Transmission issues

Got a problem? Want to find the solution? Check here!

Transmission issues

Postby dpmeeks - January 11th, 2017, 2:39 pm

I purchased a 02 escape xlt from my neighbor. It is a one owner. She recently had the transmission completely rebuilt. Ive read this is a common problem. Is there anything I can do to keep this from happening again ?
dpmeeks

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Re: Transmission issues

Postby LX302 - January 12th, 2017, 9:10 am

Yes,
Frequent transaxle fluid changes and using the correct fluid.
A dump and fill every 15K miles is what I've been doing since my Tribute was new.
Search the forum, plenty of information on the procedure on how to accomplish it.
If you can change the oil and you change the trans fluid.
Original owner of these vehicles:
'87 Ford Mustang LX 5.0L Hatchback 246,000 miles
'98 Ford Taurus SE 24V 115,000 miles
'05 BMW 330i 126,000 miles
'05 Mazda Tribute s AWD 116,000 miles
LX302

E-C LEVEL 3
My vehicle: 2005 Mazda Tribute s AWD

Postby tomw - January 12th, 2017, 10:51 am

Unless you are towing a boat or trailer regularly, or drive in stop and go traffic during hot weather a lot, changing the fluid, or doing a partial change, would not need to be done at such low intervals. IMO. 15k intervals are pretty short.
Use Mercon V rated fluid as it is based on synthetic oil, and can handle heat with less breakdown.
You can replace about 60% of the fluid by removing the splash shield on the drivers side, and draining the transmission. It has a square holed plug that accepts a 3/8" drive ratchet or extension. Remove that and the fluid will fall out. You should get around 6 quarts. I think capacity is around 10, so you are doing a good percentage change with just a drain and refill.
My suggestion would be closer to the 30k mile interval unless subject to the previously mentioned conditions. If your driving is highway, or low density slower speeds, it should be happy with that interval. Fluid that smells badly indicates overheating and need for change. Mercon has a petroleum odor more than previous ATFs, such as Dexron and Type F, but if it smells or stinks, a change is in order. You can get gallons at Wally of Valvoline that meets the FoMoCo standard and is priced a bit less than quart size containers. You will need a long funnel unless your aim is very good. Measure what drains, and replace with the same amount.
tom
tomw

E-C LEVEL 7
My nickname: tom
My vehicle: 07 mariner 2wd v6
My vehicle's name: moby the white whale

Postby 14theRoad - January 12th, 2017, 2:16 pm

dpmeeks wrote:I purchased a 02 escape xlt from my neighbor. It is a one owner. She recently had the transmission completely rebuilt. Ive read this is a common problem. Is there anything I can do to keep this from happening again ?

What is a common problem? Rebuild is a solution to a problem. I don't see a problem stated. :?

How many miles on the vehicle? How was the transmission maintained?

Ford recommends a flush (not just a drain/refill) every 30K. That would make the drain and refill at every 15K on par with a flush at every 30K.

The filter in these transmissions (CD4E) is not serviceable so even with a drain/refill every 15K, I would still recommend a flush at least once every 60K.

That's my $0.02
:peace:
14theRoad

E-C LEVEL 4
Congratulations on reaching 500 posts!

Postby dpmeeks - January 13th, 2017, 10:27 am

Thank you for all the info. My neighbor is good about oil changes and all that but she never had the trans fluid changed and it had about 150k on it when it failed. She had it completely rebuilt at a reputable trans shop here where I live so I just don't want the failure to happen again.
dpmeeks

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby 14theRoad - January 13th, 2017, 2:15 pm

dpmeeks wrote:Thank you for all the info. My neighbor is good about oil changes and all that but she never had the trans fluid changed and it had about 150k on it when it failed. She had it completely rebuilt at a reputable trans shop here where I live so I just don't want the failure to happen again.

Ok, so the fluid was never changed. That's the problem. The solution in that unfortunate case was to rebuild the transmission because it most likely failed from that or that was a significant contributing factor in the failure.

Anyways, good looking forward to avoid that problem again :thumb:
14theRoad

E-C LEVEL 4
Congratulations on reaching 500 posts!

Return to Problems And Solutions