Recovery Points

Escape to the great outdoors! Towing-related conversations are welcome here as well!

Recovery Points

Postby AmericanPatriot76 - September 30th, 2016, 6:09 pm

Does anyone know of or have aftermarket hooks mounted in place of the factory loops on their E? I went to test the stock recovery points on my E the other day, and the passenger side loop bent very easily. I would like to get some heavier duty recovery hooks for the front if there are any that fit.
AmericanPatriot76

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2003 Ford Escape XLT 4x4 V6
My vehicle's name: "Speedy"

Re: Recovery Points

Postby Linna - September 30th, 2016, 9:00 pm

Might have to go with a front mount tow hitch receiver for maximum strength. This might be able to double as a mount for a winch.
Linna

E-C LEVEL 6
My vehicle: 2007 Ford Escape 4WD

Postby fugitive - October 14th, 2016, 3:07 pm

On my 2005 Escape the single rear tie down seems fairly robust for light recovery.

For greater strength, I also have a trailer hitch which has two solid points for towing chain attachment.
The receiver can also be used as a recovery point.

The 2 front tie down points would probably be OK for pulling on flat ground, but are a bit flimsy for recovery. I would not consider recovery from a single front tie down.

To use the front tie downs for recovery I would share the load between both locations using a bridal.
I picked up two smaller shackles and a 2"x20' tow strap. I run one end of the strap through a shackle and attach to left tie down. I take the other end of the tow strap and run it through the loop of the recovery strap (that comes from the recovery vehicle). I then run my tow strap through the second shackle and attach to the right tie down. This effectively creates a bridal that shares the load between both front tie downs.

I have not tested this bridal setup, so cannot vouch for its efficacy. But it does provide a better option for pulling and should be OK for light recovery.

I am looking at other options for the front end.

1) use a heavy steel "L" bracket bolted next to the front tie downs to reinforce them. Cut hole in L bracket to match hole in tie down. Use grade 8 hardware and large washers/plate on rear to prevent pull-through.

2) Cut off existing front tie downs and bolt on a standard 4 bolt recovery point. Use grade 8 bolts/nuts, and a large plate/washers on the rear to prevent pull through.

I think both these options would improve front recovery viability, but still may result in some localized bending of the metal near the recovery point, as we do not have a steel frame to bolt to.

I don't play in mud, so I don't need ultimate recovery point strength. For sand, I have a shovel and recovery boards, so if some recovery assistance is still needed, I should be OK.

Cheers, TR
fugitive

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2005 Ford Escape 4WD

Postby AmericanPatriot76 - October 14th, 2016, 7:23 pm

fugitive wrote:On my 2005 Escape the single rear tie down seems fairly robust for light recovery.

For greater strength, I also have a trailer hitch which has two solid points for towing chain attachment.
The receiver can also be used as a recovery point.

The 2 front tie down points would probably be OK for pulling on flat ground, but are a bit flimsy for recovery. I would not consider recovery from a single front tie down.

To use the front tie downs for recovery I would share the load between both locations using a bridal.
I picked up two smaller shackles and a 2"x20' tow strap. I run one end of the strap through a shackle and attach to left tie down. I take the other end of the tow strap and run it through the loop of the recovery strap (that comes from the recovery vehicle). I then run my tow strap through the second shackle and attach to the right tie down. This effectively creates a bridal that shares the load between both front tie downs.

I have not tested this bridal setup, so cannot vouch for its efficacy. But it does provide a better option for pulling and should be OK for light recovery.

I am looking at other options for the front end.

1) use a heavy steel "L" bracket bolted next to the front tie downs to reinforce them. Cut hole in L bracket to match hole in tie down. Use grade 8 hardware and large washers/plate on rear to prevent pull-through.

2) Cut off existing front tie downs and bolt on a standard 4 bolt recovery point. Use grade 8 bolts/nuts, and a large plate/washers on the rear to prevent pull through.

I think both these options would improve front recovery viability, but still may result in some localized bending of the metal near the recovery point, as we do not have a steel frame to bolt to.

I don't play in mud, so I don't need ultimate recovery point strength. For sand, I have a shovel and recovery boards, so if some recovery assistance is still needed, I should be OK.

Cheers, TR

The standard points are definitely not suitable for any kind of recovery. Mine have already bent from a light testing. And ive noticed with other vehicles that got stuck on the dunes, that having front recovery points is crucial because of having to be pulled up and out of sand pits etc. I don't plan on getting stuck, as the E is very good on sand, but if I did, I'd like the option for recovery.
AmericanPatriot76

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby fugitive - October 14th, 2016, 8:27 pm

The standard points are definitely not suitable for any kind of recovery. Mine have already bent from a light testing. And ive noticed with other vehicles that got stuck on the dunes, that having front recovery points is crucial because of having to be pulled up and out of sand pits etc. I don't plan on getting stuck, as the E is very good on sand, but if I did, I'd like the option for recovery.

Good info! Looks like it's time to bolt on some of these bad boys!!!

fugitive

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2005 Ford Escape 4WD

Postby AmericanPatriot76 - October 14th, 2016, 9:46 pm

fugitive wrote:

Good info! Looks like it's time to bolt on some of these bad boys!!!

Those look perfect! Guess ill have to figure out a way to mount something like that.
AmericanPatriot76

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby rcmark - November 6th, 2016, 10:57 pm

It is there(on the 2017), you just have to drill the hole!

2017 Escape SE 2.0 AWD
rcmark

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2017 Escape SE 2.0 AWD

Return to Off-Roading, Camping And Towing