Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Signature pictures

3M views 142 replies 50 participants last post by  Charles 
#1 ·
We've had a few rough days around here lately, so we (the mods) are putting up a set of E-C Posting Rules soon.

Until then, we've noticed that the size of some signature pictures is really getting out of control, some to the point of making entire threads unreadable. While I can't limit the picture size directly, we are going to ask everyone to limit signature picture sizes to around 300 pixels tall by 640 pixels wide, maximum.

Yes, there are users who use the site on smaller screens than HD or higher, and on phones and mobile devices (especially), these Jumbotron-sized signatures gobble up data plans like crazy, they make pages take minutes to finish, and they make the text on the site impossible to find.

If we see large signature pictures, we're going to start PMing users to make them smaller. If you can't do this yourself, PM me, and I'll do it for you.

Sorry, but the out-of-control stuff around here lately needs some control.

Thanks.

#2 ·
:thumb:

#3 ·
I understand where you are coming from but see my picture below and the signature's I made were over you size limit with a height of 278px by a length of 959.

But here is the thing all the pictures are "221KB, 256KB and mine at 303KB which is nothing on download size and really has no impact on data plans.

Are the signatures I made a problem even though the are below 303KB's?

*EDIT: Grammar.

#4 ·
Everyone in the City needs to be in compliance with JP's request. No exceptions. He's the boss, applesauce. :yes:

#7 ·
They take up more than half my screen at 1280x1024, disrupting the flow of threads. You have to take into account the height of your text as well as the picture in your signature.

The file size may be small, but for mobile devices it takes up considerable processing power to resize that picture, render it, reformat the web page to fit it in, then repeat. I'm using a hybrid OS7 browser on my BlackBerry (supposed to be the fastest they've made, almost equal to iOS Safari) and some threads in which multiple large-signature posters participate take more than 30 seconds to load. In comparison, the E-C home page loads in about four seconds.

#13 ·
ScubaBrett22 said:
Lovely. Back to the old style signature..
Don't take it as a personal attack. We're lucky to have made it this far without any "real form" of rules until now. And remember, there are a lot of other things that have kinda gotten out of control. JP's just trying to make small changes where it counts instead of one big change where it could potentially ruin EC.

#14 ·
This request and the upcoming Rules of Conduct are all about making the experience here better for everyone. Not everyone has high-speed internet or the latest and greatest equipment to handle all the photos and giant signatures we have. In fact, I hate coming here on my iPhone 4 because it takes so long to just browse around.

We have been growing in leaps and bounds lately. This is great in many ways but it doesn't come without challenges and a few speed bumps. We want E-C to be around for a long time. We want it to be a friendly place and we want to make it easy for members & visitors to find all the great info we have. This is what we are working towards. Thanks to all the members who are helping us achieve this! :peace:

#16 ·
Tang said:
ScubaBrett22 said:
Lovely. Back to the old style signature..
Don't take it as a personal attack. We're lucky to have made it this far without any "real form" of rules until now. And remember, there are a lot of other things that have kinda gotten out of control. JP's just trying to make small changes where it counts instead of one big change where it could potentially ruin EC.
I'm not and I know they are making the forum better, just I dislike small things -__- and I know not everyone has "High speed Internet using fiber optics" and not everyone has a great phone, I just bought my own blackberry curve with my money and I just don't have the time to load some of the pages on here too, I also know not everyone has a nice LCD screen or LED some may be running a CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitor!

I am sorry if I offended anyone with that post I just don't really like my older smaller signatures from the past, not enough room to work in.

#17 ·
I'm in agreement with the picture size limitation, but...
When I first posted pictures and reviewed I was overwhemled by how large the picture was that I posted and I could not figure out how to make it smaller. The large pictures that I posted limited me to what I wanted to say, so how do I do it? In my camera or on site?

#21 ·
I'm glad this was made into a rule. :thumb:

I don't have a problem loading the signatures or viewing the site....but I don't like seeing HUGE signatures that take up more space than all of the information in the thread combined...especially if that sig is on the same page multiple times. :doh:

I'm on 2 other forums and their size limitations are about the same as here, so I won't need to change mine. :)P

#23 ·
jkdubz said:
I resize mine using MS Paint.

Is my sig pic too big? Just wondering in case I need to do some resizing.
Width is alright. You're 88px too tall though. If you reduce height and width to 77%, you should be OK.

#25 ·
Noted! I'm about 20px over, but I'll trim them back a bit, no big! :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.