2008 mercury mariner vibration

Got a problem? Want to find the solution? Check here!

2008 mercury mariner vibration

Postby dirtstocker73 - December 1st, 2016, 11:40 am

i have a 2008 Mariner. V6 AWD. has a very bad vibration at around 40-45mph. and gets worse, vibrates so bad you cant see straight. u-joints have been replaced and driveshaft balanced. rear diff has been replaced (used). swapped wheels and tires from another truck. front halfshafts have been replaced. pto has been replaced (used). nothing has changed the vibration except for removing driveshaft and driving without it. which is a lot better. any suggestions? maybe driveshaft is no good even tho its been balanced ? thanks
dirtstocker73

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Re: 2008 mercury mariner vibration

Postby Charles - December 1st, 2016, 5:19 pm

First of all, welcome to the City!!!! :welcome: Sorry you are having issues with your Mariner.

I am moving your thread to our Problems and Solutions forum to increase the likelihood of getting an answer to your question.
Image Image

Present vehicles
2016 Escape Titanium FWD, Shadow Black, Equipment Pkg 301A, Titanium Technology Package with HID Auto Headlamps, BLIS, Active Park Assist, 2.0L EcoBoost, Panoramic Vista Roof, SYNC3 with Navigation, 19" wheels

2012 Buick Verano Leather Group - Black Onyx - Sunroof, Navigation, Premium Exterior Package, WeatherTech DigitalFit liners (1st & 2nd Row)
Charles
Super Moderator and Supreme Overlord of Web Darkness

E-C LEVEL 21
My nickname: Charles
My vehicle: 2016 Escape Titanium FWD 2.0L
My vehicle's name: Shadow

Postby MTNEscaped - December 1st, 2016, 8:24 pm

dirtstocker73 - Today, 11:40 am

i have a 2008 Mariner. V6 AWD. has a very bad vibration at around 40-45mph. and gets worse, vibrates so bad you cant see straight. u-joints have been replaced and driveshaft balanced. rear diff has been replaced (used). swapped wheels and tires from another truck. front halfshafts have been replaced. pto has been replaced (used). nothing has changed the vibration except for removing driveshaft and driving without it. which is a lot better. any suggestions? maybe driveshaft is no good even tho its been balanced ? thanks

Another welcome.
:welcome:

With the driveshaft out how much slop in the output shaft / yoke to the driveshaft?
Tried having a transmission shop look at it? :?
2008 Ford Escape XLT 4WD
Plain Jane with K & N filter / Optima yellow top battery / Goodyear Gatorback serpentine belt / Sensen front struts
30+ years of ford parts that do me no good at all on MTNEscaped !
MTNEscaped

E-C LEVEL 3
My nickname: Mtnman
My vehicle: 2008 XLT Escape 4WD
My vehicle's name: MTNEscaped

Postby 14theRoad - December 2nd, 2016, 1:16 pm

MTNEscaped wrote:
dirtstocker73 - Today, 11:40 am

Another welcome.
:welcome:

With the driveshaft out how much slop in the output shaft / yoke to the driveshaft?
Tried having a transmission shop look at it? :?

I would assume that whoever balanced the drive shaft also indexed it correctly back into the drive train? Have you tried simply rotating the shaft a quarter turn in the mounting holes to see if any of the positions reduce the vibration?

Also, there's a pinion angle that may need to be checked and adjusted.

Pinion angle is the angle of the shaft in relation to the output shaft of the Transmission and the Pinion flange of the differential. If that angle is off you can get noise and vibration.

Start with the indexing first. You can do that at home on your own. Check the transmission flange and pinion flange for marks to see if first they are aligned. If not, align them, with the shaft off, then install the shaft and index it if needed.

If no marks exist, just clock the shaft until you get less or no vibration.

if that doesn't work, have the pinion angle checked by a reputable Driveline shop.
14theRoad

E-C LEVEL 4
Congratulations on reaching 500 posts!

Postby Squirrel - December 3rd, 2016, 6:13 pm

What kind of vibration? Is it thru the whole car? Is it only thru the steering wheel? Are the tires wearing oddly?
'04 Escape XLT | V-6 | FWD | Factory Bug Shield | Boss Audio BV9384NV double din touchscreen w/NAV | Esky EC170-08 High Definition Color CMOS Waterproof Car Backup Camera | Geartist GTS8500b Reverse Backup Radar Sound Alert | CIPA 36400 Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror with Compass and Temperature | carfieldenterprise.com Strut Tower Brace
Squirrel

E-C LEVEL 4
My nickname: Squirrel!
My vehicle: 2004 XLT FWD; 2006 FEH AWD
My vehicle's name: Wannabe Bronco; Ghost

Return to Problems And Solutions