Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Tire size certificate

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  32840 
#1 ·
Hello to all,

I am new here so please have patience with me.
I am a proud owner of an 2009 Escape Limited.
The problem is - a US car in Europe, All my questions and problems are not solved through Ford Dealers in Europe. I have to struggle even with easy things.
But when I bought my first Escape (in Europe Maverick) the 2008 onwards model was my dream car. Finally I have it and I love it.

Actually, I have a 225/65/R17 tires on my escape, aswell as in registration book.
But I know I can have other sizes aswell.

I have some spare 16" winter tires with wheels from my 2005 escape and I would like to use them. The problem is, I have to have them written in my reg. book.
No one in Europe can help me with a certificate, which tires I can use. Ihave written also to Ford USA but without any answer.

Is there a possibility to help me? I would highly appreciate it.

See less See more
#2 ·
I dont know what you are referring to. In north america people can put practically any sized tire on almost any vehicle, there arent many laws that prohibit tire size, but there are laws about vehicle width and height, but are mostly used for commercial vehicles, for example, 102 inches is the maximum width, but I dont know what anyone would do if you put wide tires on your SUV and the width of the vehicle ended up being 110 inches wide because of the tires.

Here is a page that lists tire sizes, you would want to stick to a 28" diameter tire unless you are prepared to modify things in order to keep the correct speedometer reading.
https://tiresize.com/chart/
You could have 16 inch rims or 20 inch, as long as they fit over the brakes and dont interfere with anything, you can go with a slightly wider tire, but people here have found problems with tires wider than 245mm I believe. The tires and rims from your older escape should fit right on.

#4 ·
Unfortunately, in Europe you have to have the tire sizes in your registration book. :wall:
So when the police stops you (or you go to MOT), they can inspect it. You cannot have any other tire size then the one written in your reg. book.

The procedure in Germany aswell here is, that by the first inspection of the imported car they inspect the tires on your car and write it down to your reg book.

When you want to have some other tire size, you go to a local transportation department and can write it to your reg. book.
But you will need some proof that it can be used, mostly a certificate from producer/importer/seller, on which stands you can youse this and this tire size.

Weird huh?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.