Vehicle Lifting Points

Got a problem? Want to find the solution? Check here!

Re: Vehicle Lifting Points

Postby pjrocco - September 12th, 2016, 1:58 pm

Hoping for a little help. 2011 Escape XLT 3.0 2wd

Front brakes are shot. Dealer wants $375, but I got parts for $150. I’ve done brakes on my older vehicles, so I figured this one can’t be much different.

I went to jack up the Ford this weekend and followed the owner’s manual. Once I started putting pressure at the recommended location, the bracket started to bend. This is the bracket the lower control arm is mounted to. Luckily the bent bracket didn’t affect the drivability.

I then moved to the frame after watching a video on where to jack. Odd thing, as soon as I started putting pressure on the frame it bent the frame! I couldn’t believe it. I’ve jacked up tons of cars with my jack on the frame and it never bent/caved in. I immediately let the Ford down, but now I’m not sure what to do. Did Ford really make the frame of this vehicle this soft? I'm using a Craftsman ½ ton jack with matching stands. No issues like this on my 2008 Lincoln Town car and my son’s 2005 Chevy Trailblazer.

Any suggestions?
pjrocco

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2011 Ford Escape XLT 3.0

Postby Squirrel - October 11th, 2016, 9:55 am

pjrocco wrote:Hoping for a little help. 2011 Escape XLT 3.0 2wd

Front brakes are shot. Dealer wants $375, but I got parts for $150. I’ve done brakes on my older vehicles, so I figured this one can’t be much different.

I went to jack up the Ford this weekend and followed the owner’s manual. Once I started putting pressure at the recommended location, the bracket started to bend. This is the bracket the lower control arm is mounted to. Luckily the bent bracket didn’t affect the drivability.

I then moved to the frame after watching a video on where to jack. Odd thing, as soon as I started putting pressure on the frame it bent the frame! I couldn’t believe it. I’ve jacked up tons of cars with my jack on the frame and it never bent/caved in. I immediately let the Ford down, but now I’m not sure what to do. Did Ford really make the frame of this vehicle this soft? I'm using a Craftsman ½ ton jack with matching stands. No issues like this on my 2008 Lincoln Town car and my son’s 2005 Chevy Trailblazer.

Any suggestions?

Best thing to do is to equal out the force of the lift and that is done by placing a 12"x12"x3/4 piece of plywood on top of the jack head and then place under where the lower control arm attaches to the frame. This is what I have done for 35+ years and never an issue. Hope this helps. :thumb:
'04 Escape XLT | V-6 | FWD | Factory Bug Shield | Boss Audio BV9384NV double din touchscreen w/NAV | Esky EC170-08 High Definition Color CMOS Waterproof Car Backup Camera | Geartist GTS8500b Reverse Backup Radar Sound Alert | CIPA 36400 Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror with Compass and Temperature | carfieldenterprise.com Strut Tower Brace
Squirrel

E-C LEVEL 4
My nickname: Squirrel!
My vehicle: 2004 XLT FWD; 2006 FEH AWD
My vehicle's name: Wannabe Bronco; Ghost

Postby Drjames - November 20th, 2016, 1:03 pm

What about lifting points with a Hi-lift or trail jack? Pretty much nothing eh?
2001 Ford Escape budget adventure rig
Roof basket w/ diy bike racks and shovel mount
Aftermarket hitch and trailer lights
Blacked out grille,Headlight eyelids
Cargo management/Kitchen
AT tires
Stickers!
Drjames

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2001 Escape 4x4 xlt

Previous