Skid Plates for Ford Escape

Escape to the great outdoors! Towing-related conversations are welcome here as well!

Re: Skid Plates for Ford Escape

Postby AusEscape - October 16th, 2016, 6:10 am

fugitive wrote:
http://www.fts4x4.com/en/products/?method=detail&aid=37

That link is worth checking out.
They also sell snorkels, lift kits, and these cool rear control arms with a bend to give more clearance.
Along with the skids.
I sent a msg about the skids so will see if they are still in business.

Those rear arms are very tempting. They look strong and the upward curve would enlarge the ground clearance "sweet spot".

When I initially asked FTS about skid plates I used the "contact us" link. I don't know where those messages go, but a month later... nothing. I think I later tried the "inquiry" link and finally received a reply.

They replied to me using fts.fts@msa.hinet.net this address is also now located at the bottom of their web page. My advice is to skip the "contact us" or "inquiry" options and just use their email address.

If you they contact you back, see how much those sweet rear control arms sell for. I can already picture them on the back of my escape. :)P

I was looking under my car the other day wondering why the rear control arms don't have a bend in them and boom here they are.
AusEscape

E-C LEVEL 2
My vehicle: 2005 Ford Escape XLS 4x4 2.3L

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Postby AmericanPatriot76 - October 16th, 2016, 1:37 pm

AusEscape wrote:
fugitive wrote:

They also sell snorkels, lift kits, and these cool rear control arms with a bend to give more clearance.
Along with the skids.

Those rear arms are very tempting. They look strong and the upward curve would enlarge the ground clearance "sweet spot".

When I initially asked FTS about skid plates I used the "contact us" link. I don't know where those messages go, but a month later... nothing. I think I later tried the "inquiry" link and finally received a reply.

They replied to me using fts.fts@msa.hinet.net this address is also now located at the bottom of their web page. My advice is to skip the "contact us" or "inquiry" options and just use their email address.

If you they contact you back, see how much those sweet rear control arms sell for. I can already picture them on the back of my escape. :)P

I was looking under my car the other day wondering why the rear control arms don't have a bend in them and boom here they are.

I sent them an inquiry in September. The replied the same day. The first price is for the skid and the second (FEP901) is for the control arms.

"Hi, Sir,

Thanks for your email.
The quotation as below for your reference.
FEP81 USD226
FEP901 USD236
Shipping : via TNT to US USD187
Total amount: USD649
Transit days: 11
Carton size: 92*56*14cm / G.W.:16.5kgs
64*19*6cm / G.W.:6kgs
Pls confirm.

Best Regards
Windsor Huang / Cindy Lee
Futaishin Enterprise Co., Ltd. "
AmericanPatriot76

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2003 Ford Escape XLT 4x4 V6
My vehicle's name: "Speedy"

Postby fugitive - October 16th, 2016, 2:21 pm

I sent them an inquiry in September. The replied the same day. The first price is for the skid and the second (FEP901) is for the control arms.

"Hi, Sir,

Thanks for your email.
The quotation as below for your reference.
FEP81 USD226
FEP901 USD236
Shipping : via TNT to US USD187
Total amount: USD649
Transit days: 11
Carton size: 92*56*14cm / G.W.:16.5kgs
64*19*6cm / G.W.:6kgs
Pls confirm.

AP76, Thanks for posting that info.

When I ordered the skids, the shipping was steep, but I was surprised how fast the package arrived. I have no regrets on the purchase. It provides some nice protection to the oil sump and transmission as well as generally keeping flotsam and jetsam out of my engine bay.

The control arms are a bit more expansive than I was hoping, but there are no other options. All the rear control arms I have found on the web are straight. You want more ground clearance down the middle, it's FTS or nothing.

Cheers, TR
fugitive

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2005 Ford Escape 4WD

Postby fugitive - October 16th, 2016, 2:50 pm

I was digging around EC and found a post about control arms that also talks about the FTS skid plate and has some excellent pics of the install.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=28535&start=10

There are a couple of good pics showing the fork/slot on the front of the mounting bars. It just comes up a bit short of being properly secured by the mounting bolts. The poster used some standard sized washers that help secure the bars, but I wanted more. I used larger diameter washers and doubled them up to be absolutely sure the mounting bars don't pop out if I strike something with the front of the skid plate.

The poster "Bender" also talks about the mounting of the skid plate.

Most of the weigh is held up but the back but little bolts at the front basically prop it up so to speak. (emphasis mine)

I take this to mean the bolts at the front of the (rear) plate, carry the entire load. My guess is the steel plate (#3) is solely there to reinforce the back of the skid. There are several good pics of the rear of the skid that seem to confirm the rear of the skid is not secured to the chassis, by design.

