Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

A few quick roadtrip mods

5K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Lord Velveeta 
#1 ·
Heading to Colorado next week to meet up with friends for a "Dark Skies" astronomy weekend. Closest motels are a good 20 mins drive away so we'll all be camping on site. I decided I want to sleep in my Escape so I'll set up as a 1 person "camper". A small mattress in the back, nylon tarp and poles to make a lean-to behind the back door, and those little mod:

Magnetic bug screens for the rear window and one side window to have some good bug free ventilation at night.

And black foam core panels to "black out" all the windows for privacy

I'll still bring a small tent just in case, but I like the simplicity of this set-up and hope I won't need to pitch it.

Pat

See less See more
#4 ·
Awesome indeed!

#5 ·
Having slept in my Escape several times, I appreciate these clever pieces. Not as elegant, but a door window or rear hatch screen can be made simply by lowering a window or opening the glass hatch, draping bug netting over the door or hatch frame, and closing the door against the netting. But it's a hassle if you use the door.

Keeping cool and bugs out wasn't a problem for me. The problem was keeping warm as it went below freezing.

How do you arrange the cargo and rear seat area for sleeping?

#6 ·
Thanks Kurochan, MadMax & Charles!

Thanks feh2goup, the front passenger seat moved all the way up, rear right seat removed, rear seatbacks lowered flat. Thermarest camping mattress + sleeping bag on the passenger side. All my junk on the drivers side. I'll take some pics next weekend and post them here.

Pat

#7 ·
Well, I'm back home and had a really great 13 days road trip. I went to Colorado, New-Mexico, Utah and obviously everything between there and Montreal.

Here is my Camping setup for the few days I spent at the "Colorado Springs Astronomical Society" wilderness dark site for a real cool astronomy weekend.

It was super comfortable and very easy to set up. I preferred it to having to set up my tent and then schlepping a wet tent in my trunk.

Pat

#8 ·
Escape the Ordinary indeed!

#13 ·
feh2goup said:
Keeping cool and bugs out wasn't a problem for me. The problem was keeping warm as it went below freezing.
Would a Little Buddy Propane heater work? I have seen people use them in Vans and I bought one for my suburban (haven't had to use it yet though, but those spaces are bigger. Wonder if you could post it up on your arm rest up front and heat the cab.

Mark

Mr. Heater Little Buddy Indoor/Outdoor Propane Heater

[mod]Edited post to add a description to the Internet link. - Charles[/mod]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.