Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Advanced Diagnostics with FORScan

8K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  Mountain Escape 
#1 ·
FORScan is an advanced diagnostic tool for Ford and Mazda vehicles. In addition to scanning and clearing OBD codes, FORScan can also reach other modules as located on high and medium-speed CAN that are out of the reach of normal code readers. Such modules may include, but are not limited to ABS, 4x4, RCM, OCS, APIM, ACM, and PCM modules. For those keeping score, this means that you can not only investigate check engine lights, but airbag lights, ABS lights, and wrench/powertrain lights.

FORScan also has the ability to execute certain routines on the vehicle when applicable. These "service procedures" are simple programming or reset procedures that are available depending upon vehicle features. 2013+ vehicles, for example, will be able to take advantage of the Battery Management Reset procedure, while 2013-14 and older vehicles can take advantage of a procedure that clears the PCM's adaptive learning strategy/keep alive memory.

Before you can use FORScan, please consider the following prerequisites. At a minimum, you will require:

1.) A laptop capable of running Windows
2.) An ELM327 compatible device (Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, or USB - your choice). These are available on Amazon for less than $20, and often closer to $10 depending upon how the device connects. USB is recommended for ease of connection, but you may choose BT or Wi-Fi adapters if you wish the device to also provide data to a smartphone (for use with other apps).
3.) A copy of FORScan: http://www.forscan.org/download.html

Please note and keep the following in mind before we begin:

1.) FORScan is a freeware product. It may have bugs, crash, or be unable to complete a procedure. You get what you pay for.
2.) Do not execute a service procedure if you do not understand its function. This is extremely important. While the service procedures available to Escape owners at time of writing will not cause any lasting damage, newer and more advanced procedures may cause problems if executed haphazardly. You CAN, however, feel confident that using the program otherwise is safe. We will talk about service procedures in a separate section.
3.) Do not clear codes (OBD codes or module codes) if you will be taking the vehicle to a dealer for service related to that issue.
4.) Clearing ANY codes with FORScan for any module will reset OBD readiness. If your state checks emissions, your vehicle will fail until the readiness monitor is returned to "ready." This will occur even if the codes you wish to clear have nothing to do with OBD emission monitors. This means that even clearing APIM codes will reset OBD readiness, even if no OBD code was ever set. Keep this in mind if your vehicle is up for its state or provincial inspection.
5.) Stock ELM327s cannot reach medium speed CAN modules. For example, FORScan may discover OBD, PCM, 4x4, and RCM codes, but miss HVAC. This is a design limitation. Medium speed CAN modules can be reached by resoldering certain connections on the ELM327 unit. See a tutorial here from the folks at FORScan: http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4

Now that we've got the basics down, let's begin.

Connect your ELM327 device to a laptop and install FORScan. Then, connect your ELM 327 device to the OBD port of your vehicle. Turn the ignition to ON--the engine may run, but is not required. Launch FORScan. After a disclaimer, you'll be at FORScan's home screen:

If you have a USB ELM327, chances are it will have already been detected by FORScan. If you have a BT or Wi-Fi ELM327, see the instructions provided with your interface to pair or interface with your device. Most, however, should automagically (yes, magically) work with few issues. If FORScan does not connect to your vehicle automatically, press the first icon at the bottom of the screen (the connected plug). It will begin seeking vehicle modules as shown above if it has successfully connected to your ELM327. DTCs, if found, will appear below the relevant module. Module discovery should take a couple of minutes for the very first time.

At the end of the scan, FORScan will ask if you have a switch attached to your ELM327. If you have not modified your ELM327, click "no." If you have soldered a switch onto your ELM327, go ahead and hit "yes." FORScan will then attempt to search those modules available on medium speed CAN. For this example, we'll select "no."

After completing module discovery, you'll be prompted to save your vehicle profile. Clicking Yes here will permit FORScan to speed through discovery on subsequent scans.

We're now connected. Let's do some investigating.

