Overland Anyone?

Escape to the great outdoors! Towing-related conversations are welcome here as well!

Overland Anyone?

Postby Drjames - November 28th, 2016, 12:48 pm

Just wondering if anyone on here considers themselves an "overlander" with their E. Been car camping for a while now but just starting to like the idea of off-road adventure travel with a rig built for it. Slowly making the E as capable as possible ie: camp kitchen,on-board water,sleep system...

Anyone have an overland Escape?
2001 Ford Escape budget adventure rig
Roof basket w/ diy bike racks and shovel mount
Aftermarket hitch and trailer lights
Blacked out grille,Headlight eyelids
Cargo management/Kitchen
AT tires
Stickers!
Drjames

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2001 Escape 4x4 xlt

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Overland Anyone?

Postby MadMax - November 28th, 2016, 6:28 pm

Define "overlander" :shrug:
2010 Escape XLT 3.0 V6 AWD, Sun and Sync. Mods: OEM Running boards modded with LED lighting and red accent. LED lighting lower bumper front and rear. Paramount Grille, LED DRLs and fog lights, Interior LED accents, Custom Mud Flaps, Body side and bumper moldings, Blackened fog light bezels and ESCAPE letters, Chrome wheel skins, Tail light guards, Chrome exhaust tip, Custom roof rack with Carbon Fiber and red accents, Strut Tower bar, K&N filter, AVS Vent Visors

Formerly: 2006 Mazda Tribute

"Because I can... and I did, sure won't do that again"
MadMax
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 19

Postby Escape94 - November 28th, 2016, 10:02 pm

MadMax wrote:Define "overlander" :shrug:

Generally speaking an outdoorsy person, goes way off the beaten path to camp/ hike/ explore etc...uses a vehicle for shelter, uses on mild off road areas to get to said remote area....that's how I'd define it.

Drjames wrote:Just wondering if anyone on here considers themselves an "overlander" with their E. Been car camping for a while now but just starting to like the idea of off-road adventure travel with a rig built for it. Slowly making the E as capable as possible ie: camp kitchen,on-board water,sleep system...

Anyone have an overland Escape?

I would LOVE to see this done. If you're on Instagram check out the build by Fozroamer. He's got that whole setup with a kitchen and related stuff. I say go for it!

2011 Escape limited AWD V6 (301A) sterling gray metallic
Currently:
Hidden hitch tow hitch, OEM all weather floor mats, ESCAPE third brake light overlay, sport appearance headlamps, strut tower brace, Drag Wheels DR-33 rims, Mazda Tribute tail lights
Firestone Destination A/Ts P235/75/R16
Plastidip: smoked tail lights, gloss black shifter bezel, gloss black air vent trim
OEM black moulding (grille, bumper, hatch)
LEDs: front turn signals, front side markers, Morimoto XB LED fog lights, VLEDs V3 Triton Switchbacks
Hopefully some more to come in the future...(suggestions welcome :D)
Escape94

E-C LEVEL 8
My vehicle: 2011 Escape LTD V6 4x4

Postby Drjames - November 28th, 2016, 11:06 pm

Overlanding is basically off road vehicle based adventure travel. Usually involving a platform vehicle built for off road (full skids,lockers,at tires,lift,on board air). When still having the comforts for living vehicle based for days,weeks ect. Most involve full slide out kitchens,dc powered fridges,some sort of sleep system, on board water and of coarse places for all your goodies and toys to entertain you!

But were still talking about the E....
Cargo management/Kitchen
AT tires
Stickers!
Drjames

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Drjames - November 28th, 2016, 11:14 pm

Escape94 I do follow fozroamer Aswell as many other overland builds/groups!

My plan is to outfit my E as much as possible on a tight budget. A beater budget! :thumb: Im content with the off road capability of the E for now. So next to come are DIY pressurized water system and on board air. Plus DIY storage/kitchen slide out already in the works.

