2005 Hybrid suffers low GPM, high rpms and low torque (HP)

Finally, a forum for E/M/T Hybrid owners? What a concept!

2005 Hybrid suffers low GPM, high rpms and low torque (HP)

Postby rjdapirate - September 9th, 2016, 4:55 pm

Hello everyone,
I've been having problems with my 2005 Ford escape hybrid (165331 miles) and I was hoping someone could enlighten me. Over the past two months, I have seen a severely decreased mpg and high RPMs on the engine during standard non-hilly driving. This vehicle has already suffered the rear main seal failure (replaced) and a exhaust manifold oil gasket (replaced). It's either got an internal leak or is burning through the oil supply in less than 3000 miles. When the engine is revving high it will's show in assist mode for a couple of seconds but then quickly changes over to charge mode even while i'm still trying to get up to speed. I'm really starting to wonder if the batteries just simply don't have enough power anymore but I can drive in electric mode for an extended period of time as long as I remain below 25 mph. The car just doesn't seem to have a pick up anymore.
rjdapirate

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My nickname: RJDaPirate
My vehicle: 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: 2005 Hybrid suffers low GPM, high rpms and low torque (H

Postby Linna - September 10th, 2016, 9:35 am

It's always impossible to accurately diagnose over the internet, but areas for consideration (based on experience) are:
1) high voltage battery cooling - rear blend door, battery fan assembly, A/C cooling lines to rear
2) Bad air/fuel mixture - airflow sensors, spark plugs, fuel pump, filters, etc
A qualified technician with a good scanner should be able to accurately identify the cause of your situation. 25mph does sound about right though for good EV mode, especially for 4WD.
Linna

E-C LEVEL 6
My vehicle: 2007 Ford Escape 4WD

Postby smogchecktech - September 13th, 2016, 11:53 pm

My 2007 is suffering from the same condition. Feels to me almost like a slipping clutch but I'm starting to think the hybrid system is not assisting as much as it should be. I recharged the A/c and am no expert but could recharging the A/C system incorrectly affect the hybrid cooling. I also think I need a new MECS pump as I got the triangle and pull over message with no throttle response. My question is could the cooling be my entire problem and my battery may not be charging correctly because of this and be suffering from low power with high rpms because of this? I did replace my fan assemblies for the hybrid battery since it had codes for it and I did discover only one fan was working. Now both fans work and I have no codes for it. I do have a regenerative braking code disabled and cam sensor code but when I brake the meter does go to charge and I can see the battery charging on the screen. My battery never goes past half way up and drains very fast. I'm tempted to put a MECS pump in it and recharge the A/C to see what happens. I'm getting around 23mpg which I know is low. Did this problem ever get fixed
smogchecktech

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Jay2TheRescue - September 14th, 2016, 12:06 am

If it is your coolant pump, you can get it done for free at a Ford dealer as the pump has been recalled.

Jay2TheRescue

E-C LEVEL 10
My vehicle: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4x4
My vehicle's name: The Toaster

Postby rjdapirate - September 14th, 2016, 7:29 am

Took Linna's advice and started replacing filters this past Sunday. Fuel and engine air intake filter first and the GPM has improved and high RPM has reduced. Replaced the battery air filter last night (thank you Amazon). While the car was jacked up I checked out the friction levels in the brakes. The rear tires were making noticeable noise so the parts to replace are on the way.
rjdapirate

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Jay2TheRescue - September 14th, 2016, 3:29 pm

I don't know how much you paid on Amazon for the battery filter, but it is only about $5 on Rock Auto. I replace that filter at each oil change.

Jay2TheRescue

E-C LEVEL 10

Postby rjdapirate - January 10th, 2017, 8:25 am

This vehicle was totaled in December 2016. We never solved the mystery.
rjdapirate

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Jay2TheRescue - January 10th, 2017, 9:27 am

:(

Jay2TheRescue

E-C LEVEL 10