Geartist (TM) GTS8500B Car Parking Sensor Kit w/pics!

Share your product reviews here!
Forum rules
Product reviews are provided for your enjoyment. These reviews reflect the opinions of members who have used these products and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Escape City. This forum is not intended for sales. Posts deemed to be sales-oriented are subject to removal by moderators of Escape City. Thank you for your understanding!

Geartist (TM) GTS8500B Car Parking Sensor Kit w/pics!

Postby Squirrel - February 8th, 2016, 4:36 pm

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U ... ge_o03_s00

Fun and inexpensive mod is to install a backup sensor. I got the above and have had it installed (easy) for several days now. I like it. It is not factory quality but it is pretty darn nice and the best part is it works well*!

[*These sensors need to be mounted higher than factory ones. At least the ones on our Freestyle are at the bottom of the bumper]

After installing and (gulp) drilling holes in my bumper cover (and of course, 1 hole is a tad lower than the one next to it...yes, I measured and marked but obviously incorrectly) and committing myself to the project, whenever I put it in reverse it beeped. Couldn't figure out what the problem was. Figured it out today, the 2 center sensors are too close to the ground. If I turn the actual sensor itself, it still beeps because it (the bumper cover) is curved and the sensors pick it up. :wall: (EDIT-after further testing, it seems I have 2 defective sensors after all. I will update with the result of any customer service I am provided with.)

The sensors themselves are held in the hole by friction rubber pieces. They blow. They need something better. As is, they stay in well enough, but work their way out with changing temps as evidenced today in the direct sun. Annoying is being polite in my description. To mount permanently will require some type of adhesive. I will adhesive mine when I decide on what to use. As of right now it seems I have messed with them enough (once inserted, I twist/turn them a hair to 'lock' them in even though there is no 'locking' going on at all.) that they are staying in pretty well.

Since I have removed the 2 defective sensors from the system (just unplugged them) the two outer most sensors are working VERY well. I really couldn't be more pleased with the system. The camera takes care of the center anyway, the outer two are to help detect what the camera doesn't see/show on those corners. As such, the system works brilliantly. I really recommend this inexpensive mod. Just use more care thatn I did, on your 2 center sensor placement locations and where you drill. The problem is the bumper itself is right there and it makes it challenging.

I mounted the module via 2 way tape to the rear 'firewall' (for lack of a better term) and ran all wires thru a rubber plug in the spare tire well. Same one I used to pull the power/video cable thru from the camera.

The speaker I mounted in the rear right cubby by the hatch. Popped a 3/8 hole, shaved the corners of the speaker plug so it fit, and fed the wire behind the panel and to the module. The 'speaker' (really a piezo buzzer) has a 3 position switch that has OFF, LOW and HIGH volume functions. The switch is not labeled.

And it doesn't look too shabby, either. :)P

Last edited by Squirrel on February 18th, 2016, 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
'04 Escape XLT | V-6 | FWD | Factory Bug Shield | Boss Audio BV9384NV double din touchscreen w/NAV | Esky EC170-08 High Definition Color CMOS Waterproof Car Backup Camera | Geartist GTS8500b Reverse Backup Radar Sound Alert | CIPA 36400 Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror with Compass and Temperature | carfieldenterprise.com Strut Tower Brace
Squirrel

E-C LEVEL 4
My nickname: Squirrel!
My vehicle: 2004 XLT FWD; 2006 FEH AWD
My vehicle's name: Wannabe Bronco; Ghost

Re: Geartist (TM) GTS8500B Car Parking Sensor Kit

Postby escape_ottawa - February 9th, 2016, 1:17 am

I like it!

looking forward to hear what customer service says, I've had nothing but good service through Amazon myself.
2010 Ford Escape XLT V6 4WD - Steel Blue Metallic
Winter Package | Husky Liners | Modded Boat Roller | Hood Deflector
So really no mods
escape_ottawa

E-C LEVEL 2
Congratulations on reaching 100 posts!
My vehicle: 2010 Escape XLT 3.0 V6 4WD

Postby Squirrel - February 10th, 2016, 12:26 am

Works GREAT!!! We had a decent snowfall last nite and today the roads were a mess as one would think they would be. Well, because of all the slush , the spray from the tires gets all over the camera lens so when backing up, the reverse camera is difficult at best to see out of. While backing out of a parking space where some guy parked directly behind me, I was able to maneuver out of my spot by using the tones (beeping) of this backup sensor unit. Worked FABULOUSLY!!! I was able to confidently backup without being able to see or hit anything behind or next to me!