Investigating Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)

FORScan will automatically list DTCs found when it scans and discovers the modules in your vehicle. However, to manipulate DTCs, click the triangle icon at the far left. In the page that follows, DTCs will be listed per module. If your car does not have any codes to note, you will see "None" after each module. My Taurus, at this point, tested clean:

If a DTC had appeared, it would be listed with the respective module. Using an earlier build of FORScan some weeks ago, the application found a couple of DTCs present as I was investigating a momentarily failure of my PATS transponder. You may notice that modules are missing from this list. This earlier build, unlike present builds, did not list "none" with fault-free modules, instead omitting them. In the latest build, when DTCs are found, fault-free and faulting modules will both appear in the same list. As a result, your screen will look slightly different than mine if codes are found:

Clicking on a DTC will offer a description of the code along with any possible causes. Keep in mind that the list is not exhaustive, so feel free to consult outside sources (i.e., Google, other E-C members, etc.) Note, however, that just because a DTC appears does not mean that a fault is present. A problem leading to a DTC may no longer exist, but the code itself has yet to clear. For example, I had a cheap iPhone 5 cable that was causing a short. Even after replacing the cable, the code still remained in the APIM. Situations like these are normal and are not cause for concern. You can, however, remove the code if you so choose even if it's not causing any issue in the vehicle.

If you wish to clear a DTC, the second icon at the bottom (yellow triangle with trash can) will clear all codes, in all modules discovered by FORScan. Note, however, that clearing DTCs will also reset OBD readiness (see note at start of article). Do not clear a DTC if you will have a dealer or other mechanic troubleshoot the issue you are investigating with your vehicle. The code will be useful to that party for investigating your issue.

Examining PIDs and Data Recording

FORScan has the ability to pull PIDs per module and sort the data in different views, however, it can only pull PIDs from one module at a time. Thus, while you can record live data from any module you choose, you can only pull data from one module at a time. I cannot, for example, request PIDs from the Body Control Module, and then also pull data from the PCM concurrently. Data that can be retrieved will vary per vehicle and per module.

To begin, press the oscilloscope icon (3rd down at left). Select the module you wish to poll with the drop down list at the bottom. After that, press the cog. You cannot change PIDs or modules without the data collection being stopped first. Because this screen capture was taken mid data recording, some options are disabled, however, you will be able to select them so long as the capture is stopped.

After pressing the preferences cog, you'll be able to select any PID you wish to monitor. Double click PIDs to move them over. Use arrows to move back any PID not desired, or click the trash can icon to clear all currently selected PIDs. When happy with your selection, click the checkmark.

After selecting the PIDs, click the Play button to begin recording data. Please collect data safely. If you need to drive the vehicle, please ensure that any cords from the ELM327 are not obstructing your ability to control the vehicle, and do NOT look at the FORScan screen while driving.

When you've collected the data, click the Stop icon. Use the slider to move between points in the data. Hovering over particular data may yield an informative tooltip elaborating on the PID's function, however, not all PIDs have additional information. If you wish, click the Oscilloscope and Table tabs at top to see the data presented in different ways. Here's some different data in Table view:

Clicking Oscilloscope will yield data in a more graphic format. Because I did not select PIDs that would make best use of that format, I have omitted that screenshot here.

Note: Some PIDs may not return data:

In the example above, FORScan identified a single PID for my TPMS sensors in the front wheels, but multiple PIDs, per tire, for the rear wheels. Only one PID per wheel returned useful data. This is normal and is no cause for concern. However, bear in mind that you may have to make a judgment call if the data returned is simply an unused PID or is indicative of a more serious issue (i.e., failed sensor.)

Module Specific Testing

FORScan can trigger module specific tests. To begin a test, select a module and press the Play button. FORScan will advise you if the vehicle needs to be in a specific state to perform the test. Here, I've elected to test the Audio Control Module (ACM). Failure to follow the instructions may set false DTCs.

FORScan will proceed to test the module. Tests may take minutes, and the vehicle may exhibit strange behaviors during the test. In my Taurus, the ABS light flashes whenever a module is being tested. Depending on the test, beeps or mechanical sounds may be heard while the test is in process. This is normal.

If a DTC is generated off the test, FORScan will display it below in a similar fashion to the DTC window we discussed earlier. However, test results may or may not result in a stored code. A DTC generated during an on-demand test may not be stored in the module as a fault. Here, the ACM test did generate a DTC.

In this example, my center speaker is disconnected and the car properly detected the issue. However, it was not stored as a code under the DTC button at far left.

Service Procedures

FORScan has the ability to execute what are called "service procedures." Service procedures are routines triggered within the specified vehicle module that perform a certain function. At this time, I expect that 2013+ Escapes will have Battery Management System reset available, and most vehicles should have Reset Adaptations (trans/PCM adaptive learning) available. FORScan's developers will add more as time and need permit.

Do not perform a service procedure unless you understand why it exists and how it functions. Current service procedures will not harm your vehicle, but FORScan in later versions may be capable of procedures that can cause problems if used improperly. At the very least, needless resets with current procedures may cause temporary drivability and efficiency issues.

