2006 Escape Hybrid Connecting Rod Knock

Finally, a forum for E/M/T Hybrid owners? What a concept!

2006 Escape Hybrid Connecting Rod Knock

Postby twntrbo - May 9th, 2016, 7:24 pm

Hi All
I just bought this FEH and it has a bad rod knock. I am considering either rebuilding the existing engine or possibly trying to convert to 2.5L as is posted in Power Train sub forum. Is the conversion possible on the Hybrid or am I just going to have to rebuild. I am open to all suggestions, I am located in Northern Virginia by Dulles airport.
Ray
twntrbo

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!
My vehicle: 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid

Remove Advertisements

Escape-City.com
Advertisement

Re: 2006 Escape Hybrid Connecting Rod Knock

Postby Linna - May 10th, 2016, 11:31 pm

As you probably know, tearing down a modern DOHC engine like an Escape is a lot of work. You might get lucky and find a wrecked FEH with a good long block for a swap.
The later 2.5L has a totally different hybrid powertrain/battery pack.
Linna

E-C LEVEL 6
My vehicle: 2007 Ford Escape 4WD

Postby Jay2TheRescue - May 11th, 2016, 8:28 am

Yeah, it may be possible, but how much time and money are you willing to put into it? I'd get an engine from a wrecked FEH at a wrecker and just replace it.

Oh, and I'm in Sterling too! :)P

Jay2TheRescue

E-C LEVEL 10
My vehicle: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4x4
My vehicle's name: The Toaster

Postby Jay2TheRescue - May 11th, 2016, 8:32 am

Jay2TheRescue

E-C LEVEL 10

Postby twntrbo - May 11th, 2016, 5:55 pm

I had been reading the 2.3 to 2.5 swap success viewtopic.php?f=12&t=29538#p381980 in the Powertrain Mods sub forum and it has motivated me primarily due to price, availability and maybe a bit more power. I just dont know about the compatibility with the hybrid systems.
twntrbo

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Linna - May 14th, 2016, 10:43 am

twntrbo wrote:I had been reading the 2.3 to 2.5 swap success http://escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 38#p381980 in the Powertrain Mods sub forum and it has motivated me primarily due to price, availability and maybe a bit more power. I just dont know about the compatibility with the hybrid systems.

FEHs have special Atkinson cycle internal combustion engines that work differently than conventional (Otto) cycle engines which is why that conversion isn't that relevant to an FEH.
Ford also changed a lot of other key components with the 2.5L hybrid (regen braking system, traction battery, etc) .
Linna

E-C LEVEL 6
My vehicle: 2007 Ford Escape 4WD

Postby twntrbo - February 28th, 2017, 3:52 pm

It has been a LONG time since I originally posted about my FEH, life gets in the way.
I thought that I would follow up and let everyone know the beast is finally up and running great.
I pulled the engine only the hard way (from the top), then pulled the auto trans. My transmission jack was not strong enough to pull both at the same time.
The trans is heavier than the engine. When I pulled the engine apart (it really is no different than the duratek 2.3 other than cams and pistons) the number 1 rod bearing was shot and damaged the rod journal on the crank. Replacement cranks are pricey, so I had mine welded up and machined at a shop in Stafford, VA. I had my local machine shop do a valve job on the head a had to buy 1 rod, 4 pistons (ring land was cracked and you cant just buy one piston, at least every where I and my machine shop checked), rod and main bearings, oil pump, head bolts, harmonic balancer bolt, gasket set, water pump. The engine went together within specs and rather easily, the hardest part was timing the cams and that was not bad (I had bought this {BETOOLL HW8005 Camshaft Timing Locking Setting Tools Kit for Ford Mazda Fiesta Volvo Engine} on amazon for $18.00). I put the engine and trans together on bench and put on my new heavy duty trans jack and went easy.
I just wanted to thank everyone for their input and let everyone know that it can be done and parts and machine work was about $ 1000.00 and my labor was free.

Ray
twntrbo

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Postby Jay2TheRescue - February 28th, 2017, 5:51 pm

Congrats on getting it running again! I didn't notice before, but I'm in Sterling too, (and I grew up in Stafford). Small world.

Jay2TheRescue

E-C LEVEL 10

Postby [Philly] - May 16th, 2017, 12:21 am

Wow! I think splitting the engine and trans and pulling them out the top is the hard way to do it. I pulled them together in my driveway. First raise the front end as high as possible on jack stands. Then, using a tilt adaptor with a regular engine hoist, grab engine/trans from the top. Unbolt the motor mounts and then simply lower engine/trans to rest on the legs of the engine hoist. Chain it in place so it doesn't roll off. Disconnect the tilt adaptor from the top of the engine/trans and roll the engine hoist carrying the engine/trans out from under.

Of course, this is really simplified. There are about 35 other steps along the way to free and clear the way.
[Philly]

E-C ROOKIE
WELCOME TO E-C!

Return to Hybrid Green Zone