Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Firestone Destination LE2 - first impressions

11K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  gapcomputer 
#1 ·
I replaced my worn out Michelin Cross Terrains about 2 weeks ago. They had hardened up and were very close to the wear bars, not good for winter. As the LTX MS2 is not available in 225/65R17 or even close to it, I shopped around and eventually went with the Destination LE2 after my dealer and an independent tire shop recommended them. It was between these and the Dueller Alenzas, but given the Alenzas are in their last year I figured they would not be the best choice.

Note the Cross Terrains are also discontinued.

First impressions:
- way, way quieter than the Cross Terrains, even when they were new. A HUGE improvement on concrete roads.
- way smoother than the cross terrains, especially on grooved pavement.
- slightly lighter steering feel but not a huge difference
- Good handling in dry - comparable with cross terrains when they were newer
- AMAZING wet handling - leagues ahead of the cross terrains, again, even when new
- 1 bout of light snow - only a dusting, but snow on the road and a bit slippery - handled very well and very confidently. At least as good as the cross terrains when they were new.

So, all in all, after about 1,000km, they are good stuff, and $400 cheaper than Latitude Tours which are poorly rated on snow and ice. They are a new design and they seem to be a popular one. They are also rated #1 on tire rack, although with not a lot of miles posted due to how new they are.

See less See more
#2 ·
Great review. I am trying to figure out what to do about my Lats when they are done (57K so far!). I was thinking about making the permanent switch to the 18x8" Mustang wheels and the Pirelli Scorpion Verdes looked like a decent choice. I know someone who recently installed 18x8" wheels used those tires but I have not asked about his opinion on the tires so far... but it looks like I can put the FD LE2 into consideration too.

#3 ·
I'm very happy so far. Could have spent more and been less satisfied I suspect.

I only got 74000 km out of the cross terrains - about 46,000 miles. I could have gone to 50000 miles if it was summer but they were hard as a rock and down to between 3/32 and 4/32. For the price, not horribly impressed. But I generally find Michelin OE tires to be less than impressive, but their replacement tires are generally good. Ditto for Bridgestone/Firestone.

I'm generally a bridgestone man but all signs pointed to these Firestones (I know, same company)

18" wheels are screaming for the Yoko Prada X's, IMO. Or the new Destination STs.

If you go the 18s, get a set of 16" Blizzaks for the winter and put them on your OE wheels. Low profile Sport Truck tires don't generally get along with Ontario - or Minnesota - winters!

#4 ·
I agree on the winter tires note. I was originally contemplating doing a permanent replacement but it probably wouldn't hurt to keep the 16s around. It only snowed three days last year! With the 18s I'm still running a 60-profile tire so it's not quite low profile yet. 235/60R18 would be the all year replacement; 255/55R18 would be three-seasons.

#5 ·
I've heard some folks say they got about 100,000 miles out of a set of Latitude Tours on an Escape. I have a set of Michelins on my pickup truck with about 40,000 miles on them, and they still look like new.

Tang said:
Great review. I am trying to figure out what to do about my Lats when they are done (57K so far!). I was thinking about making the permanent switch to the 18x8" Mustang wheels and the Pirelli Scorpion Verdes looked like a decent choice. I know someone who recently installed 18x8" wheels used those tires but I have not asked about his opinion on the tires so far... but it looks like I can put the FD LE2 into consideration too.

#6 ·
The Latitudes have a 720 treadwear rating so they are supposed to average around 51,000 miles. How 100,000 is attainable is beyond me, but my dealership said they were replacing them at almost 90K intervals.

#7 ·
Sorry - from years of experience in the auto business, and tires in particular, I swap tires at a maximum of 60K miles no matter what, and usually at 50K miles. Tires need tread depth, yes, but they need pliable rubber a lot more. The base layer on most all season, and ALL winter tires, is hard rubber to keep it stable - basically anything below 5/32". So if it gets cold or wet out, they simply don't grip.

