Vehicle Lifting Points

Got a problem? Want to find the solution? Check here!

Vehicle Lifting Points

Postby Squishy - December 28th, 2008, 4:22 pm

(click on thumbnails to enlarge)

JACKING
WARNING:
^ DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE WHEN JACKING THE VEHICLE. THE WHEELS CONTACTING THE GROUND COULD CAUSE THE VEHICLE TO MOVE. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS MAY RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY.

^ MAKE SURE THE JACK AND JACK STANDS ARE CORRECTLY LOCATED TO PREVENT THE VEHICLE FROM FALLING. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS MAY RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY.

^ WHEEL CHOCKS SHOULD BE USED TO PREVENT THE VEHICLE FROM ROLLING AND FALLING OFF THE JACK. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS MAY RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY.

CAUTION:
The service jack provided with the vehicle is only intended to be used in an emergency for changing a deflated tire. Never use the service jack to hoist the vehicle for any other service. Refer to the Owner Guide when using the jack supplied with the vehicle.

Jacking Points - Front
1. The front jacking point is at the bolt head of the lower control arm.

Jacking Points - Rear
1. The rear jacking points are located on the rear trailing arms.

LIFTING

Lifting Points

1. The lifting points are part of the uni-body structure. (Ed. note: use this only if you have a "professional" floor jack with a large lifting head)

CAUTION: Damage to the suspension, exhaust or steering linkage components may occur if care is not exercised when positioning the hoist adapters prior to lifting the vehicle.
The goggles, they do nothing!

The Garage:
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Squishy
Basket Case

E-C LEVEL 13
My nickname: Bev
My vehicle: 2003 Ford Escape V6 4x2
My vehicle's name: The Aarghvark

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Vehicle Lifting Points

Postby propellerhead - December 30th, 2008, 6:58 pm

How do you jack up the rear to put jackstands? When I lift up the rear by the rear jacking point (front end of the rear trailing arms) I have no place to put the jackstands.
propellerhead

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2005 Ford Escape Limited

Postby CrashNburn - December 31st, 2008, 12:12 am

put your jack stands under the lower control arms.
ImageImage

2007 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD fully loaded, Silver, Black leather.

2004 Ford Escape True Blue Clearcoat Metallic
added: privacy tint, step bars, vent visors, front mud flaps, velcro DVD in the rear for my munchkins
upgrades: Toyo Open Country AT's, Fram Air, NAPA oil, Castrol Syntex. RIP

2005 CBR600F4i.Bar end mirrors, Smoked Windshield, LED flush mounts, mudflap removed. wifes bike now

2001 CBR929rr stock.
CrashNburn

E-C LEVEL 6
My vehicle: 2004 XLT
My vehicle's name: daughter calls it the trucklet

Postby Squishy - December 31st, 2008, 1:08 am

I have no differential so I lift by the big metal frame where the differential would go. Otherwise, I would put the floor jack under the unibody "lifting point" and jack stands under the "jacking point" on the control arm.

The Garage:
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Squishy
Basket Case

E-C LEVEL 13

Postby jpark - December 31st, 2008, 10:28 am

That's one thing I always liked about the Escape. The jacking points are under the control arms, so you don't need to lift the side of the car 100' in the air so the suspension drops enough to raise the tire.

Rotating tires is sooo easy on an Escape.
ImageImage
2016 Ford Escape Titanium 4WD, Magnetic Metallic, Charcoal Heated Leather, new 9/23/2015
- 2.0L EcoBoost I4, 6-speed auto, 301A, Sync 3/Sirius/HD, Panoramic Roof, Navigation
- Husky WeatherBeater 99741/23741 mats, Ford factory splash guards
2008 Ford Fusion SE FWD, Black, Charcoal/Red leather, new 2/23/2008, still strong and trouble-free
- 2.3L I4, 5-speed auto, Sync, Sport Appearance/Moon 'N Tune/Ambient Lighting packages, Husky WB 98301 mats
2013 Ford Escape Titanium 4WD, Ruby Red Metallic, Charcoal Leather, new 11/2/2012, sold 9/23/2015
2010 Ford Escape Limited FWD, Black, Camel Leather, new 4/22/2010, sold 11/2/2012
2007 Ford Edge SEL Plus AWD, Blazing Copper Metallic, Charcoal Leather, new 6/18/2007, sold 4/22/2010
2005 Ford Escape Limited 4WD, Redfire Metallic, Pebble Leather, new 6/4/2004, sold 6/18/2007
jpark
E-C Administrator

E-C LEVEL 20
My nickname: JP
My vehicle: 2016 Escape Titanium 2.0EB 4WD

Postby propellerhead - December 31st, 2008, 11:23 am

Ok... pictures.

If I jack it up by the proper jacking point, that button thing on the trailing arm, there's no room to put the jackstands. The floor jack takes up all the space.

I tried putting the jackstand at the bottom of the shock absorber but the tire is in the way.

Squishy, do you mean the U-shaped piece in the middle? I tried that but my floor jack won't go high enough to lift the tires high enough for jackstands. Even if it did, wouldn't the tires would move outward as I lower the truck and become unstable?
propellerhead

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Squishy - December 31st, 2008, 3:09 pm

Yes, I mean the U-shaped piece in the middle. Do you have one of those little portable floor jacks? You can try using a block of 4 x 4 to give you a bit of extra clearance, but do not go under the car in that circumstance. The better alternative is to get at least a 3-ton jack. The larger lifting head makes it safer overall.

After looking at the pictures, I don't know if a floor jack would fit on the trailing arm nub with the tires on. I use the lower control arm which attaches to the "U-shaped piece in the middle", placing the jack stands as close to the tire as I can. What are your jack stands rated at? When trying to get the entire car up in the air, you want something with a very wide base like a 6-ton stand. I get away with a cheaper 3-ton set that has a one-piece base that is wider than usual.

The Garage:
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Squishy
Basket Case

E-C LEVEL 13

Postby Mike50 - December 31st, 2008, 11:19 pm

I got a floor jack like this... is yours the same?

and will it work on those points on the Escape?
Mike50

E-C LEVEL 1
Congratulations on reaching 50 posts!
My vehicle: 2007 Ford Escape XLT

Postby Squishy - January 1st, 2009, 12:19 am

That will work with the unibody lifting points. Mine has a hard insert that goes into the cup to make a flat lifting surface; you might want to use a piece of 2 x 4 to prevent damage to the subframe.

The Garage:
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Squishy
Basket Case

E-C LEVEL 13

Postby propellerhead - January 2nd, 2009, 3:49 pm

Help me out with the nomenclature. Which ones are the control arms? Which ones are the trailing arms? Are they the same? What are the arms that go from the center out to the wheels? Which ones go from the frame to the wheels and run parallel to the vehicle?

I have a few short pieces of 4x4s I can use. I'll try lifting it from the center next time. I'm still worried that the wheels will not be in the same place vertically when I start lowering the jack.

My floor jack is a basic Craftsman one.

propellerhead

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Next

Return to Problems And Solutions