Check out Overland Bound and Expedition Portal for more on the overland subject!
Cargo management/Kitchen
AT tires
Stickers!
Drjames

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Krohn - December 6th, 2016, 12:13 pm

I wouldn't consider Overlanding to necessarily be about the vehicle's capability and gear but more so about what you do and where you go with what you have.
Camping in, on, or next to for long stretches of time. Basically just going....
The wording "over the river and through the woods to [Barow, AK or Punta Arenas, Argentina or even Lake Powell, UT] we go".

Either in a brand new Sportsmobile, modified LC, or even a stock Ford Focus, Overlanding is about the journey and the experiences.

Half Assed's thread comes to mind when it comes to Overlanding.
http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=30661
2002 Ford Escape XLT 4WD V6 Auto (My Current)
245-70/16 Hankook Dyna-Pro ATM Tires, H&R 1" Lift Springs, KYB GR-2 Struts
Build: http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=30315

2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302 (My Previous, Traded 2016)
Recaros, Torsen Diff, MGW Shifter
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Wife's Current)
Auto, 4:10s, Navigation, Alpine 9-spkr System
Krohn

E-C LEVEL 2
My nickname: Nathan
My vehicle: 2002 Ford Escape XLT 4WD V6
My vehicle's name: Sydney

Postby Drjames - December 6th, 2016, 4:51 pm

I agree completely! Its the journey not the destination. Was just curious if anyone had really outfitted an E for more off road camping. That thread is awesome really shows that an E can be a great platform for a camping rig. :thumb:
Cargo management/Kitchen
AT tires
Stickers!
Drjames

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Krohn - December 6th, 2016, 5:33 pm

For sure... I've lifted mine a bit to give it just a little more clearance, especially with dogs and camping gear or even holiday traveling gear. lol

We haven't done much with it Overlanding or even just camping wise but nowadays, I wouldn't hesitate to take it on some weekend getaways (since I've performed about all the regular maintenance finally). We rented a Mazda CX-5 when we drove from Houston to Estes Park 2-years ago but that was back when the alternator, fuel pump, front suspension, and older fluids, were making me worried to put a 3,000-mile high altitude trip on her.

With the rear seats folded flat, it'd make for a capable weekend get-away vehicle.
2002 Ford Escape XLT 4WD V6 Auto (My Current)
245-70/16 Hankook Dyna-Pro ATM Tires, H&R 1" Lift Springs, KYB GR-2 Struts
Build: http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=30315

2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302 (My Previous, Traded 2016)
Recaros, Torsen Diff, MGW Shifter
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Wife's Current)
Auto, 4:10s, Navigation, Alpine 9-spkr System
Krohn

E-C LEVEL 2
My nickname: Nathan
My vehicle: 2002 Ford Escape XLT 4WD V6
My vehicle's name: Sydney

Postby Freedombird2k0 - January 13th, 2017, 1:48 am

Yes! :yahoo: Finally someone else looking to make their escape a budget friendly overlanding vehicle. I am in the process of decking mine out as we speak. My E is an original OG! 2001 XLS V6 4WD with 186,000+. I am in the process of rebuilding the tranny, adding an ARB Old Man Emu suspension, and some General Tire Grabber AT 2s to the rig. I'm actually looking at whether I should add a roof top tent or just putt a simple rack up there for gear. Right now I'm camping using a Ridgeline SUV tent. Any suggestions on adding a second battery system and lighting options? Haven't really made up my mind on those ideas yet.
Freedombird2k0

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My nickname: J
My vehicle: 2001 Ford Escape 3.0L XLS 4x4
My vehicle's name: Whip from Hell!!

Postby Drjames - January 13th, 2017, 8:46 pm

I think the weight of a RTT and all the gear on an E would mmake it handle like crap honestly. However with the upgraded suspension it could be a different story. As for a dual battery set up I say go for it! I think it could be one of the most functional mods that can be done to an expo rig. It really opens possibility's for fridges, on board air, more lights and all the gadgets.
Im slowly realizing that my '01 is getting toward the end of her life so ill be lightly outfitting it on the cheap for the next year or two. Then really going for an overland daily driver with the next vehicle.
Cargo management/Kitchen
AT tires
Stickers!
Drjames

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Next