To use a procedure, click on it and press the Play button. For this example, we will use the Reset Adaptations procedure. When a procedure is executed, you will be advised of its function, cautioned of consequences, and given a chance to exit if you so choose.

Some service procedures may require you to take particular actions. FORScan will guide you as necessary to complete the procedure; simply follow the prompts through.

This information should get anyone started who wishes to use the application. If users struggle with their ELM 327s in getting started, post here and I will do my best to assist. Please bear in mind, however, that FORScan is not the "be all end all," it is a diagnostic tool to aid in troubleshooting. It can only retrieve data that the car offers the application. While you should feel free to examine data for your own interests and troubleshooting, do not take FORScan results as fault-free, exacting advice as to any problems you're experiencing with your vehicle. Always consult a qualified professional if a matter is beyond your personal grasp. FORScan will not make you a mechanic more than WebMD makes one a physician. Nevertheless, I do hope that this write-up will prove helpful to the DIY folks present on E-C. As time permits, I'll update this post with clarifications, better screenshots, and additional tips.

See less See more
#2 ·
BUMP: Can a moderator move this to How-To?

Please and Thanks!

[mod]Done, topic move - Frenchy[/mod]

#4 ·
Always happy to oblige. Just be careful with these tools.

#5 ·
Looking forward to reading this later when I get out of work. Looks like a nice detailed write-up :thumb:

#6 ·
Curious if anyone's made use of this info--FORScan really is a wonderful tool.

#27 ·
thanks for that write up, Domain… I agree it probably should be pinned to the top of a page somewhere ( :

I have just picked up ForScan because my old code reader did not cover my current year(2020). they have released a second generation ELM327 PRO, that I am hoping will eliminate the need for the soldering.
FORScan OBD2 Adapter USB ELM327 Scanner Compatible with Ford F150 F250, Automatic (MS/HS) CAN Switching OBDII Diagnostic Scan Tool for Ford Lincoln Mazda Mercury
https://a.co/d/b5kxcDF

for anyone wondering, even the Ford dealership has stated that this is a better diagnostic program than what they currently use.

#8 ·
For those keeping track, FORScan has added a function that allows you to play with various components in real time. I haven't had time to play with it yet, but note that there's a difference between playing with your blend door and fooling the PCM into thinking your engine is overheating.

As always, be careful folks. :shades:

#9 ·
I have to look into this, can it enable/disable DRLs?

#10 ·
Rook said:
Unfortunately, no. You might email the authors and ask about this functionality though. I asked about it a while ago and it was a bit too complicated/time consuming to implement. It's sad, it's the one function that ALL of us could friggen use.

I think a lot of it is erring on the side of caution. I'm 95% sure a re-write of module as-built data is performed to affect the change, which gets a little scary when using a $10 or less ELM327 cheapie interface from overseas.

If you do invest in this project, definitely get one with MS Can already enabled or do some soldering when you get it. Your generation Escape should have a good number of modules on medium speed CAN. When I put it on my father's 2010, I got a good bit fewer modules than I did on my Taurus.

#11 ·
Domain said:
Rook said:
Unfortunately, no. You might email the authors and ask about this functionality though. I asked about it a while ago and it was a bit too complicated/time consuming to implement. It's sad, it's the one function that ALL of us could friggen use.

I think a lot of it is erring on the side of caution. I'm 95% sure a re-write of module as-built data is performed to affect the change, which gets a little scary when using a $10 or less ELM327 cheapie interface from overseas.

If you do invest in this project, definitely get one with MS Can already enabled or do some soldering when you get it. Your generation Escape should have a good number of modules on medium speed CAN. When I put it on my father's 2010, I got a good bit fewer modules than I did on my Taurus.
Yeah, on my to do list as far as modifying an ELM OBDII to read MS CAN.

This is a great program. I used this in conjunction with FoCCCus to enable global open/close for all my windows.

#12 ·
With the latest revision of FORScan, you can now control certain vehicle functions. Today in the Taurus, I played with the Body Control Module and IPC. I was able to play with manual headlight activation (left and right separately, too!), fake out my tachometer and speedo, and turn on the brake lights in the rear. That last one is awesome for seeing if the CHMSL works!

Pretty cool.

Might do an addition to the writeup later in the week if anyone's interested.

#14 ·
You can pick up an ELM 327 that's USB only, and that will work just fine, or one with Wi-Fi instead of Bluetooth.

USB is probably the easiest to work with.

#16 ·
It should read the codes of every module on your vehicle, depending on the configuration of your ELM 327 and year of your vehicle.

If you buy a stock ELM 327, it will not support medium speed CAN bus modules. If you modify it with a little bit of soldering and a toggle switch, then it will.

