Rear shocks - advice

Suspension, brakes, chassis, subframe, more

Rear shocks - advice

Postby Northeast2016 - December 26th, 2016, 11:59 pm

Hi folks, looking to replace my 2011 escapes rear shocks in the future. Has about 80k on it now and has had hard driving on tough New England roads , city driving pot holes etc. I'm wondering I should stay with the motorcraft brand or look into something else . Nothing extreme, but maybe something that's similar to oem but with a more noticeable smoother ride? Any advice would be great. I'm hoping once I do this change , the knocking noise will go away every time I go over a bump on the back passenger side ;)
Northeast2016

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2011 Escape 2.5L

Re: Rear shocks - advice

Postby MTNEscaped - December 27th, 2016, 5:11 pm

Also need to do the same-following.
:popcorn:
2008 Ford Escape XLT 4WD
Plain Jane with K & N filter / Optima yellow top battery / Goodyear Gatorback serpentine belt / Sensen front struts
30+ years of ford parts that do me no good at all on MTNEscaped !
MTNEscaped

E-C LEVEL 3
My nickname: Mtnman
My vehicle: 2008 XLT Escape 4WD
My vehicle's name: MTNEscaped

Postby 14theRoad - December 28th, 2016, 12:48 pm

A lot of people including myself have installed KYB brand shocks/struts and are happy with them. Another brand that is gaining popularity is Sensen. I don't have any personal experience with that brand though.

Most, including myself have shied away from Gabriel and Monroe over the years. Their quality and value doesn't seem to be as good as it used to be.
14theRoad

E-C LEVEL 4

Postby DarthR8er - December 28th, 2016, 3:47 pm

I'm in the process of upgrading the struts & shocks of the Tribby myself. I purchased KYB instead of Motorcraft. I'll also be replacing the tie rods (Moog), control arms (Moog), and sway bar links (OEM) since everything will already be taken apart. I already have everything ready to go, just waiting to get some free time to start the installation.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
DarthR8er

E-C LEVEL 4
Congratulations on reaching 500 posts!
My vehicle: 2007 Ford Escape XLS

Postby Northeast2016 - December 28th, 2016, 4:03 pm

Thanks for the advice so far, good stuff. As far as installing the KYB shocks, is it as similar to installing the OEM ones? This will be my first time doing this. Just wondering if anything will throw me a curve ball as far as extra nuts and bolts goes. 2 more things...What are the advantages/disadvantages of gas shocks-Ok for a cold climate? And are they black in color? I wouldn't go for anything to bright lol. Thanks all.

NE :shades:
Northeast2016

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2011 Escape 2.5L

Postby DarthR8er - December 28th, 2016, 4:15 pm

Everything should go in the exact same way as the way it comes out. Just use extra caution when compressing the springs, unless you purchased struts that already come with new springs installed. As far as the advantages and disadvantages of gas shocks, I wouldn't have the slightest clue.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
DarthR8er

E-C LEVEL 4
Congratulations on reaching 500 posts!
My vehicle: 2007 Ford Escape XLS

Postby Escape94 - December 29th, 2016, 2:44 pm

KYB, Koni or Rancho would be a wise choice. There's at least 2 threads where the Rancho's have been installed. Those being the most heavy duty.

2011 Escape limited AWD V6 (301A) sterling gray metallic
Currently:
Hidden hitch tow hitch, OEM all weather floor mats, ESCAPE third brake light overlay, sport appearance headlamps, strut tower brace, Drag Wheels DR-33 rims, Mazda Tribute tail lights
Firestone Destination A/Ts P235/75/R16
Plastidip: smoked tail lights, gloss black shifter bezel, gloss black air vent trim
OEM black moulding (grille, bumper, hatch)
LEDs: front turn signals, front side markers, Morimoto XB LED fog lights, VLEDs V3 Triton Switchbacks
Hopefully some more to come in the future...(suggestions welcome :D)
Escape94

E-C LEVEL 8
My vehicle: 2011 Escape LTD V6 4x4

Postby underthetire - December 31st, 2016, 2:40 pm

I have kyb in the back and Sensen quick struts up front. The sensens seem OK, but I am now getting a groaning in cold weather from them. Lifetime warranty I need to see if they will honor. I've had sensens on my miata without any issues. I will say if you replace the rears with KYB you will soon do the front, I replaced the rears first and quickly realized now that the back was stiffer, it exaggerated the weak factory fronts.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
underthetire

E-C LEVEL 8
My vehicle: 2009 xlt sun and sync 2.5
My vehicle's name: Money saver

Postby AmericanPatriot76 - January 2nd, 2017, 4:08 am

I put about 5k miles on my Gabriel gas shocks before I gave the E back to my folks. They seemed to be of excellent quality. Install was easy and the ride quality improved greatly. Probably at about 7-8k now and the shocks seem to be holding up great. I'm just one experience with them though.
AmericanPatriot76

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2003 Ford Escape XLT 4x4 V6
My vehicle's name: "Speedy"

Postby Sevencycle - February 16th, 2017, 6:55 am

The last time I installed kyb's was in my 4runner. They were under extreme pressure and you had to make sure you were lined up, pull the string and the shaft shot rigbt up into the top mount. I would never buy Sensen. Chinese junk. Go w name brand quality stuff if you have the money.
G. Ripley
Sevencycle

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: '02 Tribute ES 4x4

Next

Return to Suspension Mods