spark plugs

Got a problem? Want to find the solution? Check here!

spark plugs

Postby Canuck - December 7th, 2015, 11:57 am

I have 2003 Escape V6 with 60,000 miles. The spark plugs have never been changed. Should they be changed based on age?
The Escape runs well.
Canuck

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Re: spark plugs

Postby JohnCT - December 7th, 2015, 2:14 pm

Canuck wrote:I have 2003 Escape V6 with 60,000 miles. The spark plugs have never been changed. Should they be changed based on age?
The Escape runs well.

Plugs in aluminum heads should be pulled every 4 years or so, just to keep them from permanently welding themselves into the heads. While plugs don't age, they should have been pulled or replaced at least twice by now.

John
JohnCT

E-C LEVEL 4
Congratulations on reaching 500 posts!
My nickname: John
My vehicle: 2004 Tribute 2005 Tribute S

Postby Escapeism - December 7th, 2015, 10:16 pm

And I believe you pull them with a cold soaked engine.
2013 Escape Titanium 2.0 4WD - Build Date 09/2012 - Ginger Ale - Panoramic Roof - Tow Package - Roof Racks - Mud Flaps - Husky Weatherbeaters - Kuga Rear LED Tail Lights - Body Color Rear Spoiler - Kuga Rear Fog Lights - LockPick Rear Camera - Added Factory NAV
-
Escapeism

E-C LEVEL 4
My vehicle: 2013 Escape Titanium 4WD

Postby tomw - December 8th, 2015, 12:02 pm

If you decide to pull them just to make sure they don't stick, it might be worthwhile to use a torque wrench while loosening them. On the 4.6 with the plug sticking and falling apart problem, they limit the torque to 35ft/lb, and stop, tighten 1/4 turn, and add more penetrating oil, WD-40, PBBlaster, or ATF/Acetone 50-50 mix and wait. More waiting is good, as it will allow any 'sticky' to get softened by the penetrant, and possibly allow removal of the plugs without them disintegrating and leaving a shell inside... spelled expensive.
Along the same lines, if you are pulling the plugs, and they don't want to come out smoothly, by HAND, (using a socket and extension for access), then I'd throw some penetrant as above on them, and go inside and goof for a 1/2 hour, and then try again. You might just save the aluminum threads on your head by taking your time.
If you get them out successfully, be sure to glop on some anti-seize compound to the next time won't be a problem. Two cents, please.
tom
tomw

E-C LEVEL 7
My nickname: tom
My vehicle: 07 mariner 2wd v6
My vehicle's name: moby the white whale

Return to Problems And Solutions