Winter tires should be replaced at 6/32" or 5 winters use, regardless of tread depth, or they are no safer than an all season tire. Blizzaks and other "good" winter tires become all season tires at 5-6/32" due to the rubber compound and the sipes wearing out.

There was a lobby by the tire industry a number of years ago to get the wear bars at 4/32" instead of 2/32" - similar to Europe where the minimum is 4mm, or 5/32". It was seen as a cash grab by the tire industry and killed. (Like the snow tire propaganda ISN'T a cash grab??)

#9 ·
After a 50 mile run from Toronto to Barrie through a blizzard today - through snow and black ice - I give these LE2 a high grade for winter use.

They are not a snow tire, but given their all season status they perform very well in the cold, on ice and through about 2" of snow and ruts on the road. They are comparable to the cross terrains in snow but superior on the ice for sure. I suspect the more modern Silica tread compound gets the credit there.

Now, I have to go home in the same crap. But these tires do very well indeed.

#10 ·
The parents have revealed that they wish to chip in towards the purchase of new tires as a Christmas gift... and I also checked to see that both the ST and LE2 are Firestone tire options at the size I'd need them for the Mustang wheels. The ST run $20 more per tire than the LE2 and the LE2 has a better tire wear rating than the ST and also the Pirellis I was looking at. Decisions, decisions...

#11 ·
My neighbour has ST's on his Honda CRV (I think it is a 2007 - same tire size as my 17"). He likes them a lot but said he figures he's only get 60-70km out of them (about 40-45K miles). He had them last winter when we basically got no snow so he has no input as to winter performance, but says they do really well in the rain.

He recommended the LE2 over the ST as well, says that's what he'll buy next time. He bought the CRV used and the dealer put the ST's on it as a used car so he didn't choose them. In our market (that would be the grossly overpriced Canadian tire market) the price is about the same for both the LE2 and ST.

I would also point out to the Canadians that the Firestone and Bridgestone tires on Tirerack are priced pretty much the same in Canada as the US. Michelin and Continental and all their brands tend to be 30-50% more expensive in Canada. Also a key part of my decision to go with Firestone (or Bridgestone) - they don't bend the Canadian consumer over, and the LE2s are made in Canada!

#14 ·
Tang said:
Where are you able to dig up manufacturing location info on a tire??
Tire Rack provides the info in the Specs section of each tire. Not all sizes are made in the same places, interestingly.

What I did learn is that Continental is using the former Eastern Bloc - and surely its acquisition of Barum Tires - for most of its manufacturing; Poland and Czech are where most of those "German" tires are coming from.

#15 ·
I for one will never buy Michelins. I have a 2011 with the Michelin Cross Touring tires. I have just logged 25,000 miles on my Escape and the tires need replaced. I have faithfully rotated the tires every 5000 miles and they are still worn down to the tread bars. On top of that, my front tire had 6 separate leaks within the tread pattern. Belle Tire said that they are caused by rot and Michelin does not cover that due to "ozone damage". These are tires rated for 65,000 miles and I only managed to get 25,000 out of them. If that is what a premier tire company sells, I will do without.

I also am going with the Firestone Destination LE2's. After extensive research they look like the best bang for the buck.

#16 ·
Gosh, all these positive reviews. It's this tire, Pirelli's Scorpion Verde All Season, or Goodyear's Assurance CS TripleTred All-Season (I'm looking for 235/60R18s... to fit my new 18" wheels). All three tires are rated pretty well on TireRack based on surveys. All are pretty new-to-market tires too.

#17 ·
Years ago I took a Firestone training class and one of the things they were sure to make mention of what a patented additive they had in their rubber compounds which resisted dry rot. Being that they are owned by Bridgestone, I was surprised to see a set of Turanza's suffering from dry rot; but I can say I never did see this happen with any of the 'stones i ever had on my vehicles.

