Rusted/ rotted shock tower solution

Suspension, brakes, chassis, subframe, more

Rusted/ rotted shock tower solution

Postby Escape94 - August 27th, 2016, 10:52 am

So this is pretty nifty. Someone on the Ford Escape owners Facebook page posted this link to a potential solution to the dreaded 1st gen shock tower rotting problem. In fact he used it on his own escape. Said he also welded a bit to help it hold but the fact that there's a "kit fix" for this is pretty cool. Thoughts?? (Also sorry about the mobile link, can someone change the format please if needed :) )

http://m.ebay.com/itm/252424111294?_mwBanner=1

2011 Escape limited AWD V6 (301A) sterling gray metallic
Currently:
Hidden hitch tow hitch, OEM all weather floor mats, ESCAPE third brake light overlay, sport appearance headlamps, strut tower brace, Drag Wheels DR-33 rims, Mazda Tribute tail lights
Firestone Destination A/Ts P235/75/R16
Plastidip: smoked tail lights, gloss black shifter bezel, gloss black air vent trim
OEM black moulding (grille, bumper, hatch)
LEDs: front turn signals, front side markers, Morimoto XB LED fog lights, VLEDs V3 Triton Switchbacks
Hopefully some more to come in the future...(suggestions welcome :D)
Escape94

E-C LEVEL 8
My vehicle: 2011 Escape LTD V6 4x4

Re: Rusted/ rotted shock tower solution

Postby mozz - August 27th, 2016, 2:57 pm

I'm in the wrong business.
2003 Ford Mustang GT 4.6l 5 speed
2007 Ford Focus SE 2.0l 5 speed
2010 Ford Escape XLS 2.5l Fwd 5 speed
2012 Ford Fusion S 2.5l 6 speed
mozz

E-C LEVEL 6
Congratulations on reaching 1,000 posts!
My vehicle: 2010 XLS 2.5 Fwd Blue 5 speed

Postby Escape94 - August 27th, 2016, 4:18 pm

mozz wrote:I'm in the wrong business.

I hope they make decent money off that. That's ingenuity! Also soon what Ford has yet to do.

2011 Escape limited AWD V6 (301A) sterling gray metallic
Currently:
Hidden hitch tow hitch, OEM all weather floor mats, ESCAPE third brake light overlay, sport appearance headlamps, strut tower brace, Drag Wheels DR-33 rims, Mazda Tribute tail lights
Firestone Destination A/Ts P235/75/R16
Plastidip: smoked tail lights, gloss black shifter bezel, gloss black air vent trim
OEM black moulding (grille, bumper, hatch)
LEDs: front turn signals, front side markers, Morimoto XB LED fog lights, VLEDs V3 Triton Switchbacks
Hopefully some more to come in the future...(suggestions welcome :D)
Escape94

E-C LEVEL 8
My vehicle: 2011 Escape LTD V6 4x4

Postby Mike Dee - August 27th, 2016, 8:39 pm

I like that simple bracket idea, I had started making a more elaborate reinforcement but out of thinner angle iron. I got busy and only 1/3 completed it and havent returned. Mine has perforated but the actual shock mount is still very strong and will likely last several more years as it is now. I wanted to do it while its strong and not after something got weak or broke.

My concern is bolting the aluminum to steel and the accelerated corrosion that will occur unless theres a barrier, gasket or something.
Nice product and profit margin, but very easy for someone to get the idea and weld up a simple bracket themselves.
Mike Dee

E-C LEVEL 4
Congratulations on reaching 500 posts!

Postby Fast914 - January 2nd, 2017, 9:52 am

I was just about to replace rotors and pads and low and behold what did I find but the right rear shock about to break away from the body....Ugh! Glad you posted here as this does not appear to be that bad a job in the end.

Bit frustrating though to see the body issues for my escape. I am also a VW owner and I could not imagine these kinds of issues showing up on any of my previous VW's.

Much thanks though, Grant
Fast914

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Return to Suspension Mods