I like this skid plate, but the back just hangin' loose doesn't cut it for me. If I were to backup over an obstruction, the rear of the skid could flop down and get folded or even ripped off. :fan:

It appears you can install the skid, as is, and call it done. If you want to properly secure the back of the skid, weld two nuts, drill two holes in the skid, and secure the rear with two bolts. Glad I bolted mine down.

Well, I no longer feel so confused about how to bolt up the rear of the skid. But, glad I did a simple mod to secure the entirety of the skid. :rockon:

Cheers, TR
fugitive

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby AusEscape - October 17th, 2016, 3:49 am

fugitive wrote:I was digging around EC and found a post about control arms that also talks about the FTS skid plate and has some excellent pics of the install.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=28535&start=10

There are a couple of good pics showing the fork/slot on the front of the mounting bars. It just comes up a bit short of being properly secured by the mounting bolts. The poster used some standard sized washers that help secure the bars, but I wanted more. I used larger diameter washers and doubled them up to be absolutely sure the mounting bars don't pop out if I strike something with the front of the skid plate.

The poster "Bender" also talks about the mounting of the skid plate.

Most of the weigh is held up but the back but little bolts at the front basically prop it up so to speak. (emphasis mine)

I take this to mean the bolts at the front of the (rear) plate, carry the entire load. My guess is the steel plate (#3) is solely there to reinforce the back of the skid. There are several good pics of the rear of the skid that seem to confirm the rear of the skid is not secured to the chassis, by design.

I like this skid plate, but the back just hangin' loose doesn't cut it for me. If I were to backup over an obstruction, the rear of the skid could flop down and get folded or even ripped off. :fan:

It appears you can install the skid, as is, and call it done. If you want to properly secure the back of the skid, weld two nuts, drill two holes in the skid, and secure the rear with two bolts. Glad I bolted mine down.

Well, I no longer feel so confused about how to bolt up the rear of the skid. But, glad I did a simple mod to secure the entirety of the skid. :rockon:

Cheers, TR

Good digging.
AusEscape

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby Escape94 - October 17th, 2016, 5:33 pm

Glad you guys dug up that old thread. Between that and this thread that answers the questions I've had about FTS. It's a shame it's really the only commercial skid plate available. But! At least it'll work on our escapes if you can swallow that price. Same logic for the control arms.

2011 Escape limited AWD V6 (301A) sterling gray metallic
Currently:
Hidden hitch tow hitch, OEM all weather floor mats, ESCAPE third brake light overlay, sport appearance headlamps, strut tower brace, Drag Wheels DR-33 rims, Mazda Tribute tail lights
Firestone Destination A/Ts P235/75/R16
Plastidip: smoked tail lights, gloss black shifter bezel, gloss black air vent trim
OEM black moulding (grille, bumper, hatch)
LEDs: front turn signals, front side markers, Morimoto XB LED fog lights, VLEDs V3 Triton Switchbacks
Hopefully some more to come in the future...(suggestions welcome :D)
Escape94

E-C LEVEL 8
My vehicle: 2011 Escape LTD V6 4x4

Postby AusEscape - October 19th, 2016, 6:07 pm

Everytime I drive behind an Escape the idea of the red curved control arms looks better.
I have to enquire it might be cheaper to ship to Aus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AusEscape

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby fugitive - October 19th, 2016, 9:12 pm

AusEscape wrote:Everytime I drive behind an Escape the idea of the red curved control arms looks better. I have to enquire it might be cheaper to ship to Aus.

AusE,

Resistance is futile! You know you want them. :thumb:

Buy 'em, mount them up, post a thread, and lots of pics! :rockon:

I'm pretty much in full drool mode over these control arms. :drool:

I've got too much going on right now to do this, but would love to live vicariously through you.

I pulled the trigger on the skids, your turn to test out the arms. ;)

TR
fugitive

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Skid Plates for Ford Escape

Postby AusEscape - October 19th, 2016, 9:57 pm

Lol.
You've convinced me I will do it. Maybe.
Well I will look into it a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AusEscape

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby AusEscape - October 23rd, 2016, 1:43 am

fugitive wrote:

Along with the skids.

Hey.
I sent a msg about control arms to the fts.fts@msa.hinet.net and got a weird msg back saying "Could not send" with a whole lot of jargon.
Will wait till Monday to see if it got somewhere.
AusEscape

E-C LEVEL 2

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Roading, Camping And Towing