Without a doubt, a recommended buy. :yes: (still need to contact the seller (Amazon) about replacement of the 2 bad sensors)
'04 Escape XLT | V-6 | FWD | Factory Bug Shield | Boss Audio BV9384NV double din touchscreen w/NAV | Esky EC170-08 High Definition Color CMOS Waterproof Car Backup Camera | Geartist GTS8500b Reverse Backup Radar Sound Alert | CIPA 36400 Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror with Compass and Temperature | carfieldenterprise.com Strut Tower Brace
Squirrel

E-C LEVEL 4

Postby Squirrel - February 13th, 2016, 8:41 pm

New sensors on their way... :)P

LUV this thing! My daughter is getting ready to get her license and practicing the maneuverability and this was spot on detecting the pylons. :yahoo:

Now just waiting to try the longevity of the product. But as is, I see no reason for it to not hold up. Works great in the snow even. :thumb:
Squirrel

E-C LEVEL 4

Re: Geartist (TM) GTS8500B Car Parking Sensor Kit w/pics!

Postby Kurochan - June 24th, 2016, 10:27 am

Loved your review of this product, here and on Amazon, too.

Decided to buy it as it looks like it will be a good, affordable and not too difficult project to add to my Escape.
2010 Escape XLT FWD Duratec 2.5L I4 6 Speed Automatic

Cargo Area Cover, OEM Front and Rear Mud Flaps, Weathertech Cargo Liner, DigitalFit FloorLiners, AVS Bugflector II

Kenwood DDX6902S, Maestro RR, Pioneer GM-D1004, Rockford Fosgate Prime R168X2 Speakers, Kenwood KAC-M3001, Rockford Fosgate P3SD48 P3 Punch Subwoofer

Factory Rearview Camera, Factory Subwoofer Box

LED Dome Lights, LED Cargo Area Light, LED License Plate Lights

Ambient Air Temperature Sensor
Kurochan

E-C LEVEL 2
My vehicle: 2010 Escape XLT FWD 2.5L I4
My vehicle's name: Kurochan

Postby Squirrel - June 24th, 2016, 5:45 pm

Kurochan wrote:Loved your review of this product, here and on Amazon, too.

Decided to buy it as it looks like it will be a good, affordable and not too difficult project to add to my Escape.

Cool! I think you'll like it alot!

CAUTION!!! The steel bumper itself that is behind the bumper cover is directly behind where my 2 middle sensors were placed. There IS NOT enough 'resonable' room for the sensors to be located there and need to go higher I think. :rant:

CAUTION!!! Once you drill, you are committed! :taz:
Squirrel

E-C LEVEL 4

Postby Kurochan - June 24th, 2016, 6:36 pm

Thanks for the warnings. I'll be careful.

I've measured/photographed the factory install locations and plan to investigate installing there, but will adjust as necessary.

Cargo Area Cover, OEM Front and Rear Mud Flaps, Weathertech Cargo Liner, DigitalFit FloorLiners, AVS Bugflector II

Kenwood DDX6902S, Maestro RR, Pioneer GM-D1004, Rockford Fosgate Prime R168X2 Speakers, Kenwood KAC-M3001, Rockford Fosgate P3SD48 P3 Punch Subwoofer

Kurochan

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby Squirrel - July 3rd, 2016, 4:40 pm

SO, have you installed it yet?
Squirrel

E-C LEVEL 4

Postby Kurochan - July 3rd, 2016, 7:02 pm

Sadly, not yet. We're still waiting on some of our items to be delivered. I've set aside next weekend to do the work on day where my wife doesn't need the truck.

I am planning to swap out the cabin LEDs tonight, though!

Kurochan

E-C LEVEL 2

Postby Squirrel - July 3rd, 2016, 8:46 pm

:shades: PIMP DAT RIDE! :thumb:
Squirrel

E-C LEVEL 4

Return to Product Reviews