See a general guide here.

If the module is on high speed CAN, then no modification will be required.

If the vehicle uses an older databus (pre-2005 perhaps but not sure), then I'm not sure how much the ELM will be able to access beyond basic OBD.

Cost of entry here is less than $20, plus your time to solder in a cheap switch. May be worth a shot.

#17 ·
For those keeping score at home, FORScan Lite is available in the iOS App Store, and today, beta testing began for FORScan Lite for Android.

No service procedures in those versions, but you should be able to clear and read codes and pull PIDs as needed.

#19 ·
hate to revive an old thread, but.......

after replacing my PCM (and related parts) I got the OBDLink SX to use in my 06 (because I got tired of running back and forth to the local auto parts store to have my codes checked).

when I first tried to use it my laptop would not find it so I had to download drivers (http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm) and try again. the data link came with a completely usless license activation key for OBDwiz so I did some research and found the current version (version 4 something) is supposed to be free but still needed to register it. when I did this it issued me a license activation key so it was free in the end.

after doing all of this I tried it again and was able to run both FORScan and OBDwiz.

at first try it picked up my new computer as belonging to a 2002 4cyl fusion with a list of DTC's a mile long (FORScan), couldn't get a connection on OBDwiz

so I exited the software unplugged the datalink from the vehicle and attempted the procedure a third time. this time FORScan picked up the correct vehicle and after running a "engine on service procedure" the codes returned were those for "driving cycle not completed" (which was expected because I had to clear all the old codes that were still in the PCM when I received it from CBM) and a P2195 which I expected due to having burned out my front maniCAT. what FORScan also told me was the issue not picked up at the local autoparts place that used a hand scanner. it told me my CAT system was functioning on a sub-par level (which I already knew, I just wanted conformation from the PCM)

after doing this, I thought "let's try the OBDwiz again just for grins and giggles" this time OBDwiz connected (and identified the correct vehicle), and since I had no other DTC's gave me essentially the same information.

so yea, $30 for the data link, and 2 free diagnostic programs that returned the same info...... yea, I got my moneys worth. I wanted to be able to use both programs so I can keep a check on my parents 08 Chevy.

these software programs DO have a learning curve if you want to get the most from them, but for my needs it wont be that steep because I will mainly be using them for DTC checks, and some performance monitoring.

note to self.... have someone install the MS CAN switch........

#20 ·
so I made a universal MScan switch. because the OBDLink SX has the pcb hard soldered directly to the input port (no wires at all) I went the "extension cable" route.

1. the cable: https://www.amazon.com/PRODIAG-Fema...rd_wg=toWag&psc=1&refRID=75KWHMAXQ61B1EJJ8RZ1
2. associated hardware: soldering iron, solder etcetera.
3. bought and gutted a box type phone jack (cable in on one end, rj11 jack on the other)
4. proceeded to the build which can be found on the FORScan site here: http://www.forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6094&p=21239#p21239

tested, and pronounced complete.

my 06 Escape XLT only had the GEM module on the MScan with some previously stored codes I need to find out how to get rid of so I can do a rescan for current DTCs. that will be in another post.

#22 ·
patsfan1704 said:
does anyone know what happened to the pictures in the OP?

Also anyone have any stories to share on this program for an 08-12 model. Just wondering if its worth getting into
Photobucket happened.

It is worth it without question on Gen 2. With abs Brake bleeding and modules tests alone.
Keypad code lookup, SEL feature additions, oil change interval modification, tpms disable, et cetera.

Let alone diagnose sender units with live data. (torque app can too)

Get an OBDLink MX. $90 on Amazon.com, no switch to fiddle with.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#25 ·
SKYWOULF....A little off topic here but I'm just curious about something in your post.. I grabbed a little bit of your conversation and focused on the letters PCM from CBM....
I recently purchased one of their refurbished PCMs for my 06 Escape and after a scan from local Auto parts store, I got these codes... CBM sent me a 2nd PCM and the same error codes for ABS DTC come up with the addition of P1000. My fixit guy is going to check the wiring and electrical to see if that could be causing these codes.
In an online Just Answers chat, I was also told I may have to take it to the dealer for diagnostic to possibly have the AS BUILT DATA or software corrected. Can anyone come in? I apologise for posting if this is totally unrelated to the OP

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#26 ·
did you reprogram your keys (cloned keys will not work MUST be 2 FORD factory keys) according to the directions you got from CBM? i had to reprogram mine 3 times before the programming took, then after the third attempt trying to run Forscan it did in fact read the correct vehicle (vin number)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.