While searching for a Ford TSB for tailgate / hatch leaks, I found this TSB.
On Feb. 07, 2014, Ford issued a TSB relating to the steering:http://www.automd.com/tsb/bulletin_b367228/ 2009 Ford Escape Steering Service Bulletin 367228
NHTSA: Action Number: 10054916 Service Bulletin Number: 367228
Report Date: Feb 07, 2014
Summary: Ford/mercury: if diagnostic code b2278 is stored in power steering control module (pscm), it needs replacing with torque sensor service kit that is available and if not, does not apply. Model 2008-2012 escape, 2008-2011 mariner.
I'd speculate this is not the same as the problem requiring replacement of the whole steering column/rack. I understand the more serious problem does not generate a diagnostic code.
There are two or three other TSB's relating to less serious but probably unrelated problems with the steering.
2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara JLX-L, ~Maroon Red
2009 Escape Hybrid Limited AWD, Black, bought Jan.2013
- replaced ambient temperature sensor
- replaced hvac blend door motor
- updated SYNC software
- replaced water pump
- brake job
- replaced steering column
- replaced TPMS sensor
- multiple rear hatch water leaks fixed
- rattle in dashboard resolved as loose bolt in steering column coupler
- replaced underbody a/c lines to rear hvac
- replaced backup sensor
- replaced sway bar links
- replaced one outer tie rod (105,000 miles)
- replaced right front wheel bearing
- replaced ball joints
- another brake job