switching off interior lamps with rear hatch open

Please pull up a barcalounger and introduce yourself! We also love pictures!

switching off interior lamps with rear hatch open

Postby taerondo - October 11th, 2016, 12:00 am

I recently bought a 2016 Escape, read the manuals, asked the dealer no help. I want to be able to leave the rear hatch open without having the domes on. Is there a magic hidden switch?

taerondo

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Re: switching off interior lamps with rear hatch open

Postby Charles - October 11th, 2016, 8:02 am

Welcome to the City!!! Glad you joined us!!! :wave:

Not sure on your question. :? I looked in the electronic version of the owner manual and can't find anything where you can switch off the interior lighting. :shrug:
Image Image

Present vehicles
2016 Escape Titanium FWD, Shadow Black, Equipment Pkg 301A, Titanium Technology Package with HID Auto Headlamps, BLIS, Active Park Assist, 2.0L EcoBoost, Panoramic Vista Roof, SYNC3 with Navigation, 19" wheels

2012 Buick Verano Leather Group - Black Onyx - Sunroof, Navigation, Premium Exterior Package, WeatherTech DigitalFit liners (1st & 2nd Row)
Charles
Super Moderator and Supreme Overlord of Web Darkness

E-C LEVEL 21
My nickname: Charles
My vehicle: 2016 Escape Titanium FWD 2.0L
My vehicle's name: Shadow

Postby AmericanPride - October 11th, 2016, 10:38 am

I've never heard of that being an option, you could always rewire it though. Not that bad
AmericanPride

E-C LEVEL 7

Postby taerondo - October 11th, 2016, 12:24 pm

I want to be able to leave the rear hatch open without draining batteries.
taerondo

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby bluto - October 11th, 2016, 10:27 pm

On a '01-'12, I know for sure the you can press the latch mechanism closed on the glass and the gate with your finger or a screwdriver and thus close the switch that turns off the lights. You have to 'open' the latch again before closing the glass or gate. Might be worth a try on a 13+.
bluto

E-C LEVEL 3
Congratulations on reaching 250 posts!
My vehicle: Mazda Tribute 2002 ES-V6 4WD

Postby raysfan - October 12th, 2016, 10:50 am

For 2008-2012 You could disable all interior lights by (verbatim from owner's manual):
PANEL DIMMER CONTROL
Rotate to the full down position (past the detent) to prevent interior lamps from illuminating when the doors are opened.

For 2013-2016, it seems this feature has been eliminated. I often rent 3rd generation Escapes but have not had a 2016 or newer yet. On the '13-14 there was a button you could press at the lamp itself to put the dome light in the "off" setting. I found the operation of these lights to be confusing. When I turned them back on, I didn't know if they were in ON all the time or in On with door open or on because of staying on for a delay when door closed. I think these were done away with in '14.

Looking through pages 74-76 of the second printing of the 2016 owner's manual, it seems this has been eliminated. Verbatim from the owner's manual:
INTERIOR LAMPS
The lamps will switch on when: You open any door

Rear Interior Lamp (if equipped)
You can swithch individual map lamps on independently by pressing swith A.

Nothing in the '16 manual about turning the lights off. Bummer, 'cause this is a feature I use all the time!

Gone is the switch B on the lamp from the 13-14 which was off postion :(
raysfan

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!

Postby raysfan - October 12th, 2016, 5:06 pm

Been thinking about why Ford may have dropped the abiltiy to turn off the interior lights. The reasoning may be:
1) The lights are LEDs and use very little power - no significant drain on battery
2) Battery Saver feature. On page 58 of the owners manual (2nd printing) - "If you leave the courtesy lamps or dome lamps on and switch the ignition off, then the battery saver shuts them off after some time"

You can try and see how long they stay on with the tailgate open until they shut themselves off. It would be nice if the manual specified the amount of time instead (for instance after 10 minutes) instead of the vague period it refers to.
raysfan

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby SNJEscape - December 18th, 2016, 4:32 pm

Welcome to EC.
2000 Ranger XLT 4X4 Extd Cab 4.0L (My DD)Mods; bug shield, vent visors, bed rails, throttle cable, Mustang dome light, Expl OHC, Expl lighted visors, Expl radio trim panel, Ranger logo floor mats, 4.0 Emblems, 06 Mirrors, 01 F/E swap, lights behind the grille, step bars, color matched bumpers, Lund cab visor, tailgate light bar, yellow fog light bulbs, & powerdome hood.
2008 Escape XLT 4X4 2.3L Mods; Remote start, bug shield, vent visors, Explorer cargo area protector, Husky stickers, & yellow fog light bulbs.
1969 Mustang Coupe (Project & future toy)
2002 Honda shadow VT750 (Wifes toy)
1999 Explorer Sport 4X4, 4.0 SOHC, (Wife's DD) Vent visors, Bug Shield, & Grille Guard.
SNJEscape

E-C LEVEL 6
My nickname: Mike
My vehicle: 2008 Escape 4X4 XLT

Postby TributeLove - December 19th, 2016, 7:24 pm

Some people like to be in stealth mode when it's dark. There are many snipers out there.

Try pressing the lamp cover itself. If no luck, remove the globe.
TributeLove

E-C LEVEL 2

Return to Introducing <insert name>!!!