Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

New from Michigan

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  tigers486 
#1 ·
Hi all. Just bought a 2012 Escape V6 AWD so I figured I would join the forum. Its a great SUV. I had a 2007 Jeep Liberty in the past and I like the Escape a lot more. The only thing I need to address with the Escape is a rough whirring sound coming from either the rear or the drive shaft when going 35+mph. I haven't looked yet, but if anyone has tips or ideas before I take a look, let me know. I read somewhere that the U-joints or center support bearing in the drive shaft could be suspects and that they are serviceable even though Ford says you need a whole new drive shaft.

My most recent car was a 2013 Chevy Sonic RS. Fun car, but getting too small with two kids. I'm into cars quite a bit, so I also attached a picture of my 1931 Ford Model A.

#5 ·
Welcome, I'm no longer the new kid on the block!!!

I just went through a noisy U-Joint with my CR-V. Sounds the same in that Honda said the only way to fix it was to replace the entire "propellor shaft" as they call it. But, there's third-party manufacturers who make replacement U-joints. I found one of them for thirty bucks and my mechanic was able to remove the bad one and install the replacement. He said it was a pain in the butt, but he got it done. There's some yootoobs out there if you want to try it yourself....

#6 ·
Thanks for the welcome everyone. Yea, I need to check into the driveshaft to make sure its the culprit. Does anyone know how much play the driveshaft should have at the center support bearing? I grabbed the driveshaft there and shook it today and it moves quite a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.