#18 ·
Got the LE2's installed last night. They replaced some Remington Wide Brute A/W's. All I have to is OMG what a difference. Definitely more quiet, better dry handling, and a softer ride. Have yet to drive it in rain or snow. Will update when it happens. :beer:

#19 ·
After 3000km, I am impressed with this tire in all respects except one. In summary:

THE GOOD
- quieter than the Cross Terrains
- handle snow and wet better than any all season tire i've ever used
- track dead straight and don't wander with ruts/grooves in the road

THE "Meh"
- they transfer road bumps more than the cross terrains. This is good and bad. While I can tell pavement texture with these things, and the associated ripples etc, I also know that I have traction in bad weather. It isn't horrid, but they provide a less "Buick-like" ride

THE BAD
- They flat spot in the cold. Even after a few hours. It takes 2-3 miles to warm them up and get the flat spots out. Friends with Firestone products and other Bridgestone products complain about this as well, and I had this issue with a set of Blizzaks in the past. I don't think it is a true "Bias Ply" style flatspot, more like the tread flatspotting, especially below zero. It isn't a dealbreaker for me as it goes away with a bit of driving, and is really only noticable above 40mph prior to that, but it is something I would consider if I needed another set of tires, especially living in a cooler climate.

#20 ·
Thanks for the review. When you say below zero, should I assume that is celcius because you are in Canada? I haven't noticed any dead-spotting on my original LE's in the 2 years I've had them. We've been below freezing (single digits F overnight) all last week and this past weekend but overall, we've been fairly warm this winter.

#21 ·
RobtRoma said:
Thanks for the review. When you say below zero, should I assume that is celcius because you are in Canada? I haven't noticed any dead-spotting on my original LE's in the 2 years I've had them. We've been below freezing (single digits F overnight) all last week and this past weekend but overall, we've been fairly warm this winter.
:) Yes, below 0 Celcius. 32F. I guess I should say "freezing".

A friend with LEs said his flat spotted the first winter he had them and has not done it since. He has them on a Pilot - a much heavier vehicle, and the load rating on his size is 104 vs 102 in my size. So maybe mine just need to break in.

It's a bit annoying but not the end of the world. The price/traction value of it makes you have to accept some quirks IMO. They are great driving tires in all other respects and truly impressive in the wet, snow and ice - far, far superior to the Cross Terrains, even when new.

IMO for winter, the LE2s are as good as a set of mid range snow tires - maybe can't beat Blizzaks or Xice in the snow and ice, but as good as anything else I've driven in a winter tire, and I've had a variety.

#22 ·
I now have had my Firestones for about 3000 miles. I live in Michigan and anyone that is familiar with Michigan knows that we get all the seasons during the winter. I have to say these tires provide much better grip wet, dry or snow than the Michelins that they replaced. Very happy with this purchase, just wish that it wasn't forced upon me by an inferior tire.

#23 ·
Just out of curiosity Porthuronguy where did you pick up you Firestones?
I know that I will be heading out of Ontario to buy mine and best price i found so for is in NY state at $142 each installed. Port Huron would be a closer drive (just an hour down the road) if I can find the right price.

#24 ·
I have had my Destination LE2s for around 2500 miles, the first week being a snow/ice event in which they performed well. I did notice the dealer has them inflated to 37 PSI cold. Ford's recommendation for tire pressure is 30 PSI. I am thinking of adjusting to 32-34 for a better ride. Any thoughts?

#26 ·
My local firestone did it for $711 CDN taxes in, and that was in Burlington, ON (Fairview Tire and Auto). No alignment (not needed as the car had recently been rear ended and insurance did it) but lifetime tire rotations.

I may have saved a few bucks heading to Buffalo, but through tire Rack the price was going to be $500 for the tires, plus $60 shipping, plus NYS 7% tax ($35), plus another $60-80 mount and balance through one of their approved providers.

A local store in Buffalo, Elmwood Tire, actually quoted me higher than the Canadian Firestone dealer and Tire Rack, but included lifetime rotations as well. Remember CDN residents also won't get the mail in rebates....

Add to that the very real possibility of paying HST at the border - no declaring them could mean vehicle seizure - and the general hassle of it all, it wasn't worth saving less than $50.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.