Block heater?

Share your product reviews here!
Forum rules
Product reviews are provided for your enjoyment. These reviews reflect the opinions of members who have used these products and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Escape City. This forum is not intended for sales. Posts deemed to be sales-oriented are subject to removal by moderators of Escape City. Thank you for your understanding!

Block heater?

Postby MazdaShark - October 7th, 2015, 5:19 pm

Has anyone ever put or seen a block heater in a 1st gen V6? I really will be needing one to avoid head gasket issues this winter but can't find a good kit that doesn't look cheaply made. Any ideas are super helpful thanks!
MazdaShark
Banned User

E-C LEVEL 3

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: Block heater?

Postby FRENCHY - October 7th, 2015, 6:18 pm

Block heater are standard here in Canada, I have one from factory in my 02 and 05 in the past :thumb:
15 YEARS OF DRIVING FORD ESCAPE
2011 Ford Escape LTD Tuxedo Black Metallic-EX RIDE, 3 other Escape, My Father has my ex 2008 E Limited
-I am sold with Ford, sorry other brand - I try your car everytime before buying a Ford.

Pics of my E viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7758&start=30#p366903
FRENCHY
Sympatico Modérateur, membre du comité d'accueil, et la première affiche sur le quatrième serveur de E-C

E-C LEVEL 21
My nickname: Frenchy
My vehicle: 2011 Ford Escape Limited/SAP
My vehicle's name: TFO(The Fourth One)

Postby Mike Dee - October 7th, 2015, 7:15 pm

The only ones I've seen are put in thru a frost plug and then tightened with a nut or wingnut or something, I rarely use them, most vehicles here in Canada will do fine to -20 to -25C (-10F or so) with no block heater, when it gets that cold I will sometimes plug it in on a timer that starts 3-4 hours before I leave...if I remember, but I dont have to. After -25 then things dont like to start.
The biggest problems are usually batteries, many vehicles have battery blanket warmers as well as a block heater which helps, but I dont think these vehicles have them. My dodge has the blanket so am thinking about just grabbing one with the wiring from a wrecker.
Remember, wind chill doesnt affect vehicles, they may cool down faster, but for a car, -20 with a -35 wind chill is still only -20 to a car.
Mike Dee

E-C LEVEL 4
Congratulations on reaching 500 posts!

Postby MazdaShark - October 8th, 2015, 6:36 am

Interesting I wonder why I can't find an actual Ford part number. Maybe that means a stealership trip :hyst: but I do get what you mean about the wind chill not effecting much.

I have the problem of not getting any time to let the Mazda warm up before I take off, which obviously does some damage. Maybe a remote start would be easier I suppose if I can't find any.
MazdaShark
Banned User

E-C LEVEL 3

Postby MazdaShark - October 8th, 2015, 6:45 am

Spent another hour digging to find this guy

http://www.carid.com/kats-heaters/freez ... 11409.html

I am sure that's super overpriced but it's a part number for anyone's future endeavors.

If the car doesn't come with these default then is there simply a normal plug in there place?
MazdaShark
Banned User

E-C LEVEL 3

Postby Mike Dee - October 8th, 2015, 6:53 am

I installed a remote start about 5 years ago, never really thought of them before that, but probably wont go back to not using them, the same as snow tires lol. For me it saves a couple minutes getting dressed then running down a flight of stairs and outside to start the car, then back in again. Even when its warm out I use it, I prefer to have the oil circulating and a bit of expansion to take place before I put a load on the engine so will start as I'm putting my shoes on.
I havent done a remote in any of these yet, but plan to do 2 of them this year.
Many people say to not start it a second early and thats their choice, I do what I do and have vehicles that last a long time, I dont get rid of them every couple years and dont drive the crap out of them.
I remember a friend of mine with a crapbox mazda glc or something, he would put it in first, not use the clutch, turn the key and the starter would slowly move the car until it started and then tear out of the driveway lol, the gas pedal didnt leave the floor much. It was kinda fun and neat when you were 20, but I wouldnt want to buy something thats been abused like that lol.
Mike Dee

E-C LEVEL 4

Postby Mike Dee - October 8th, 2015, 6:58 am

MazdaShark wrote:
If the car doesn't come with these default then is there simply a normal plug in there place?

Yes, the frost plugs, they are a round piece of stamped steel that you knock out. They are supposed to pop out and save your block from cracking in the winter if you accidentally use water instead of antifreeze or something like that lol, I'm sure theres many videos, but havent actually looked. You will notice them, about 3 circles going horizontally on an engine block, not the head.
Mike Dee

E-C LEVEL 4

Postby MazdaShark - October 8th, 2015, 7:22 am

Huh, I figured they might have the standard 3/8 ratchet fitting in them to thread out when you're putting the freeze plugs in. Bugger. Is your remote start a viper? Don't know if I have anyone id trust with the install too though.
MazdaShark
Banned User

E-C LEVEL 3

Postby Mike Dee - October 8th, 2015, 7:59 am

I'm not sure what kind of frost plug is in these, I never really do anything with them, just barely notice them if I'm looking at the block. If a vehicle comes with a block heater I may use it a few times, but I havent had a car that hasnt started down to -25C yet and thats about the coldest we get and maybe only a few days a year.

I have a prostart, not sure who makes it, but its one of the pricier ones that retail almost $300 but go on sale for 100-150 1-2 times a year. Its got about 2400 foot range (ideal) and I've started my car from a good 1/4 mile away so the range is impressive, you dont have to stand 10 feet away to start it lol. It takes about a day, I solder everything and try to route wires out of the way and hidden, I prefer to have the factory look and not something that people say "I can see that you do all your own work" lol. Some vehicles have certain tricks or extra parts you need to make some of the options work.
Its been 5 years and used almost every day, uses a single AAA which is a bonus and I havent had any issues at all, sometimes the remote doesnt chime when it starts, but thats about it.
Mike Dee

E-C LEVEL 4

Postby FRENCHY - October 8th, 2015, 9:36 am

I never ever had problem starting my E's in the cold Canada's winter, never plug the block heater, now with my factory remote start, my E start every mornings that God and mother nature gives us :thumb: :thumb:
15 YEARS OF DRIVING FORD ESCAPE
2011 Ford Escape LTD Tuxedo Black Metallic-EX RIDE, 3 other Escape, My Father has my ex 2008 E Limited
-I am sold with Ford, sorry other brand - I try your car everytime before buying a Ford.

Pics of my E viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7758&start=30#p366903
FRENCHY
Sympatico Modérateur, membre du comité d'accueil, et la première affiche sur le quatrième serveur de E-C

E-C LEVEL 21
My nickname: Frenchy
My vehicle: 2011 Ford Escape Limited/SAP
My vehicle's name: TFO(The Fourth One)

Next

Return to Product Reviews