBiker

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Need definitive answer on coolant tank

Postby Charles - August 9th, 2016, 6:05 pm

First of all, welcome to the City!!! Sorry you are having issues with your Escape.

Unfortunately, my 2016 Escape doesn't have the tow package installed so I am not sure what the proper answer to your questions are.

Prior to this Escape, I had a 2014 Escape that I used to tow a pop up travel trailer in the middle of summer. I had no issues with coolant temperature. The travel trailer didn't weigh what you are towing so that may be part of the reason I had no issues.

Federal Ownership Respectfully Declined
Present Vehicle
2015 F450 Platinum Crew Cab Long Bed DRW, White Platinum Tricoat, 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel, 225/70R/19.5 tires, Almost every option known to man (except a sunroof). Ford 27.5K Fifth Wheel Hitch; AirRide LoadLifter 5000 Air Suspension System with LoadController Single Air Compressor System; BetterBuilt Aluminum Crossover Pickup Bed Tool Box
"19.5s are chick magnets"
Former Vehicles
2016 Escape Titanium FWD, Shadow Black, Equipment Pkg 301A, Titanium Technology Package with HID Auto Headlamps, BLIS, Active Park Assist, 2.0L EcoBoost, Panoramic Vista Roof, SYNC3 with Navigation, 19" wheels

2012 Buick Verano Leather Group - Black Onyx - Sunroof, Navigation, Premium Exterior Package, WeatherTech DigitalFit liners (1st & 2nd Row), Wireless Rear View Camera.
Charles
Super Moderator and Supreme Overlord of Web Darkness

E-C LEVEL 21
My nickname: Charles
My vehicle: 2015 F-450 Platinum DRW 4x4

Postby Escapeism - August 9th, 2016, 8:02 pm

Have you tried towing using the sport mode. At least you could downshift. Do you have a temperature gauge or app to monitor temp in real time? But in all fairness the computer is doing its job and keeping the things from overheating. If this situation is normal for you, then get a vehicle better suited. IMHO
2013 Escape Titanium 2.0 4WD - Build Date 09/2012 - Ginger Ale - Panoramic Roof - Tow Package - Roof Racks - Mud Flaps - Husky Weatherbeaters - Kuga Rear LED Tail Lights - Body Color Rear Spoiler - Kuga Rear Fog Lights - LockPick Rear Camera - Added Factory NAV
-
Escapeism

E-C LEVEL 4
My vehicle: 2013 Escape Titanium 4WD

Postby PickyBiker - August 9th, 2016, 9:18 pm

Yes I use sport mode so that It is primarily in 5th gear while towing. I'm in Texas and it's been close to 100 degrees for the last couple of weeks.

If I turn off the AC and turn the heater on high it doesn't overheat. That means it's "almost" got enough cooling capacity.

If I don't find a way to increase the amount of coolant in the system, I could try putting a large pusher fan in front of the radiators. Th problem with that solution is it looks like a real challenge to get the front grill off to gain access to the area in front of the radiator.

I have seen some videos for removing the front grille, but not for the 2016.
PickyBiker

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Charles - August 10th, 2016, 8:52 am

PickyBiker wrote:I have seen some videos for removing the front grille, but not for the 2016.

If you have found vids on removing the front grille on a 2013 - 2015, it should be very, very similar to your 2016. :yes:

Federal Ownership Respectfully Declined
Present Vehicle
2015 F450 Platinum Crew Cab Long Bed DRW, White Platinum Tricoat, 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel, 225/70R/19.5 tires, Almost every option known to man (except a sunroof). Ford 27.5K Fifth Wheel Hitch; AirRide LoadLifter 5000 Air Suspension System with LoadController Single Air Compressor System; BetterBuilt Aluminum Crossover Pickup Bed Tool Box
"19.5s are chick magnets"
Former Vehicles
2016 Escape Titanium FWD, Shadow Black, Equipment Pkg 301A, Titanium Technology Package with HID Auto Headlamps, BLIS, Active Park Assist, 2.0L EcoBoost, Panoramic Vista Roof, SYNC3 with Navigation, 19" wheels

2012 Buick Verano Leather Group - Black Onyx - Sunroof, Navigation, Premium Exterior Package, WeatherTech DigitalFit liners (1st & 2nd Row), Wireless Rear View Camera.
Charles
Super Moderator and Supreme Overlord of Web Darkness

E-C LEVEL 21
My nickname: Charles
My vehicle: 2015 F-450 Platinum DRW 4x4

Postby boogie_4wheel - August 10th, 2016, 9:53 am

How fast are you going up these hills? Are the cooling fans running at high speed like they should be? Are the air coolers partially clogged with bugs/dirt/lint?
Slow down and drop a gear, back out of the throttle just a little bit.
'05 3.0L/Auto, AWD, 262k, stock engine and trans
boogie_4wheel

E-C LEVEL 3
Congratulations on reaching 250 posts!
My nickname: Stoner
My vehicle: 2005 XLT 3.0L AWD

Postby PickyBiker - August 14th, 2016, 7:55 pm

When climbing, I can't maintain 50 MPH without overheating. At high altitude like Denver it's more like 40 MPH.
PickyBiker

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Return to 2013 - 2016 Escape / 2012 - Present Kuga General Discussion