Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

2008 Mariner drivers side leak

17K views 49 replies 6 participants last post by  thesavo 
#1 ·
Has anyone else had their driver's side foot well leak after a heavy rain storm?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
No leaves or dirt on top of the wiper cowling. Where do they drain to?

I'm pulling up the carpet now. It's pretty soaked in there

I wonder where this cover drains to on the windshield. This has been loose for a while. But no leaks until now.

#4 ·
I'm taking a stab that it's the steering grommet. I changed the universal joint back in 2014. I found some plastic bits that look like they hold it in place. I cut out the carpet so the area can dry.

I spread some Silicon on the body and pressed it back into place.

#8 ·
thesavo said:
Fresh puddle of water with today's rain storm. I think it's time to clear out the drain tubes with some trimmer line.

I just found this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17502&start=10

Does anyone know where the tubes are suppose to exit? is it out the wheel well or out the bottom of the body?
It exits into the fender somewhere. I'd be cautious about sticking stuff in the drain hold to clear it out. The hose is only pushed on and not secured with anything to the sunroof frame. If you push too hard and disconnect the hose, you may end up having to remove the headliner to reconnect it.

#9 ·
thesavo said:
Fresh puddle of water with today's rain storm. I think it's time to clear out the drain tubes with some trimmer line.

Does anyone know where the tubes are suppose to exit? is it out the wheel well or out the bottom of the body?
On the drivers side it exits at the bottom of the fender flare right behind the tire (2006). The tire throws crap right at it. Not sure if both sides drain into the drivers side or if passenger has its own exit. Blow it out from above then squirt some water in the trough and verify it comes out underneath.

Sent from my 9020A using Tapatalk

#10 ·
14theRoad said:
thesavo said:

It exits into the fender somewhere. I'd be cautious about sticking stuff in the drain hold to clear it out. The hose is only pushed on and not secured with anything to the sunroof frame. If you push too hard and disconnect the hose, you may end up having to remove the headliner to reconnect it.
The drain tube connects to the hose behind the A-pillar trim cover.

#11 ·
indybp57 said:
On the drivers side it exits at the bottom of the fender flare right behind the tire (2006). The tire throws crap right at it. Not sure if both sides drain into the drivers side or if passenger has its own exit. Blow it out from above then squirt some water in the trough and verify it comes out underneath.

You wouldn't have a picture of the exit drain, would you? It would be handy to see if my trimmer line is making it out. I don't know if I'm hitting an obstruction or body panels outside.

Update. I managed to disconnect the inlet tube from the main drain tube. I was hitting an obstruction about a foot or so in.

I pulled off the inlet tube and sprayed Compressed air down, while crimping it tight around the air nosel. The tube would get bloated for a moment with each spray. I must have something big in there and freeed up a little. The tube doesn't get bloated when sprayed now. I can get the trimmer line down 2.5 feet now before getting stuck.

#13 ·
I don't recall the line being visible/accessible with just a-pillar trim being removed on my 06 but that was 4 years ago.

I'd be cautious of using too much pressure. The line is a drain tube, not a line with any intent to hold any amount of significant pressure I would assume so, too much pressure and you could blow the line completely. If you remove the kick panel on the drivers side nearest the door where the carpet is wet you may be able to see where the tube connects to the body of the escape.

The reason you may not be able to get the line further than 2.5' is that it may just make a hard turn towards it's exit and you've already cleared it (thus the reason it got clogged in the first place). In that case, compressed air won't hurt anything.

An easier test would be to simply put a bit of water down the tube and see how quickly it drains out.

#15 ·
The little pancake compressor did the trick. The driver side drains as fast as the passenger side now. I think I'll make this an annual maintenance item. Pull off the A-pillar covers and blow out the lines.
Just for reference, my 2008 drains are behind the skirting. Between the wheel flair and the escape/Mariner logo on the door. I can't see it drain, but that's where the water came out.

#17 ·
From the first pics, I could not tell what was wet and what was dry. FWIW.

If you can find someone to operate a garden hose, you can climb in, upside down, flashlight in hand, and watch for the entry point of the water.
Does the 'jute' carpet padding get wet at a particular spot? Or, does the water seem to run down the side of the body, to the left of where a lot of emergency or parking brake pedals reside? There was a problem with earlier models that allowed water to come down the left side and drizzle onto the fuse box mounted there. Not a good thing. Search here and at ford-trucks and you may find the resolution.
Could you have corrosion on the lower corner of the windshield, under the trim, allowing water to flow through a rusted-through hole? You could pull the exterior trim panels from the lower corner and inspect. I'd think you could see the water trickling down the interior panel if so.
When it comes down to it, someone will have to watch for leaks. IDEA: the gopro camera trick - they'll go where you won't want to. Plop it on a sandbag and pour water with the doors closed... view at leisure while enjoying an adult beverage, in an easy-chair! Well, it seemed like a good idea...
tom

#19 ·
Quote:It's coming from where the headliner meets the A-pillar.

In the picture with the red '2.5 ft', would that be up high, the area that appears totally dark?
If so, your choices appear to be: 1)door jamb gasket, 2) sunroof trough or tube leak or 3)upper windshield gasket leak. Unless you have rust-through in the sheet metal up there.
Can you see water trickling down the A-pillar? If it is leaking where you say, headliner<>A-pillar, it has to be up high, and should be visible with the trim panel removed. Is it?
tom

#20 ·
This may just be one of those situations where you just want to buck up and drop the headliner to get a look at the entire setup. Water can/does travel so you could be chasing your tail until you get a complete view of what's going on.

It's not terribly difficult but it is time consuming. All of the trim panels that touch the head liner need to be removed (delicately) Don't pry or muscle them off unless you know where the actual connection point from the trim to the body is, you'll rip the anchor from the plastic trim and they are not replaceable in some cases.

After you remove the header you'll be able to trace the leak based on staining and possible rust and dirt.

#22 ·
thesavo said:
What about the molding around the moon-roof itself? Is that also holding it up?
No. The sliding cover for the sunroof is attached to the sunroof frame itself and not to the headliner. The molding around the sunroof on the interior is attached just to the headliner and does not need to be messed with when removing the headliner.

The backing for the headliner that provides most of the support is just a thick type of formed cardboard or pressed paper board. You'll want to have two people when pulling out so you don't bend/kink the headliner.

#23 ·
On my '06 Escape water is infiltrating between the moonroof window gasket and the metal frame that the glass is mounted to. If you look around the edges from the inside and see rust between the glass and the glass frame then that is probably where the leak is. On mine sometimes the water drips onto my lap off the headliner and sometimes runs out the handhold on the drivers side pillar. I'm in the process of attempting a cheap fix and will post photos when I'm done.

#24 ·
It's leaking from the headliner/A-pillar for me too. I was going to have friends help me with removing the headliner.

I just practiced at a Salvage yard. This one Didn't have a moon roof

Here is what I learned.
Prying Christmas tree fasters will dent headliner
Need tiny plastic tool pry for pillar plastic bolt covers
10mm bolts for pillar covers
12mm. Bolts for child seat anchors
Anchor covers pop off easily.
Maybe t-50 for seat belt.

Remove seat belt finish covers, careful from back.
Must remove pillar covers to not add creases

I don't now how to get it past the b-pillars, b/c of the seat belt adjustment is in the way.
I need to get the x-mas tree clips out w/out compressing the area around it.

Rear seat courtesy light.

C-pillar

Rear seat belt cover

#25 ·
Do you think this 2005 MY trim removal guide applies to 2008 MY?

I found the headliner removal guide. It references the trim panel directions from another section.
I hope little has changed from 2005 - 2010

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.