OBX drive on beach

Escape to the great outdoors! Towing-related conversations are welcome here as well!

OBX drive on beach

Postby The08Merc - January 21st, 2017, 1:17 am

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with an '08 Mariner/Escape on the OBX drive on beaches, I'll be headed there in the summer and I was curious how it would do with ground clearance and the intelligent 4wd. Is it safe or should I ride with someone else? Anyone with personal experience? I drive a 4wd 2008 Mercury Mariner premier v6
The08Merc

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2008 Mercury Mariner 3.0 V6
My vehicle's name: Lux

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: OBX drive on beach

Postby AusEscape - January 21st, 2017, 6:43 am

The08Merc wrote:I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with an '08 Mariner/Escape on the OBX drive on beaches, I'll be headed there in the summer and I was curious how it would do with ground clearance and the intelligent 4wd. Is it safe or should I ride with someone else? Anyone with personal experience? I drive a 4wd 2008 Mercury Mariner premier v6

My is an 05 but the most important thing with sand is right tyre pressure and momentum.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk
AusEscape

E-C LEVEL 2
My vehicle: 2005 Ford Escape XLS 4x4 2.3L

Postby TheFutur - January 23rd, 2017, 3:52 am

What AusEscape said. Drop your tire pressure (remember to drive accordingly, no quick turns!) and keep your momentum up. I drove my 2002 4x4 v6 through the carcross desert in the Yukon Territory towing a 1,000 pound trailer and had no issues in the sand. Tire pressures were 20/20 and the trailer was 20.

2002 Ford Escape XLT V6 4x4 - SOLD!
2001 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0L 8.8 rear w/ 4.10 gears - Current
Tow Rig - Home Built camping trailer, Tepui Kukenam Roof Top Tent, ARB Touring 2500 Awning - To Do - Install water tanks for extended trips
TheFutur

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!
My nickname: TheFutur
My vehicle: 2001 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0L 4x4
My vehicle's name: Cott

Postby fugitive - January 24th, 2017, 4:09 pm

I've been on Pismo Beach and Oceano dunes with my 2005.

I was doing better than most of the decked out jeeps. The light weight of the Escape works in your favor on sand.

Flotation (lower tire pressure) and momentum are your friends. I kept it in 1st or 2nd gear most of the time to keep the rpm's in the power band. If I needed extra power, it was ready to go.

Take the pressure down to 20psi and see how you do. If you need more flotation, go lower.
I have run down to 16psi with success.

It's best if you go with more than one vehicle, and have a snatch strap (not a tow strap). If you go alone, bring a shovel, some kind of sand board/ladder, and watch a few youtube videos on getting out of sand. Use your head when you drive and you should be fine.

Bring a portable air compressor or hit a gas station near the sand to air back up before getting back on the highway.

Have fun!!! TR

fugitive

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby zibercat - April 5th, 2017, 11:03 am

I drove my escape (08, 4wd, 6 cyl) on the beaches of Fenwick Island in Delaware a couple of times, getting to the beach, around the beach and back into the road it was fun.
2008 Escape V6 4WD XLT
Kenwood DDX719 with Wireless Backup Camera
KYB shocks and struts
zibercat

E-C LEVEL 4
Congratulations on reaching 500 posts!
My nickname: Zibercat
My vehicle: 08 Ford Escape XLT 4WD V6
My vehicle's name: Elvis

Postby Escape94 - April 5th, 2017, 4:00 pm

zibercat wrote:I drove my escape (08, 4wd, 6 cyl) on the beaches of Fenwick Island in Delaware a couple of times, getting to the beach, around the beach and back into the road it was fun.

I never knew that was allowed. I knew you could on nearby assateaque

2011 Escape limited AWD V6 (301A) sterling gray metallic
Currently:
Hidden hitch tow hitch, OEM all weather floor mats, ESCAPE third brake light overlay, sport appearance headlamps, strut tower brace, Drag Wheels DR-33 rims, Mazda Tribute tail lights
Firestone Destination A/Ts P235/75/R16
Plastidip: smoked tail lights, gloss black shifter bezel, gloss black air vent trim
OEM black moulding (grille, bumper, hatch)
LEDs: front turn signals, front side markers, Morimoto XB LED fog lights, VLEDs V3 Triton Switchbacks, OPT 7 auxiliary pods
R.I.P 6/15/2017 :(
Escape94

E-C LEVEL 8
My vehicle: 2011 Escape LTD V6 4x4

Postby The08Merc - June 21st, 2017, 6:51 pm

For anyone wondering the Mariner/Escape does amazing on the sand. For anyone considering driving in sand, do it. Just air down to 20 and keep it in low gear, only trouble had is deep ruts but with a little gas, she got thru. 8-) still got another day of fun down in OBX too. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
The08Merc

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2008 Mercury Mariner 3.0 V6
My vehicle's name: Lux

Return to Off-Roading, Camping And Towing