Winter tires

Tires, rims, lugs, wheel locks, detailing, more

Winter tires

Postby Barks507 - December 4th, 2016, 10:14 pm

Has anyone ever used just 2 winter tires on the FRONT only on FWD?
Only looking for replies to question asked.
Thanks
Barks507

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!
My vehicle: 2009 Ford Escape 4cyl

Re: Winter tires

Postby Mike Dee - December 5th, 2016, 8:41 pm

I did on my car. I got the car, decided to put snows only on the front, and during one of the first snowfalls I played around in a parking lot like I do at the start of most winters, to get the feel of the snow again after many months of good weather lol.

As I was driving, and making sharp turns, the rear end spun out as you would expect on a RWD when you were giving too much gas. That hadnt happened to me in any other FWD so it freaked me out. I would always joke that the rear wheels were only there to keep the back from dragging down the road. I'm not sure if its just the car design/weight distribution, etc or not, but I just decided to be on the safe side and put snows on the rear. After that I couldnt get the back to spin out unless I locked up the rear wheels. That could have easily caught someone off guard, like going thru a curve that suddenly gets icy or slippery and then you spin off into the ditch.

Its best to have the same tires on each wheel, that way they all have the same traction.
I'm not sure if anyone has gone with snows only on the front of any of these, either the FWD or AWD, if it makes a difference, or if anyone experienced a similar situation as I did.
Mike Dee

E-C LEVEL 4
Congratulations on reaching 500 posts!

Postby Rob M - December 5th, 2016, 11:28 pm

This would be a similar effect to buying a pair of new all season tires and placing them on the front though it is recommended to put them on the rear. If you run snow tires on the front, you will have significantly more capability to start and keep the vehicle moving forward in the snow while being able to initiate directional changes via steering - to the front half of the vehicle. The problem is that the rear of your vehicle will be riding on ice skates in comparison. If you become overconfident in the handling that the new found traction affords you on the front half of the vehicle, you will, as Mike alludes to, be passed by the rear wheels of the vehicle. In reality, you may be safer with no snow tires than two on the front because you would be forced to drive much more conservatively and might not venture out into bad conditions at all if avoidable or if you were stuck in your driveway. If you were to get two snow tires I would also imagine that most tire installers (at least the ones that don't want to be sued) would put them on the rear of a FWD vehicle. I have a RWD two seater that sits on summer tires. It is extremely safe in the snow because once you let your foot off the brake the wheels will simply spin and it's nearly impossible to move at all - so it stays parked. :lol:
Rob M

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!

Postby FRENCHY - December 6th, 2016, 8:23 am

In my province, it is mandatory to have 4 winter tire between dec 15 to march the 15.
I've heard that Ontario maybe subscribe to that law?
15 YEARS OF DRIVING FORD ESCAPE
2011 Ford Escape LTD Tuxedo Black Metallic-EX RIDE, 3 other Escape, My Father has my ex 2008 E Limited
-I am sold with Ford, sorry other brand - I try your car everytime before buying a Ford.

Pics of my E viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7758&start=30#p366903
FRENCHY
Sympatico Modérateur, membre du comité d'accueil, et la première affiche sur le quatrième serveur de E-C

E-C LEVEL 21
My nickname: Frenchy
My vehicle: 2011 Ford Escape Limited/SAP
My vehicle's name: TFO(The Fourth One)

Postby Mike Dee - December 6th, 2016, 9:43 am

There is talk, but you know how long that may go on, years, decades or maybe forgotten when they realize people will get angry or see it as a tax, big brother, etc.
Some insurance companies give small discounts for them, probably over 50% of cars here dont have them, which I dont understand, once I tried them after years of not having them, I wont go back to all seasons.
Mike Dee

E-C LEVEL 4
Congratulations on reaching 500 posts!

Return to Tires And Rims