215/65/17 Snow Tires In Place Of 225/65/17 All-Seasons?

Tires, rims, lugs, wheel locks, detailing, more

215/65/17 Snow Tires In Place Of 225/65/17 All-Seasons?

Postby 08limited - December 12th, 2016, 9:35 am

2008 Limited, 3.0 V6, front wheel drive...Stock size tires on it now are all-seasons [225/65/17 Goodyear Assurance]. Tread depth is approx. 5/32 and they're still decent for summer driving conditions, but not so much for the dumping of snow we just got! lol

I can purchase a brand new set of snow tires for it for $300, but the tires are 215/65/17. A bit smaller as far as how wide the tread width is, 215 compared to 225. Can I safely use these? I'm a grandma who watches my grandkids and I want to be sure using this slightly smaller size tire would be okay. I've done a little online research on it and it seems they would be okay, but would like to know from fellow members if this is indeed the case. Thank you very much in advance for any helpful info/feedback!
08limited

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: 215/65/17 Snow Tires In Place Of 225/65/17 All-Seasons?

Postby MadMax - December 12th, 2016, 10:26 am

You should be OK with those, in fact, a narrower tire is preferable in snow because it cuts through the snow as opposed to floating on top of the snow that you'll get with a wider tire. They sound like a good deal and are immensely safer then all seasons for winter driving :thumb:
2010 Escape XLT 3.0 V6 AWD, Sun and Sync. Mods: OEM Running boards modded with LED lighting and red accent. LED lighting lower bumper front and rear. Paramount Grille, LED DRLs and fog lights, Interior LED accents, Custom Mud Flaps, Body side and bumper moldings, Blackened fog light bezels and ESCAPE letters, Chrome wheel skins, Tail light guards, Chrome exhaust tip, Custom roof rack with Carbon Fiber and red accents, Strut Tower bar, K&N filter, AVS Vent Visors

Formerly: 2006 Mazda Tribute

"Because I can... and I did, sure won't do that again"
MadMax
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 19

Postby 08limited - December 12th, 2016, 11:20 am

Thanks for the reply!

Actually I called the guy to arrange for me to pick them up today and he already sold them :wall: so after calling around, I'm going to be getting a set of 225/65/17 [stock size] Nexen Win-Spikes for $376 installed tomorrow at my local tire shop. Not a bad price either as that's the installed/OTD price and the others would have had to be mounted/balanced/tire stems/etc., etc., etc. A lot of snow tires are out of stock for ordering, I'm assuming because of all the snow that's fallen in the past couple of days. I would've rather had a set of Coopers or Hankooks, but I'll give the Nexens a shot and see how good they do. :)

I live out in the country and before we get the first good snow, a lot of the guys with big 4x4's take their wider tires off and put the "pizza cutter" snow tires on cause they cut through the snow better. I knew the skinnier tires would be better, but was just concerned about the slightly smaller size. The tire shop said that they wouldn't recommend putting smaller tires than the originals on and that's okay with me, I think I'm still getting a pretty good deal and they're 100% better than the half-worn all-seasons! :beer:
08limited

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby MadMax - December 12th, 2016, 11:50 am

I'm on my 2nd set of Nexens and have been quite pleased with them. For the money they're hard to beat :thumb:
2010 Escape XLT 3.0 V6 AWD, Sun and Sync. Mods: OEM Running boards modded with LED lighting and red accent. LED lighting lower bumper front and rear. Paramount Grille, LED DRLs and fog lights, Interior LED accents, Custom Mud Flaps, Body side and bumper moldings, Blackened fog light bezels and ESCAPE letters, Chrome wheel skins, Tail light guards, Chrome exhaust tip, Custom roof rack with Carbon Fiber and red accents, Strut Tower bar, K&N filter, AVS Vent Visors

MadMax
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 19

Postby 08limited - December 12th, 2016, 1:52 pm

If the winter tires prove to be as good as the reviews I've read about them, including yours, then I'll definitely be looking into the Nexen brand for new summer tires next year. :yahoo: Thanks!
08limited

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Mike Dee - December 13th, 2016, 9:55 pm

I've had Nexens for a few winters now and havent had any complaints, got mine at walmart for a decent price. Mine are directional and I didnt notice until I had put the last tire on a month ago lol, dont remember if I put them on correctly last year or not.

Those tires both appear to be 28" Tire Diameter. As long as you keep the same diameter then things like the speedometer will be fine. Its not recommended to go much wider than OEM because of possible rubbing and excess wear because of the extra work the vehicle needs to do to spin those heavier tires.
I would prefer to go with the narrowest snow tire I could get, sometimes you only have very limited options though, but changing rims to a 16 or 18" could also be an option.
Many cars now have wide tires, they are great for cornering at 80mph on dry pavement, but that width is dangerous when the roads get wet or snowy. They also cost more.
Mike Dee

E-C LEVEL 4
Congratulations on reaching 500 posts!

Postby 08limited - December 13th, 2016, 10:18 pm

Actually I ordered them yesterday and they were installed today. I went with the Nexen WinGuard WinSpikes, 225/65/17 [stock size] and I really do like them! I went driving on the back roads, in the snow, and it was amazing the difference between the new snows and the worn all-seasons! lol We're supposed to get more snow Friday/Saturday so while the fresh snow is on the road I'll be out there seeing how they do. I'm thinking they'll do just fine. Even better would be a 4WD Escape, but alas it's just a FWD, but new tires have made a world of difference so far. :thumb:

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions!
08limited

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Mike Dee - December 14th, 2016, 8:32 am

Snow tires are great but dont let them make you think you are invincible lol, every winter we see many SUVs in the ditch or flipped over. A few days ago we had ice and snow and my friends Tribute got thru it all, but it was like driving with all seasons, the ABS and AWD didnt seem to help much that day lol, there were many accidents all around us that day. I cant imagine what it would have been like with all seasons.
Mike Dee

E-C LEVEL 4
Congratulations on reaching 500 posts!

Postby MadMax - December 14th, 2016, 8:57 am

Here's the thing, although snow tires are ALWAYS better then all-seasons in winter driving not everyone can afford or have the storage space for an extra set of tires. We had a foot of snow here the other day and as always my 4WD E with all-seasons pushes through without hesitation. I have never gotten even close to being stuck in snow with either my E or Tribute. They are amazing in snow.

If I had a tire shop and were trying to promote the sale of more snow tires I would offer FREE STORAGE for everyone's extra set of tires. I bet a tire shop could double their snow tire sales with such an offer :yes:

MadMax
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 19

Postby 08limited - December 14th, 2016, 12:52 pm

Oh yes, I'm VERY aware that I'm NOT invincible just because I've got more grip. lol

I'm the one in the family with the most common sense when it comes to driving cautiously in nasty weather. I get a kick out of seeing other female drivers [and some males, too] zipping along the highway, passing slower drivers, thinking they're invincible because they've got 4WD or AWD and low and behold, somewhere down the road, there they are, stuck in the ditch because they thought they could go the posted speed limit on slippery/icy roads. Living in MI I've seen it more times than I can remember. Of course it isn't funny if someone gets hurt, but just sliding off the side of the road and burying their vehicle in a 3' snowdrift and having to wait 2 hours for a tow truck to come and pull them out makes me laugh. :lol: I bet I'll be to my destination WAY before them, I'll get there in one piece and with more gas cause if it's cold, they'll be idling their vehicle until that tow truck gets there! lol

Thankfully I have plenty of storage area for the summer tires and yes, I also think they would sell more snow tires if they would offer free storage.
08limited

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Return to Tires And Rims