Block heater?

Share your product reviews here!
Forum rules
Product reviews are provided for your enjoyment. These reviews reflect the opinions of members who have used these products and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Escape City. This forum is not intended for sales. Posts deemed to be sales-oriented are subject to removal by moderators of Escape City. Thank you for your understanding!

Re: Block heater?

Postby boogie_4wheel - October 8th, 2015, 9:48 am

A couple years back I looked in to adding a block heater on mine. It replaces a freeze plug, and I want to say it was going to be about $150 installed at the dealership. It was dipping to -20*F. Slow cranking was expected, but it always started. And I was fortunate enough to allow 10min+ warmup time since it was parked right in front of my camp trailer.

I had added a block heater to a '97 GMC gas I had, it was a great upgrade, and I used it all winter for quicker warmups.

I prefer block heaters to remote start, but I also have easy access to my vehicles.
'05 3.0L/Auto, AWD, 259k, stock engine and trans
'05 Dodge 2500, Cummins/48RE, QCLB, 4wd, some aftermarket goodies
'12 Buick Enclave, Premium AWD
'07 Honda VTX-1800T, tons of add-ons including electronic cruise control
'96 Honda XR400R, 426 sleeve, ported head, cam, carb, pipe, street legal
boogie_4wheel

E-C LEVEL 3
Congratulations on reaching 250 posts!
My nickname: Stoner
My vehicle: 2005 XLT 3.0L AWD

Postby MadMax - October 8th, 2015, 4:53 pm

My issues leaned more toward a freezing battery, so I got a battery warmer. That did the trick. Car starts instantly on the coldest of mornings :thumb:
2010 Escape XLT 3.0 V6 AWD, Sun and Sync. Mods: OEM Running boards modded with LED lighting and red accent. LED lighting lower bumper front and rear. Paramount Grille, LED DRLs and fog lights, Interior LED accents, Custom Mud Flaps, Body side and bumper moldings, Blackened fog light bezels and ESCAPE letters, Chrome wheel skins, Tail light guards, Chrome exhaust tip, Custom roof rack with Carbon Fiber and red accents, Strut Tower bar, K&N filter, AVS Vent Visors

Formerly: 2006 Mazda Tribute

"Because I can... and I did, sure won't do that again"
MadMax
Super Moderator

E-C LEVEL 17

Postby MazdaShark - October 8th, 2015, 9:56 pm

Yeah like I said I'm trying to spare the life of my head gaskets from the wear and tear of driving with no warm up time so I'm looking into an easier install application too, such as a heater that hooks in between the upper radiator hose. Anyone used one of these for a first gen V6?
MazdaShark
Banned User

E-C LEVEL 3

Postby boogie_4wheel - October 9th, 2015, 12:11 am

MazdaShark wrote:such as a heater that hooks in between the upper radiator hose. Anyone used one of these for a first gen V6?

I tried one of those in-line jobbers on that '97 GMC truck I mentioned above. It sucked. Complete waste of electricity. That is when I did the freeze plug unit.

It would work well at keeping dogs water bucket from freezing, but did nothing on the small block V8.
'05 3.0L/Auto, AWD, 259k, stock engine and trans
'05 Dodge 2500, Cummins/48RE, QCLB, 4wd, some aftermarket goodies
'12 Buick Enclave, Premium AWD
'07 Honda VTX-1800T, tons of add-ons including electronic cruise control
'96 Honda XR400R, 426 sleeve, ported head, cam, carb, pipe, street legal
boogie_4wheel

E-C LEVEL 3
Congratulations on reaching 250 posts!
My nickname: Stoner
My vehicle: 2005 XLT 3.0L AWD

Postby Mike Dee - October 9th, 2015, 7:09 am

If you are just looking for a cheap, simple and maybe temporary solution, when I was 20 or so lol, I used a magnetic heater, just stuck it to the middle of the block and used it on very cold days, it stuck there for years and I think I removed it when I scrapped the car.
It wouldnt be as effective so you would need it turned on much longer because it would have to warm the block before the coolant starts to warm up. They would be much more effective on thinner steel like oil pans or oil tanks for home furnace oil. For some reason they wont stick to an aluminum oil pan lol.
Mike Dee

E-C LEVEL 3

Postby escape05xls - October 9th, 2015, 2:11 pm

I put a pro heat pad on my oil pan for my 2005 XLS and it worked great. I would have it plugged in and on a timer so 2 hours before I went to work it would be heating.

http://proheatproducts.com/index.php?ma ... el4mcgede5

Fairly cheap and easy to install.
2015 Escape Titanium 2.0 EB AWD
escape05xls

E-C LEVEL 6
My vehicle: 2015 Escape 2.0 EB AWD

Postby MazdaShark - October 9th, 2015, 4:11 pm

What's the con of leaving the heater on all night I'm curious?
MazdaShark
Banned User

E-C LEVEL 3

Postby escape05xls - October 9th, 2015, 4:53 pm

MazdaShark wrote:What's the con of leaving the heater on all night I'm curious?

Use of power, for me at least.
2015 Escape Titanium 2.0 EB AWD
escape05xls

E-C LEVEL 6
My vehicle: 2015 Escape 2.0 EB AWD

Postby Mike Dee - October 9th, 2015, 4:58 pm

I dont like leaving things unattended for extended periods, but thats me, If I'm plugged in then I like to park away from my garage a bit in case something happens, but I think most heaters only get to a certain temp before they shut off so that theres not much chance of them boiling away your oil as you sleep lol. A timer is good because it allows you to turn it on when needed, instead of 12 hours early when you get home from work the previous day. Many people and companies leave their vehicles plugged in for the same amount of time with no issues, if hydro is expensive than many use timers.
My issue is wasting hydro and possible risk of fire, even though its slim, you decide for yourself.
Mike Dee

E-C LEVEL 3

Postby MTNEscaped - October 9th, 2015, 5:19 pm

Loved the one I put in my 71' F-350 dually as it made the defrost instant! Looks like they make one for our Scapes:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Heater-f ... 15&vxp=mtr
2008 Ford Escape XLT 4WD
Plain Jane with K & N filter / Optima yellow top battery / Goodyear Gatorback serpentine belt / Sensen front struts
30+ years of ford parts that do me no good at all on MTNEscaped !
MTNEscaped

E-C LEVEL 3
My nickname: Mtnman
My vehicle: 2008 XLT Escape 4WD
My vehicle's name: MTNEscaped

PreviousNext

Return to Product Reviews