Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

What lift options are good for REAL offroading?

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  blamus 
#1 ·
I am looking to buy a 2010 mercury mariner hybrid. I know its no body on frame truck. But I know people lift these things and do quite well softroading within reason. So basically I'd like to make it as capable as possible. With that in mind, what options do I have? The only thing I have seen (from reading/searching the forums) is the 1" H&R springs. What about the OME 1.75" lift? Are there better options?

Are the suspension components the same in all escape years? and also with the hybrids? and the tributes and the mariners?

Also see here for more background information:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27054

#2 ·
Already posted this on your other thread but here it is again:

from 01-12 the suspension is largely the same with some minor changes for 08+. I believe the hybrids suspension system is a tad beefier to support the weight of the large battery pack. As far as suspension components go, search the forum there are many ways you can improve it. you can add Rancho shocks, Koni shocks and struts. For lifting the H&R 1" is pretty solid, there's a guy on here that has that. Old Man Emu is another option, I haven't heard anything bad about that. You can also get strut spacers, though I'd get 1.5" blocks. Over 2" will start to cause problems. If you go that route, I suggest getting rubber coil spring spacer to put in the rear. Rook he's a member on here, just recently did that. The last option is that there are two Taiwanese companies FTS4x4, and Giz4x4/ Top-r that make some stuff, I have heard of a few people using the Top-r lift with no issues. The escape is no jeep or x-terra, but for what it is, it can hold its own on trails. Wouldn't recommend trying to crawl over stuff or go through really deep stuff since the alternator hangs low in the engine bay. You may also consider getting a good set of all terrain tires. Good luck with your choice!

this may also be of interest to you:

#3 ·
Thank you for the response. I'll keep the suspension specific discussion here in this forum, and the general debates about the escape in the other thread.

I'd like to pick your brains on this if you dont mind:

from 01-12 the suspension is largely the same with some minor changes for 08+. I believe the hybrids suspension system is a tad beefier to support the weight of the large battery pack.
So that means why I see something that states 01-07 I can assume that it could most likely work for a 2010? like:

http://www.rocky-road.com/ford-escape-lift-kit.html

you can add Rancho shocks, Koni shocks and struts. For lifting the H&R 1" is pretty solid, there's a guy on here that has that. Old Man Emu is another option, I haven't heard anything bad about that. You can also get strut spacers, though I'd get 1.5" blocks. Over 2" will start to cause problems. If you go that route, I suggest getting rubber coil spring spacer to put in the rear. Rook he's a member on here, just recently did that. The last option is that there are two Taiwanese companies FTS4x4, and Giz4x4/ Top-r that make some stuff, I have heard of a few people using the Top-r lift with no issues.
I have very little knowledge on the specific suspension components you mentioned here, but I have searched around and read a bit on some of them. I'd like to pick a method that is most offroad capable as opposed to for show (i.e. not necessarily the tallest lift) and also tried and tested, proven to work well and reliable - while getting maximum clearance and wheel travel, without damaging anything. What would you recommend in this case? From what I have read, the OME seem to be the most popular and proven option. But it is only listed as compatible for 01-07. Do you know if people have had success putting OME on a 2010? If you were in my shoes, what would you do to your escape in terms of suspension?

#4 ·
You have to be careful when crossing 01-07 and 08+, theoretically yes it all would work out but there may be some margin of error. I think its on ebay where OME/ Rocky road shows an 08 escape with the OME lift kit on it. So Based on that Id say it should work. I saw in your other thread you have a friend who can custom fab stuff. That'll help for sure since the market for escape stuff is limited. But if youre determined and creative I'd say go for it. the video link I posted here I think does do the FEH some justce. Plus there are records from NYC Taxi companies showing FEHs with 300k+ miles on them. They last a long time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.