2wd off road capabilities

Escape to the great outdoors! Towing-related conversations are welcome here as well!

2wd off road capabilities

Postby spacegravity4me - December 3rd, 2016, 11:11 pm

Does the 2wd V6 XLT have ANY off road ability? Reason I'm asking is I'm planning on going camping in a national forest and I don't want to get stuck. I'd like to be able to go a little off the beaten path with the escape but I have NO idea what my 2wd can do, if anything. I wish it was a 4wd model I've seen plenty of videos of what they can do and it's not too shabby. I'm not looking to go mudding or anything, just down some dirt paths n such.
spacegravity4me

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Re: 2wd off road capabilities

Postby TributeLove - December 4th, 2016, 6:24 am

In a 2wd, it's not about the vehicle if you have to ask, it's about your skills and abilities and being able to take the correct line and know where to stop and start walking or turn back!
TributeLove

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!

Postby MTNEscaped - December 4th, 2016, 4:42 pm

I've personally seen 2WD toyota trucks in places that took swamp buggies to reach. I've always loved the "I've never been stuck" quote because it's a known fact that anyone can get anything stuck! Driving technique can go a long...ways, (coming from a 56 year old who has seen stuck so bad it took backhoes to dig it out the next day)! And yeah...that was my buddy's chebby trying to follow my early Bronco on 38's.
Learn a light foot will take you a long way-and sometimes you do need speed to keep the momentum of the vehicle going. :peace:
2008 Ford Escape XLT 4WD
Plain Jane with K & N filter / Optima yellow top battery / Goodyear Gatorback serpentine belt / Sensen front struts
30+ years of ford parts that do me no good at all on MTNEscaped !
MTNEscaped

E-C LEVEL 3
My nickname: Mtnman
My vehicle: 2008 XLT Escape 4WD
My vehicle's name: MTNEscaped

Postby HuntingEscape - December 8th, 2016, 8:47 am

not to mention a good set of tires lol
HuntingEscape

E-C LEVEL 1
My vehicle: White 2009 Escape XLT
My vehicle's name: Sid

Postby Half Assed - December 13th, 2016, 9:51 pm

spacegravity4me wrote:Does the 2wd V6 XLT have ANY off road ability? Reason I'm asking is I'm planning on going camping in a national forest and I don't want to get stuck. I'd like to be able to go a little off the beaten path with the escape but I have NO idea what my 2wd can do, if anything. I wish it was a 4wd model I've seen plenty of videos of what they can do and it's not too shabby. I'm not looking to go mudding or anything, just down some dirt paths n such.

Yes. You should be able to get far enough off the main tracks and get a decent campsite in a 2wd car.

Don't try to drive through any mud, but some mud will be okay if it has more sand in it than clay and it's shallow and small enough to get some speed to bounce right across it.

Avoid loose sand. Speed and lower tire pressures will help if you need to cross some, but it's really best to avoid it completely. Loose sand sucks more than mud. It took me 9 hours to dig out my escape from some sand.

Be aware of your ground clearance. The radiator and gas tank hangs pretty low. I dunno about the V6, but on the 2.3 the oil filter hangs very low. You don't want to crack the oil pan or tear off the filter. That will ruin your trip and possibly an engine, so be careful navigating rocks and stones and avoid deeper rutted trails. If you need to navigate a rock that you can't drive around, try to drive over it with the tire or very close to the inside of the tire. Driving or the middle of it puts it closer to the oil pan. Don't get high centered in a a deep rut. :lol:

Don't go down hill on anything loose or too steep, you won't get back up on the way out. Going uphill on the other hand is different, go ahead and try it. I doubt you get very far, but at least you will have gravity to help you on the way out. I drove over Ophir pass in Colorado in mine, no way I could have made it going the other direction. It was too loose on the other side of the mountain but I had gravity with me to bounce over some rocks and luckily I didn't have to travel back that way to get out.

Bring a good jack, good 3" tow straps, a come-along, extra water for the radiator and yourself, extra oil and transmission fluid, a small tool kit, tire plugs, a good spare...

Tires with good tread helps, but I wouldn't get a mud terrain or anything on a 2wd. That will get get you stuck worse than a set of road tires.

There are a bunch of pics in my thread if you want to see where I have taken my 2wd escape.
"Forget your lust for the rich man's gold,
all that you need is in your soul." -Lynyrd Skynyrd

Half Assed

E-C LEVEL 1
My vehicle: 05 Escape 2.3/5spd

Return to Off-Roading, Camping And Towing